Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Extended Warranties

I've got just over a 1 year left on my Porsche (2005 997S) factory warranty. I'm starting to look into extended warranty providers since I can't get a Porsche CPO. Vehicle needs to be sold or leased by Porsche to qualify. My local Porsche dealer sells a extended insurance from Fidelity Warranty Services. Their 'Platinum' package covers most items less wear items (ie. brakes, tires, clutch, batteries, etc). The Platinum package covers the car for an additional 3 years up to 70K miles. It has a $100 deductible. It cost approximately $3K and it is transferable.

I did a Google search on Fidelty and saw some customer dissatisfaction regarding claim process/coverage. My dealer claims they're the best and most Porsche dealers sell their services.

So . . . my question is do any of you guys have 'aftermarket' warranty packages and if so can you comment on them and/or provide any insight on this subject.

Thanks . . . . .
Old 06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

This particular topic has been discussed ad nauseum. If you search for "aftermarket warranty" you will find many threads regarding a variety of different companies.

Why will your local dealership not re-buy the car from you so as to CPO it?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:47 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your research on Fidelity reveals what these guys are all about. You'd be lucky to ever get them to pay up based on what I've read about these guys over the last few years. I have yet to hear anyone that has had a claim paid. Verify what the dealer is telling you. Buyer beware!

You're probably best to be out of the car prior to the warranty running out. It's a harsh decision but Gawd help you once out of warranty and some gizmo goes wrong. Doesn't it seem strange that P doesn't even offer their own extended warranty? Good luck with it.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well, the CPO is their "extended warranty".
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

I had my dealer CPO the car when I got it from them last year (it was a 1yr trade back for an C4S by the owner) so I am lucky in that extent. But with my 996 I did go the Extended Warranty route and big mistake. 1st problem they wouldn't cover anything (oil line and fuel line needed replacing and coolant tank failure...they said it doesn't cover plastic storage part such at that or lines non-metal?) So I ate the costs...lucky was at an independant shop who did great work but at less than dealer prices.

Company was First Source Auto Warranty. This pissed me off enough that immediately afterwards I cancelled my policy and requested prorated refund of the policy cost which they gave me ($2400 back outta the $3200 or so it originally cost). A few months later I clicked on their link outta curiosity and it came back non-valid. Seemed company went belly up and took most of the buyers premiums with them Chapter 11! I am glad I got my $$$ back when I did it seems...as I was one of the lucky ones and folks are still waiting for their $$$. Advice I've gotten since is then is 1) it's better to get a dealer to buy back your vehicle or trade for a new/CPO vehicle IF you're that worried you're gonna break the car 2)Find yourself a good independant shop that does good work at reasonable prices on p-cars OR 3) Take your $3-4k and put it in a money market account or CD and don't touch it and that way you have an emergency fund if your car goes boom! I'd stay away from it but Good luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question? If you get the dealer to buyback your car, CPO it then repurchase it for the same amount plus whatever it costs for the CPO, don’t you have to pay sales tax again once you re buy your own car? Wouldn’t that be to expensive way to get 2 more years warranty? Is there any way to go around paying sales tax (here in LA is 8.25%) again?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
Quick question? If you get the dealer to buyback your car, CPO it then repurchase it for the same amount plus whatever it costs for the CPO, don’t you have to pay sales tax again once you re buy your own car? Wouldn’t that be to expensive way to get 2 more years warranty? Is there any way to go around paying sales tax (here in LA is 8.25%) again?
The tax thirsty State of California doesn't miss a beat when it comes to revenue. There are some states that don't have a sales tax or a use tax (California's way of retaxing property that changes ownership). Take a high dollar vehicle like a Porsche that might change hands every 24 months. It gets 'retaxed' on each sale to the tune of 8 to 8.5% depending on the county. It's a cash cow for the idiots in Sacramento and your local county governments.

The only way I know to avoid the use tax hit to keep the car in your immediate family or do a dealer-to-dealer transaction.

Factoid: Who makes the most money on a gallon of gasoline? It's not the oil producing country, not the refinery and not the distributor(s). You guessed it . . . the US government. Not much of an incentive for those yahoos in Washington to find ways to cut fuel cost is it!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties