PASM on the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default PASM on the track

Ok, we haven't had a PASM discussion in a while.

Today at DE at TWS, I decided to try run with PASM in sport mode after it was suggested to me by a GT-3 owner. I've always hated PASM sport mode on the street. Way too harsh. But guess what? On the race track at speed, PASM sport mode becomes a different beast entirely. At least on TWS it does. I absolutely loved it. To be clear, I was NOT in sport chrono sport mode. ie, I did not engage the throttle mapping change, which I think would make the car undriveable on the race course by making it too hard to modulate the throttle.

Anyone else tried PASM sport mode on the race track?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike:

I have not been out, yet... but I'd be interested in the PSM settings that people use at the track, too...
Jus' wondering. I think that Herr Roehrl stated that he doesn't ever turn PSM off - maybe he's using Sport mode to get the extra slip?

As the manual states that Sport Mode allows more freedom (yaw and wheelspin) I wonder if it would be advantageous to achieve maximum cornering speeds?

Man, I need to get to Birmingham...

-don
Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Don,

I did not turn PSM (Porsche Stability Management) off, I left it on and switched PASM (Porsche Active Suspension) to sport mode. This changes the damping rate mapping in the PASM suspension, but leaves the stability management system as is. Maybe I have not pushed my car hard enough yet, but I've not had PSM engage to any noticeable amount on the track. For now, I feel like I can get an acceptable amount of yaw without disengaging PSM.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
elh0102
Instructor

I've done three track events so far with my 997S. My preference is for the Sport suspension setting, but normal throttle mapping. I also find the sport throttle setting too sensitive. As for PSM, I've tried it off and on, and generally leave it on. I don't push the car extremely hard, and if it engages, I've probably done something wrong. Since my last event, I have added GT3 Cup car adjustable front lower control arms. I expect the additional camber to give a bit more front grip, so I will definitely leave PSM on while I get used to the new suspension setting.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I turn on PASM (sport shocks, stiff setting) while at Sebring. Even though Sebring is a bumpy track PASM is the best setting. I have played around with the Sport setting which re-maps the throttle responce making it too much throttle when I squeeze on the gas while tracking out. Sometimes it's ok but most of the time I do not like it.

As for PSM ( I call it the Please Save Me button) I leave it on while at the track. You have to do something really wrong to activate it in a 997. This was proven to me while at the 2 days Porsche Sports Driving School at Barber Motorsports. While doing a AutoX last weekend I turned it off (because if I spin it is low speeds and no walls to hit) because I wanted to see if I could rotate the rear of the car through a certain section of cones better. Porsche on the 997 and 997S and GT3 have back off when PSM actually kicks in compared to other Porsche cars from years ago. I highly recomend leaving PSM on.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've experimented with PASM at length - well, over a 2 day period at Watkins Glen where we had 3.5 hours on track each day (30 minutes on, 30 off). I found the car much more stable in PASM Sport, especially through the Esses. I think it depends on the track because even Walter Rohl found The Ring ever so slightly quicker in normal mode. Per all the articles I've read about it, if the track is very smooth, sport can be a boon. If it's in poor shape, then normal can be quicker as the suspension becomes more compliant over the irregularities.

As to PSM on, off, or sport (if you have SC which I do not), it shouldn't ever kick in no matter what setting you have it on. Also, whether on or sport, it will automatically kick back on if you hit ABS (2 wheels for normal, 3 wheels for sport). Again, the concept of elevated limits on SC PSM Sport is irrelevant based on my 16 hours at LRP and WGI with this new car - if you drive properly and smoothly, it will never come into play.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Thanks, guys. Great feedback. I'm temporarily jealous of all of you, but I plan to fix it with a trip to Barber soon...

I feel that I need professional help before I simply go out and mistreat my car at the track. Also, I'm pretty much enamored of the concept of using someone else's car for my first track event.

Oh, and the potential of getting instruction from someone like Hurley Haywood ain't a bad idea, either. :-)

A buddy (who's probably one of the best amateur drivers I've ever met) sent me a copy of "Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley - ISBN 978-0-7603-0518-8. It's a great intro to what is required to go fast - one word: smooth.

Living vicariously,

-don
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If this is your first event ever, I highly suggest you not worry about anything (no, you won't mistreat your car) and do a PCA DE. Save the pro driver experience for when you are in Black run group and can benefit from that level of learning. Keep in mind that everyone in Green (beginner) is at the same point - everyone is new to the idea, everyone takes it easy, and everyone has the benefit of reading the DE manuals before hand, having classroom before track, and having a PCA instructor with you in every run session.

Seat time is critical - for the price of Skippy, you can probably experience enough instruction and seat time to advance to the next level. Just food for thought...

Going Faster is pretty much the bible of understanding why the line is important, how vehicle dynamics work, etc.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

dstrimbu, if $$$$ is no object then I highly recomend the 2 day Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber in Birmingham. I did the 2 day school and learned so much more than 1 day of DE. Now DE is not bad at all and that is not what I am saying it is just the PSDS at Barber taught so much with skid pad and autoX plus track events to put it all together...I gain a lot of skill, knowledge and confidence to excell at DE's. Also you will not hurt your car at a DE.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I use PASM on sport (firm) with sport chrono throttle mapping off. PSM is ON.

Both Le Circuit Mont Tremblant and Calabogie are smooth tracks.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have about 50 track days total under my belt in a 996C2, 996GT3 and 997S and typically run in the red group with PCA. On my 997S I have sport chrono with PASM. I use the sport mode on the track. I don't find the throttle response too touchy. In fact I really like it as it allows me to make quick throttle adjustments and it makes heal toeing much more precise. I also like the additional leeway sport mode gives. A few times I have gotten the back out a bit and am amazed that the electronics didn't kick in. Needless to say those were never my fastest laps, but it was nice to catch and correct the error myself.

Finally, I believe that the esteemed Rohrl was faster around the ring with the normal setting on the 997 GT3. For another data point, if I remember correctly, VanOverbeek also liked normal mode in the 997GT3 at Infineon. In contrast, I believe that in the 997S the stiffer setting is a bit better on most tracks. I certainly like it better.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

How do you guys like PASM normal on normal roads with uneven pavement and especially large expansion joints? Does it smooth the jarring that a normal taut suspension produces?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
How do you guys like PASM normal on normal roads with uneven pavement and especially large expansion joints? Does it smooth the jarring that a normal taut suspension produces?
That's one of the things I like most about PASM. I've owned a non-S without PASM, and now an S with PASM. PASM in normal mode gives in my opinion a more comfortable ride when tooling around town.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have H&R springs with PASM sport engaged 100% of the time on the track, and 50% of the time on the street. I find the car more communicative with the firmer settings; it's easier to tell what's going on under the wheels, especially on a bumpy track like Sebring where I use particular bumps as markers.

On the street, I find that the firmer settings help eliminate the bobbing action that sometimes happens in PASM normal mode. Almost like the car is undershocked in normal, and right-on (maybe a little stiff) in sport.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
I run with firm shocks and leave the PSM button alone. I learned
that turning PSM off will cause you to spin. Have fun and leave the PSM button alone
until you want to go that one step further.
Paul

Quick Reply: PASM on the track