Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody with AWE mufflers please chide

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 10:02 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Default Anybody with AWE mufflers please chide

in...I just bought a set used from Raffi (heck of a nice guy, and great to deal with) who is also on the 6speed website. Installed the muffers on a stock 997SC2, well how can I put it...I'm actually a little disappointed. It isn't raw enough....now I still have the stock cats and exhaust manifolds. Headers don't do much for sound but maybe add a more tuned sound and I know the high flow cats will help in this matter, but my question is anyone out there do the AWE muffers and then added the cats and headers was the sound that much more dramatic than with just the mufflers.

At low rpm they have a nice rumble, just not raw enough.... I'm hoping the cats and headers will wake her up a little more.

Dave
Old 05-31-2007 | 11:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Dave I recently installed a set of Fabspeed Maxflows and I too felt they weren't loud/raw enough. I then installed a 1-1/2 inch bipass tube between the intake and outflow pipes just in front of the muffler. They're still reasonably quiet around town, but when you goose it they're much ruffer and throatier. You're certainly welcome to hear mine....
Old 06-01-2007 | 12:56 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Dave I recently installed a set of Fabspeed Maxflows and I too felt they weren't loud/raw enough. I then installed a 1-1/2 inch bipass tube between the intake and outflow pipes just in front of the muffler. They're still reasonably quiet around town, but when you goose it they're much ruffer and throatier. You're certainly welcome to hear mine....
I am actually thinking of just going with the Fabspeed muff bypass pipes....this with a set of 200 cpi metallic cats would be just what the doctor ordered.

Dave
Old 06-01-2007 | 12:57 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Just installed a set myself and the sound is okay for me...kinda like the 3 bears...not too soft, no too loud. Just about right! But sound is subjective as far as these things go it seems. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2007 | 01:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

A few guys the do DE's in our club have by pass pipes (ie no mufflers) on 997's and they are loud...really loud. They do sound awesome though. Fabspeed is a little more raw sounding with a little more of a cup car howl sound at the higher rpms than the AWE's I've heard.

jrgordonsr, you lost me on the 1.5" pipes at the input side of the mufflers. Did you by pass the cats? You lost me here.
Old 06-01-2007 | 02:03 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
A few guys the do DE's in our club have by pass pipes (ie no mufflers) on 997's and they are loud...really loud. They do sound awesome though. Fabspeed is a little more raw sounding with a little more of a cup car howl sound at the higher rpms than the AWE's I've heard.

jrgordonsr, you lost me on the 1.5" pipes at the input side of the mufflers. Did you by pass the cats? You lost me here.
I had a feeling that was the case about the Fabspeed...but I will wait until I get the race cats then I will see how they sound. If not to my liking I will just get the Borlas when they are released and sell my AWE. I got them for a fair price from Raffi so I'm really not complaining. I just love my cars to sound tuned and raw...

Dave
Old 06-01-2007 | 02:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I had a feeling that was the case about the Fabspeed...but I will wait until I get the race cats then I will see how they sound. If not to my liking I will just get the Borlas when they are released and sell my AWE. I got them for a fair price from Raffi so I'm really not complaining. I just love my cars to sound tuned and raw...

Dave
The sport cats will make a difference in sound for sure. There has been talk about the Milltech (sp?) mufflers and I wonder how they sound and what the company claims for and power increase.
Old 06-01-2007 | 07:55 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

The actual mufflers are somewhat rectangular in shape (I'll post a pic later this morning of one). The intake and outake pipes (both 2-inch), enter and exit the muffler on the same end, about 4 inches apart. I simply had a muffler shop cut in a 1-1/2 inch SS pipe between the two a few inches in front of the muffler, after the cats. The end result is a great sound at WOT, though totally acceptable around town....
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The actual mufflers are somewhat rectangular in shape (I'll post a pic later this morning of one). The intake and outake pipes (both 2-inch), enter and exit the muffler on the same end, about 4 inches apart. I simply had a muffler shop cut in a 1-1/2 inch SS pipe between the two a few inches in front of the muffler, after the cats. The end result is a great sound at WOT, though totally acceptable around town....
You did this to the stock mufflers? I think I get it now..thanks.
Old 06-01-2007 | 12:56 PM
raffi
Pro

hey dave,
i was afraid you might not think they are loud/raw enough. that is the same thing i thought until I went back to stock, then thought they were perfect (how it should sound from porsche, but not aftermarket loud or even as noticeable as pse).
i really think you should go with the bypass, but maybe wait until you have tried the other mods because alot of the people with an entire system are saying it sounds better than just mufflers alone.
i still have people asking me if the mufflers are for sale, so you shouldnt have a problem selling them if you choose to go another route.
i can send you the names if you decide to sell them...
Old 06-01-2007 | 01:00 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raffi
hey dave,
i was afraid you might not think they are loud/raw enough. that is the same thing i thought until I went back to stock, then thought they were perfect (how it should sound from porsche, but not aftermarket loud or even as noticeable as pse).
i really think you should go with the bypass, but maybe wait until you have tried the other mods because alot of the people with an entire system are saying it sounds better than just mufflers alone.
i still have people asking me if the mufflers are for sale, so you shouldnt have a problem selling them if you choose to go another route.
i can send you the names if you decide to sell them...
Thanks Raffi...I am going to wait for the race cats before I ditch them. They installed very easily..(BTW you don't have to remove those bolts that are a pain to install in the back. I just undid the clamps and the 3 bolts on the side and they slid out with that bracket still on...) At low rpm they have a nice rumble but not dramatic enough for me at higher rpm's.

Thanks again and in no way do I mean to impune you at all...I got them for a fair price and it was great meeting you. Actually I want to talk to you about your spacers if you still have them.

Dave
Old 06-01-2007 | 04:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Not sure I shared this story with you yet... At one of my DEs at Lime Rock, a bunch of people "found" me during the day to ask about the exhaust. They were saying "Man, that thing sound sweet - you were the loudest car out there, but not in a bad way..." The spot they heard this was Main Straight - where the car is at 100% throttle in the 5-7k range.

I'm not sure if it's the combination of the headers and cats, but when you look at the dyno charts, there's definitely some "opening up" happening from the added hardware.

Take your time - live with it for a while...

Ron
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

You did this to the stock mufflers? I think I get it now..thanks.
I did it to Fabspeeds though I have a friend who did it to stock mufflers and it sounds just as good as mine. He also has AWE headers and 100 cell cats. He thought their muffler was just too loud....
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:42 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonCT
Dave,

Not sure I shared this story with you yet... At one of my DEs at Lime Rock, a bunch of people "found" me during the day to ask about the exhaust. They were saying "Man, that thing sound sweet - you were the loudest car out there, but not in a bad way..." The spot they heard this was Main Straight - where the car is at 100% throttle in the 5-7k range.

I'm not sure if it's the combination of the headers and cats, but when you look at the dyno charts, there's definitely some "opening up" happening from the added hardware.

Take your time - live with it for a while...

Ron
I will Ron, I am considering a custom cat pipe (found a great mandrel bender in Reseda)but they only want to use the new Magnaflow 300cpi metallic cat vs. the newer 200cpi cat that AWE and Fabspeed are now using. I think both of these tuners are using the HJS cat now. I can save quite a bit building a custom pipe, I am trying to do this without a spending a pile of money.

I got the X51 headers and they will be installed at the same time as the cats. I hate to say it I just missed the way my M3 sounded...with the headers, 100cpi cats and no res x pipe the thing just howled with the Borla.

I do believe and expect a slight hp increase, probably in the 15-20rwhp range. Unfortunately no baseline will be done but I do expect to be in the 315-320rwhp range. We wil see..

If anyone is interested here in S. Calif. these guys do custom mandrel exhausts for a great price..Fast Intentions

Dave
Old 06-01-2007 | 06:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Pics of my installed Fabspeed's with the 1-1/2 inch bipass tube. Second pic of stock muffler with ruler showing location of bi-pass tube....

Quick Reply: Anybody with AWE mufflers please chide