New 997S

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Default New 997S

Hi guys,

I have monitoring this forum for a couple years, with an occasional post. On Saturday, I bought a new to me, but slightly used, 2007 997S. The car is Meteor Gray with gray interior, turbo wheels, Bose, Sport Chrono, Nav, electric seats, heated seats, and a few other goodies. I will post some pictures as soon as I get the time.

I have owned two 911s previously, but not since 1990. My last three cars were e46 M3s, so you can see that I like them. I almost waited for the new M3, but wanted a change. So far, I love the car.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

how much off msrp?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the 2S.

BTW don't know what part of NC you're in but a couple of us are at up Deal's Gap tomorrow and Weds... fancy a drive?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by robbonds
how much off msrp?
I will send a PM to you. I have a long history with this dealer, and don't want to put price out there for the world to see. Not sure it matters, but I would rather send the PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Haku
Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the 2S.

BTW don't know what part of NC you're in but a couple of us are at up Deal's Gap tomorrow and Weds... fancy a drive?
I am in Raleigh. Thanks for the invitation, but can't make it.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!

Now show off the baby pictures...
Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Pics...pics..pics!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Pics...pics..pics!
+1!

Oh, wait... I've already seen the beauty! Now you gotta cut and paste those photos for the forum!

I'm dying to hear your driving impressions. When I went from the M3 to the C2S I had some learning to do but, since you're familiar with the 911's unique feel, you'll be right in the groove.

Oh, I forgot to mention that tire PSI wise I went straight off the door sticker.

Enjoy driving her!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Longhorn997S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an E46M3 to 997S guy too. The brakes are amazing. Such a travesty that BMW is putting 1 piston calipers on the new M3. uugh, such a glaring hole in what will be an otherwise great BMW.

No thanks. I'll be keeping my 997S
Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Longhorn997S
I'm an E46M3 to 997S guy too. The brakes are amazing. Such a travesty that BMW is putting 1 piston calipers on the new M3. uugh, such a glaring hole in what will be an otherwise great BMW.

No thanks. I'll be keeping my 997S

As a former E46 M3 owner myself (what's up Longhorn, Dave04M3 here) and I agree with you myself regarding the brakes for the M3, the 997 also has a huge glaring hole and that's the lack of a LSD in non GT3 and Turbo models. It's going to cost almost 4k to put one in and there is no choice in ring and pinion as far as ratios are concerned, you are stuck with the 3.44:1.

I just don't find the looks of the E92 appealing...it's going to be a normally aspirated guys wet dream though.

Dave
Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM
elh0102
Instructor

I'm in Raleigh too, and also owned a couple of E46 M3's. Great cars, but you will be delighted with the 997S. Mine is totally stock. I rarely time myself on track, but I noticed during a couple of recent laps at VIR, that my time was essentially the same as with the M3, and that was after $3K in suspension work. And neither lap I timed in the Porsche was among my best.

As for the lacking LSD, unless you plan on driving in the wet on track, or adding substantially more hp, you will not find it an issue. It bothers me too, but after two track events, I can honestly say the issue is mental. I can count on one hand, maybe two fingers, the times I have had any traction loss in corner exits. The car has prodigious rear traction compared to the M3. If you were dealing with a fully-prepped track car, with more power and less weight, limited slip would become essential. But its omission has not been a factor for me.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
+1!

Oh, wait... I've already seen the beauty! Now you gotta cut and paste those photos for the forum!

I'm dying to hear your driving impressions. When I went from the M3 to the C2S I had some learning to do but, since you're familiar with the 911's unique feel, you'll be right in the groove.

Oh, I forgot to mention that tire PSI wise I went straight off the door sticker.

Enjoy driving her!
Thanks John. As you probably remember, Kathy is the photographer, so gotta wait until maybe this weekend to get some pics to post. So far, my impressions are quite favorable compared to the M3. The shifter, and I have just the standard shifter, is far superior to the M3. The engine has much more low end torque, which is nice for daily driving. The sound of the engine is great also. I am still getting familiar with the car, so I have not gotten into her yet.

Regarding the tire air pressure, isn't the recommended pressure on the door sticker for a fully loaded car? The sticker on mine reads 44 rear and 37 front (I think). But the owner's manual seems to indicate 39 rear and 33 front for partial load.

Here are two pics of my car from the dealer's lot.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 05-22-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

E46 M3 convert too... Picked up the 997S in January and stored it until mid March, broke it in, and headed to Lime Rock. Bone stock, this 997S was just as quick around LRP than my slightly modified M3 (fluid, lines, pads, wheels and R-comps), with 4 years of seat time in it (meaning, I knew that car inside and out, where the 997S is a brand new experience). Seat time will push this 997S way beyond the M3 and then when I get some R-comps, etc. on this car, I expect to significantly further the eclipse of the M3. Plenty of learning curve with the rear engine / bias... Much Fun!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elh0102
I'm in Raleigh too, and also owned a couple of E46 M3's. Great cars, but you will be delighted with the 997S. Mine is totally stock. I rarely time myself on track, but I noticed during a couple of recent laps at VIR, that my time was essentially the same as with the M3, and that was after $3K in suspension work. And neither lap I timed in the Porsche was among my best.

As for the lacking LSD, unless you plan on driving in the wet on track, or adding substantially more hp, you will not find it an issue. It bothers me too, but after two track events, I can honestly say the issue is mental. I can count on one hand, maybe two fingers, the times I have had any traction loss in corner exits. The car has prodigious rear traction compared to the M3. If you were dealing with a fully-prepped track car, with more power and less weight, limited slip would become essential. But its omission has not been a factor for me.
The LSD will help even on a dry track and it will help a ton with the axle hop this car has. Now I know this is the drag racer in me, but this car if you launch hard feels like the rear end is going to shatter itself from the severity. A LSD would help in this matter. Forget the fact that a almost $90k sports car doesn't have a LSD is a travesty.

Don't get me wrong I love my 997S so much it's going to be a keeper for a long time, that's why I will probably bone up and get a LSD. It's offered in ROTW as it should be here.

Dave
Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The LSD will help even on a dry track and it will help a ton with the axle hop this car has. Now I know this is the drag racer in me, but this car if you launch hard feels like the rear end is going to shatter itself from the severity. A LSD would help in this matter. Forget the fact that a almost $90k sports car doesn't have a LSD is a travesty.

Don't get me wrong I love my 997S so much it's going to be a keeper for a long time, that's why I will probably bone up and get a LSD. It's offered in ROTW as it should be here.

Dave
If you're a drag racer, you need it; I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: New 997S