Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: RIP Craig Cope (CJC) / NEW Message from his family

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to contribute but don't like dealing w/ paypal. Any other options?

I think setting up funds for the kid is the best idea.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyEmily
I would like to contribute but don't like dealing w/ paypal. Any other options?
You could send a check to the address mentioned in post #2, or you could PM me and transfer the money bank-to-bank. Just let me know. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

For those of us who don't know you and would like to contribute, perhaps you could open a college fund bank account in the name of the child, that we could contribute directly to a bank?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

I don't wish to seem heartless and cold here. This family has a loss to deal with which was very sudden by the sound of it. But on the other side of the coin as Shark Attack stated we are dealing with a guy here who owned a late 997. He was not potless by any means. When his estate is distributed provision will be made for his son and his girlfriend as well if she can prove financial dependancy. It is one thing getting together to pay for a memorial. It is another to support a child whose family have no income and little prospect. It is another again to patronise this family. If Craig was a responsible chap he would have made a Will & Testament the day he found out about Carol becoming pregnant. But in any case provision will be made.
If a group of Craigs close friends want to put something together then that is their perogative. But to post this thread across Rennlist I feel is not appropriate. That is just my $0.02 worth
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkinMD
For those of us who don't know you and would like to contribute, perhaps you could open a college fund bank account in the name of the child, that we could contribute directly to a bank?
Mark, that's a great idea, too. Once we have completed the collection and establish the fund (a decision that will involve all contributors), we are going to share the account information with everyone so that others can make direct donations at a later stage.

Please note that I'm implementing control mechanisms so that people can be assured this is not a fraud. For once, Ben will serve as a comptroller. Also, as I'm typing this, I'm putting up a webpage, viewable for contributors only, where all of them can see their and all other contributions (anonymously) by date and time and keep track of them.

Living in Louisiana, I have seen what some people did with donations supposedly collected on behalf of Katrina victims, so I completely understand your concerns. I also didn't really try to take control of this whole thing; but after some people suggested doing this, I thought somebody just needs to get it off the ground.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tommo951
I don't wish to seem heartless and cold here. This family has a loss to deal with which was very sudden by the sound of it. But on the other side of the coin as Shark Attack stated we are dealing with a guy here who owned a late 997. He was not potless by any means. When his estate is distributed provision will be made for his son and his girlfriend as well if she can prove financial dependancy. It is one thing getting together to pay for a memorial. It is another to support a child whose family have no income and little prospect. It is another again to patronise this family. If Craig was a responsible chap he would have made a Will & Testament the day he found out about Carol becoming pregnant. But in any case provision will be made.
If a group of Craigs close friends want to put something together then that is their perogative. But to post this thread across Rennlist I feel is not appropriate. That is just my $0.02 worth
I see your point and I'm sure you are not the only one thinking this way.

However, I sincerely hope this thread is not going to turn into a huge discussion similar to those about break-in periods or Corvette cars.

Please feel free to contribute or not. It's completely voluntary. If you do not wish to contribute, please feel free to help some other cause. Again, I see your point; however, we are voluntarily doing what we think is the right thing to do from our point of view.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

What's the running total at?

I'll move some money into my PayPal tonight...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanme
I'll move some money into my PayPal tonight...
Ooooh, I sense a major bank transfer move coming up.

Wolfgang can give us updates when he next comes online.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cleanme
What's the running total at?
A total of $872 contributed by 14 people (high $150, low $22 - everything counts!).

I think we can probably do better.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

Thanks for setting this up. I think it is a nice gesture.

If we can get a large enough donation, my vote is for opening a 529 plan. Perhaps the plan could be owned by a trust with directions that the money can only be used for qualified educational expenses. I am willing to help with the trust document as I am an estate/tax planner.

If we have a more modest sum, a memorial plaque would be nice.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turkish_eyebrow
my vote is for opening a 529 plan. Perhaps the plan could be owned by a trust with directions that the money can only be used for qualified educational expenses. I am willing to help with the trust document as I am an estate/tax planner.
That's exactly the kind of expertise we'll eventually need. I don't think the amount will turn into a huge, huge trust. But I still hope that we will get at least $2,500 and if we invest that properly in a college fund, then 14 years from now it should be a decent sum. Once again, all contributors will be involved in that decision.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

$$ just sent via paypal.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 133 Posts

>> If we can get a large enough donation, my vote is for opening a 529 plan. Perhaps the plan could be owned by a trust with directions that the money can only be used for qualified educational expenses. I am willing to help with the trust document as I am an estate/tax planner. <<

I second this. This is an excellent idea and a great way for our contribtuions to be utilized...

Matt
Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
That's exactly the kind of expertise we'll eventually need. I don't think the amount will turn into a huge, huge trust. But I still hope that we will get at least $2,500 and if we invest that properly in a college fund, then 14 years from now it should be a decent sum. Once again, all contributors will be involved in that decision.
You guys let me know if I can be of help.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

to preface, i contributed as i simply wanted to.

my question: would/is this typically be done for any/all rennlist members?

regards

Quick Reply: Re: RIP Craig Cope (CJC) / NEW Message from his family