Which one would you pick for daily car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soc_fans
My 997s is an 05s and it has 24k miles on it now. I feel that i'm driving her too much (Well i can't help it as she gives a grin on my face whenever i'm driving )
My Cayenne S is an 04 model and has 47K miles on it! My 1988 951 has 133K miles on it (I'm responsible for about 30K.) My 2000 Audi S4 has 103K miles on it.

There is a lot of wisdom is what 911Dave says about these cars being designed for longevity. Of course, there is also a point to be made about the "quality" of the miles being put on the car. If your Porsche daily driver gets subjected to lots of stop-and-go driving, potholed city streets, winter snow/ice/salt/etc., then it's not a bad idea to "reduce the abuse" and have an alternate commuter car. I'm looking for my new 987S to be a fair weather daily driver, but I want to keep the Audi because it's still a blast to drive, it has Quattro and snow tires for the winter, and while the overall finish is still in great shape it does have a few minor cosmetic nicks and I don't have to be especially paranoid where I park it and what I put it through.

I think any of the choices you mention would be a fine "alternate" car, but be sure you don't let that 997 that gives you so many grins become a "garage queen!"

Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

+1 on the A3 2.0 DSG. Just bought one and love it. It's really engaging to drive and the DSG makes the auto very appealing. Interior quality very nice.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy another porsche and have two awesome toys.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Three things to know about the 2007 Mini Cooper:
1) For the manual shift cars, the brake stays engaged for a second after you release it to allow you to work the clutch on a hill (awesome feature, btw)
2) Mini recently launched the auto transmission for the 2007 model year
3) The 2007 model year is much more civilized than the 2006 and prior... The car is more roomy, more ergonomic, AND quicker (more hp) than the previous version.

You have a nice list of choices however!

-B
EDIT: don't forgot, maintenance is included for a Mini as well - 3yrs/36K as opposed to BMW's 4/50... I am now off my Mini soap box...

Last edited by blake; 06-26-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to drive auto then consider a used Prius. Don't waste your time with a Mini - the auto is 'orrible.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Greenwillie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would anyone not want to get into their porsche everyday? If you think it's getting to many miles trade it!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:09 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Here is my order;

1. BMW
2. Audi A3 2.0
3. Mini Cooper S
4. VW GTI
I agree. A plus for the BMW is maintenance that's included.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

You're driving your Porsche too much????

I thought that was a good thing

It's your $$$...do what you want.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:18 AM
Tone
Racer

I would say do the earth a favor and chose a Prius....but you'd probably be more environmentally sound by only driving 1 car instead of 2! So there you have it....you'd be doing the environmentally right thing by driving your 911 instead of a Prius :-)
Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 AM
KeyserSoze
7th Gear

Have to clear up some misconceptions brought up in the thread since I have both a Mini MCS and an Audi A3 3.2.

The steptronic automatic MCS was introduced in 2005, same unit that's used in the 2007 MCS. CVT is used in the normal Mini Cooper (non-S) from the start and is quite a different and inferior transmission. I've been very happy with the Step MCS (my second after a 2003 MCS w/manual) and you can't beat the go-kart feel and ease of parking in San Francisco. It also comes quite well equipped for under $30k with all the favorite doodads. If anyone was counting, the new mini is actually bigger than the previous generation (and quite a bit bigger than my old '70 Austrailian CooperS ).

On the Audi A3 side, it too comes very well equipped with all the gizmos for under $40k when you get the 3.2 V6. I picked this version because I didn't want all the torque steer of the FWD 2.0T. The DSG S-Tronic is a nice blend between the street harshness of the BMW SMG unit (great on the track) and garden variety tip/steptronic. The cool thing with the haldex Quattro on the A3 is with a relatively inexpensive control unit you can control how much RWD bias you dial in. With the 2006 cars, dealer service is included (canceled in 2007) and you can also program more features by yourself with a vag-com, such as changing the steering boost so you go from the sloppy default "10" to the a more direct feeling "0". That feature was locked out of being adjustable in 2007.

Just in case you were looking to save some money and buy your new addition used, we're actually putting up the Audi and the Mini up for sale to help finance our first Porsche. Let me know if you're interested via PM and I can send you all the details.

Both are great cars and have features the other lacks, best to figure out what you're interested in using it for and go from there, cheers.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 AM
pride355
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

BMW 328i is the best option from the choices.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 AM
soc_fans
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Have to clear up some misconceptions brought up in the thread since I have both a Mini MCS and an Audi A3 3.2.

The steptronic automatic MCS was introduced in 2005, same unit that's used in the 2007 MCS. CVT is used in the normal Mini Cooper (non-S) from the start and is quite a different and inferior transmission. I've been very happy with the Step MCS (my second after a 2003 MCS w/manual) and you can't beat the go-kart feel and ease of parking in San Francisco. It also comes quite well equipped for under $30k with all the favorite doodads. If anyone was counting, the new mini is actually bigger than the previous generation (and quite a bit bigger than my old '70 Austrailian CooperS ).

On the Audi A3 side, it too comes very well equipped with all the gizmos for under $40k when you get the 3.2 V6. I picked this version because I didn't want all the torque steer of the FWD 2.0T. The DSG S-Tronic is a nice blend between the street harshness of the BMW SMG unit (great on the track) and garden variety tip/steptronic. The cool thing with the haldex Quattro on the A3 is with a relatively inexpensive control unit you can control how much RWD bias you dial in. With the 2006 cars, dealer service is included (canceled in 2007) and you can also program more features by yourself with a vag-com, such as changing the steering boost so you go from the sloppy default "10" to the a more direct feeling "0". That feature was locked out of being adjustable in 2007.

Just in case you were looking to save some money and buy your new addition used, we're actually putting up the Audi and the Mini up for sale to help finance our first Porsche. Let me know if you're interested via PM and I can send you all the details.

Both are great cars and have features the other lacks, best to figure out what you're interested in using it for and go from there, cheers.
Just wondering, how much are you looking to sell your MCS for? Did you lease the MCS? I may be able to assume your lease if you do lease your cars. Let me know.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 AM
DanR
Drifting

stick with the porsche as you may as well enjoy it by driving it rather than having it sitting in the garage. I had a daily drive before which on one hand made me appreciate my 'weekend' car more however after a month or two I found myself always wanting the weekend car no matter what day it was.

Enjoy it
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

audi a3 w/dsg

i think you will gain the most utility with this one. the vw gti is a beautiful auto, not sure if you'll feel comfortable in it. bmw? too nice. mini, cute.

my .02

enjoy your porsche
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

I concur w/2 posters above.. 997S and MINI. Picking up my 2007 MINI S tomorrow to replace current 04 Cooper. New MINI is a solid upgrade to last generation as a daily driver and for 30K you can get all the toys and a boatload of fun.

Minis are suprisingly good "stuff haulers" but I would not attempt to use the back seat for anything other than small kids.

A-3 looks nice and my wife's 2002 A-6 has been flawless

Quick Reply: Which one would you pick for daily car?