Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with Cabs

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007 | 03:25 PM
jsmy1
Track Day

Default no problems,

I have 06 c4s cab and wouldn't have it any other way, the only downside is also an upside...it is really too loud to use your cell phone with the top down, but easy solution, don't use your phone....have 8k miles and top still functions and looks good as new...
Old 05-30-2007 | 03:57 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Well I only have a 996 C4 CAB but I love it and have had no issues with the top wear or operation. I would gladly buy a new 997 CAB over a non CAB auto.
Old 05-30-2007 | 06:18 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I have a 2006 C4S Cab which is jusy over a year old and has 12,000 mile on it in all weather conditions. Regarding care for the top, I have used the Cabriolet Top treatment by Porsche once, when the water was not beading as wellas it did when new. Per the dealer, this should be done about once a year on a car that gets exposed to the elements regularly. As to enjoying a cabriolet, I don't think I can add any more to what has been stated above.

Jerry
Old 05-30-2007 | 08:24 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I've owned 5 Porsche Cabs and have never had any problems with them nor have I ever regretted choosing a Cab. Your're apparently behind the orange curtain where Porsche intended Cabs to reside. All it will take is one warm summer night on PCH from CDM to Laguna. Here's my first Cab (well Roadster actually) on PCH in CDM back in 69'.....

Old 05-30-2007 | 08:31 PM

Only trouble I had with the 2 cabs I've owned was some minor rattles and the top on the 993 needed adjustment twice when new.
Old 05-30-2007 | 08:37 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Here's my first Cab (well Roadster actually) on PCH in CDM back in 69'.....

JR, is that cop writing you a ticket in the photo? Oh...and who's the cute girl in the passenger seat?
Old 05-30-2007 | 08:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 98carrera4S
JR, is that cop writing you a ticket in the photo? Oh...and who's the cute girl in the passenger seat?
Yea well I might have been going a little too fast....

As for the cute girl.... that was then, this is now. She'd be 57....
Old 05-30-2007 | 09:17 PM
westlaker
Instructor

My blk/blk cab is perfect. I've had it about 6 months.
Old 05-30-2007 | 10:16 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Just about every car I've ever owned has been a convertible. I started in high school with a Bugeye Sprite, which ruined me. After that I spent a few bleak years driving cars with normal roofs, moved up to t-tops and then finally I recognized the error in my ways. It's been nothing but ragtops for me ever since -- a Miata and an M Roadster being the highlights. My latest car, my first Porsche, is a C2S Cab and it is without a doubt the least compromised, most livable convertible I've ever owned. Absolutely fantastic car.

Cabin noise is quite livable, you don't sit too deep in the car (some convertibles like the Z4 or MR2 Spyder feel sort of like driving a bathtub), the chassis is stiff and solid, and visibility with the top up is not bad at all.

If you're even remotely considering a convertible I'd enthusiastically encourage you to give one a shot.
Old 05-30-2007 | 10:28 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Well, I must say, you folks sure haven't done anything to dampen my interest in purchasing a 997S Cab. Your feedback and comments are really appreciated. It is amazing how happy you all seem to be with your Cab purchases. Now I'm going to get really serious about a purchase. I think it is time for a different kind of fun from my C55.
Old 05-30-2007 | 10:45 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Not only is it fun during the day, but one of the best times my wife and I had was when we were driving at night with the full moon shining in the car. It was absolutely fantastic. The only downside is that it takes a lot to get car track approved because of soft top. Other than that no problems.

Jay
Old 05-30-2007 | 10:52 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

love mine, unfortunately selling it. get smart top
Old 05-30-2007 | 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Well, I must say, you folks sure haven't done anything to dampen my interest in purchasing a 997S Cab. Your feedback and comments are really appreciated. It is amazing how happy you all seem to be with your Cab purchases. Now I'm going to get really serious about a purchase. I think it is time for a different kind of fun from my C55.
You may miss the torque of your 55...make sure you take a few test drives just to be sure.
Old 05-31-2007 | 01:54 AM
fluid15

Default Cab Maintenance

Originally Posted by todd.
If anyone does know of maintenance on the top I would like to know too.
Guys, i loved my 911 cabs and the best product i found for the top was called RAGGTOPP. It's in an aerosol car and you just spray it on the top to help seal the fabric (and supposedly protect from UV rays). When washing my car i would just give it a blast of water to blow off dust and the water beads very nicely.

I had read about other protectants on Rennlist and even saw a thread where one guy taped off his whole car before applying some protectant - too much prep!!! They advertise Raggtopp as "wipe off" and that's not exactly accurate but it's not too bad - just drape a towel over the side windows when applying and wash the car within a day, the overspray comes right off the paint/windshield. No affiliation, just happy with the product and ease of application. When i sold my 993 i gave my extra two cans to my dad for his Boxster S.

Any Google search for Raggtopp will provide several sources for purchase. Hope this helps all of you!

Last edited by fluid15; 05-31-2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-31-2007 | 02:09 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by 500
You may miss the torque of your 55...make sure you take a few test drives just to be sure.
Yeah, I know. That is the only thing that is making me a little cautious. But I've driven 55's for almost 6 years now, and thought it might be time for a different kind of driving experience. I know I'll miss the torque, but hope to gain in other areas.

Quick Reply: Experiences with Cabs