Sponsored by:

shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:46 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift ****

Call me a sentimentalist. Saddened by selling my 996 C2 for a 997 C4S (life's tough, huh?). Would my 996 shift **** fit the 997? I'm presuming these are all fitted with standard connectors, but I don't know if I don't ask.

I'd get an OEM **** for my current car and bring my current **** with me (ca/al). The hell with how it looks. Would do it to keep one little piece of the car with me....
Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i kept my carbon shifter from my 2002 boxster s - it fit perfectly in my 997s

i will take it with me when i buy a turbo cab also
Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Ahhhh. I'm not the only one.

Is it easy to get off/replace in the old car and installed in the new one? Seems glued to the boot.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:10 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer did it for me when i picked up the 997 - took them 5 minutes..kept my colored crests too
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Gary - Some shift ***** have a set screw on them, but most OEM ***** do not. The set screw will be up high on the shaft after you have lifted the leather boot up. If you don't see a set screw, then the shift **** just pulls off.

Be careful when you pull the shifter **** off of the shifter. It will take a lot of force, and it will come loose suddenly. You could really hurt yourself (literally) if this happens. To avoid this big "hurt" I did this:

o - Pull the leather boot up and over the shift ****.

o - Take two screwdrivers and place one in front of the shifter shaft and one behind it so they are parallel with the dash. The screwdrivers face in opposite directions so you can hold the handle of one screwdriver and the shaft of the other screwdriver in each hand.

o - Sitting in the driver's seat, place your left forearm on your right knee. With your palm facing up, grab the left side of the two screwdrivers (already on each side of the shifter shaft) with your left hand.

o - Then grab the the right side of the screwdrivers with your right hand (also facing palm up). You can now use your left knee as a fulcrum and pry the **** off. It may go flying straight up, but you won't knock your teeth out.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:21 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Thanks TIm. I may just take it to a pro anyway. I'm concerned I'll mess up the boot, let alone my teeth....

Isn'tthe boot attached to the **** somehow, though (glue)?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gary mermel
Thanks TIm. I may just take it to a pro anyway. I'm concerned I'll mess up the boot, let alone my teeth....

Isn'tthe boot attached to the **** somehow, though (glue)?
No, it is not glued to the shifter shaft.

BTW - when I replaced the stock shifter with the B&M SSK, the hardest part of the whole project was getting the shift **** off the OEM shifter. Once I came up with the screw driver trick, it took about 15 seconds to get it off.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

The 996 shift **** has a set screw .The 997 has a collar which needs to be twisted ~ 90 deg. clockwise before pulling the **** off.
The **** is not glued on, but you do need the strength of a Gorilla to pull it off. Lol

If you go to the B&M web site, they have complete instructions on how to do it .

www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf

Have fun.

Quick Reply: shift knob