Sponsored by:

MY '08 Changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nyca
no DSG until 2010? unbelievable, that's the one item stopping me from buying.
Ditto. It will take direct injection and DSG to make a trade-in worthwhile.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't return my not-yet-delivered '07 for that list of changes, but the Sport Seats make me drool.

Folding and 6-point harness capable (and airbags). I haven't found that combination in any other seat. Have I just missed it? Is this really a Recaro product that I haven't recognized, or from some other manufacturer?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM

So have we confirmed these are the only changes?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Spoke to my dealer and there service dept yesterday and they said they firmly believe that the next major upgrade to the Carrera will be Direct Injection for 2009 and then a clutchless high performance type of transmission for the 2010 model year.

Well if they said it 'firmly' ......... it's got to be true
Lots of different info out there.......assume you saw this 2 weeks ago.

http://www.cartoday.com/content/news...ge.asp?in=8552
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Spoke to my dealer and there service dept yesterday and they said they firmly believe that the next major upgrade to the Carrera will be Direct Injection for 2009 and then a clutchless high performance type of transmission for the 2010 model year.

These are 2 improvments that mean a lot to me so I will have to keep waiting till then.
Last I heard, DI is expected as an '08 facelift introduction for the Carrera (no info on Boxster or GT engines) but that doesn't mean much in terms of timing, only '09 would be a very long time to wait for the facelift and the idea of a facelift then an engine update in quick succession is even less appealing from a marketing standpoint.

I wish Porsche would get back to the 993 (unchanged from 95 thru 98) and stick to incremental mechanical advancement with each model year.

As for PDK (aka DSG,) it's now a 7 spd and ready for market in the Audi products and it has two clutches so the "clutchless" description might refer to the pedal. I hope that Porsche delivers something engaging (pun) than paddles or the idiotic plastic wobble toggles on the Cayenne -- at the very least a big heads-up display to show the actual gear and the planned next gear.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the other MY08 upgrade; the price increase!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Last I heard, DI is expected as an '08 facelift introduction for the Carrera (no info on Boxster or GT engines) but that doesn't mean much in terms of timing, only '09 would be a very long time to wait for the facelift and the idea of a facelift then an engine update in quick succession is even less appealing from a marketing standpoint.

I wish Porsche would get back to the 993 (unchanged from 95 thru 98) and stick to incremental mechanical advancement with each model year.

As for PDK (aka DSG,) it's now a 7 spd and ready for market in the Audi products and it has two clutches so the "clutchless" description might refer to the pedal. I hope that Porsche delivers something engaging (pun) than paddles or the idiotic plastic wobble toggles on the Cayenne -- at the very least a big heads-up display to show the actual gear and the planned next gear.
Actually I hope that the DSG/PDK transmission is totally clutchless or else I will not be able to ever drive a Carrera again due to that I do not have a left leg to push a clutch any longer. I do not care if it is 6 or 7 speeds I just need something that shift faster for my DE track days and AutoX. I guess there is always Ferrari for me.

My dealer was pretty firm about no Direct injection or new transmission for 08 because his Porsche factory guys were at the dealership for a few days and they talked about 08 models, plus if something new like this was coming out then the service guys would have to be trained to service these upgrades so that is why he was pretty firm on no new transmission or direct injection.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 AM

Actually I hope that the DSG/PDK transmission is totally clutchless or else I will not be able to ever drive a Carrera again due to that I do not have a left leg to push a clutch any longer. I do not care if it is 6 or 7 speeds I just need something that shift faster for my DE track days and AutoX. I guess there is always Ferrari for me.

My dealer was pretty firm about no Direct injection or new transmission for 08 because his Porsche factory guys were at the dealership for a few days and they talked about 08 models, plus if something new like this was coming out then the service guys would have to be trained to service these upgrades so that is why he was pretty firm on no new transmission or direct injection.
The trans will most likey be with Audi based tech, which is clutchless.

Sometimes the techs learn about this stuff at or just after release
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by GreggT
Well if they said it 'firmly' ......... it's got to be true
Lots of different info out there.......assume you saw this 2 weeks ago.

http://www.cartoday.com/content/news...ge.asp?in=8552
The problem I have been told is that this VW/Audi dual clutch transmission can not handle the torque of the Porsche engine. Hummm...who really knows anyway. All I know is if Porsche ends up only offering a 6 speed and a dual clutch (ie push a clutch in to get the car moving then paddle shift) they will lose me as a customer since I can not physically push a clutch with my prosthetic leg. Porsche could probably careless anyway about helping an amputee out...so oh well.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones

• Expected to be available no earlier than late 2007, will not be
offered for 911 GT3/911 GT3 RS models.
Any guess as to why not offered on GT3?

Although undoubtedly heavier than 996 GT3 seats, the air bag and folding back are plusses.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 AM

The problem I have been told is that this VW/Audi dual clutch transmission can not handle the torque of the Porsche engine. Hummm...who really knows anyway. All I know is if Porsche ends up only offering a 6 speed and a dual clutch (ie push a clutch in to get the car moving then paddle shift) they will lose me as a customer since I can not physically push a clutch with my prosthetic leg. Porsche could probably careless anyway about helping an amputee out...so oh well.
I almost lost my left leg when I was 12...very scary stuff especially at that age. Porsche may use the basic technology of the Audi box and re-design it for their needs.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 500
I almost lost my left leg when I was 12...very scary stuff especially at that age. Porsche may use the basic technology of the Audi box and re-design it for their needs.
Yeah it is scary stuff. I lost my entire left leg 4 years ago when I got hit while riding my motorcycle (Ducati 998R at 35mph in traffic)...basically an oncoming t-boned type of hit. Broke both my arms, forearm compund fractures, upper arm and left hand and pevlis. My femur was smash and it ripped up my femrual artery beyond repair. They did not think I was going to make it...I flat lined twice but I had fight in me and the best doctors anyone could have had. One of them happes to be on this website on the racers forum! Awesome driver, Porsche nut and the #1 vascular surgeon in the world...PERIOD! Pretty cool stuff.
I have heard that Porsche is in the redesign stage of the Audi gear box so I really can not wait. As soon as DSG/PDK or what ever they will cal it comes out I will get a new car. Hopefully sooner than later with all this.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ezinternet
Folding and 6-point harness capable (and airbags). I haven't found that combination in any other seat. Have I just missed it? Is this really a Recaro product that I haven't recognized, or from some other manufacturer?
I'm also very intrigued by this option. I'm presently shopping for some GT3 seats for my Boxster. It's mostly a street car and it would be great if I didn't have to loose my airbag and heated seats...
Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ezinternet
Yep.......an interesting option.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
d7lee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that Porsche is in the redesign stage of the Audi gear box so I really can not wait. As soon as DSG/PDK or what ever they will cal it comes out I will get a new car. Hopefully sooner than later with all this.

The car manufacturers seem to be sourcing clutchless transmission designs for a lot of their cars. Therefore, you will want to follow the transmission designers at BorgWarner, Ricardo, Cima, and potentially Getrag in order to know where the technology/costs are. There are a couple things going on. Finding a way to drop the weight on the DSG (they weigh nearly twice SMG) is a small part. As we know, the Bugatti Veyron has its own dual clutch system from Ricardo, but the price is near $10grand... but it is able to handle a lot of torque and power. Finding a way to handle the torque and power of the 911 without incurring extreme costs is part of the challenge. Finding a way for the system to be reliable without requiring more maintenance than the market is willing to accept is another challenge.

Quick Reply: MY '08 Changes