Sponsored by:

laser from LEO

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 PM
princetonporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laser from LEO

Do the state police or any localities use laser in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York?

If so, have people been targeted from the front only or rear as well. I don't want to drill holes in the rear bumper for installing a jammer most, if not all of the hits come from the front. I can use the extra head in the front for more protection.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ive been hit from the front by NY localities by LIDAR, i would assume highway units also have access to them.

ok, yeah...just checked, NYs men in grey have them....they become a "marksman" when using the laser, hah.
http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Traf...fety/Speeding/
Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
princetonporsche
Instructor

My reasoning is this. If they don't laser you from the rear initially (my understanding from reading the threads is the laser can't be shot from a moving patrol car from the rear), once you get the warning from the front, you slow down and shut off the jammers anyway. The rears would be also turned off in my system, and I would be going at the PSL.

If you miss seeing the stationary LEO and he shoots you from the rear, you would be vulnerable then.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

laser cant be shot from a moving vehicle. also, the officer actually holds the unit in his and and points it at you...its not like the K or Ka band systems installed in the cruiser. its a handheld unit like the handheld radar, but they have to put their face up to it and aim it at you and pull the trigger and keep it on you till get get a reading.

I used one one night for about 30 mins, its awesome....till i get a ticket from one.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

In MA, on the Cape and going to it from BOS, there are laser units in operation. I was "lit up" outside of Binghampton, NY going to WGI. These all showed up on my V1!!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
princetonporsche
Instructor

rdstemler,

were you hit from the front or behind?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 522 Posts

yes, NY - including NYPD - uses laser from the rear.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:04 AM
P-Car944
Banned

rear laser is becoming more common every where.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

From the front.

I remember when I first got my Fuzzbuster back when I was in Pilot Training (77-02). Very few radar detectors were produced and most people ( law enforcement included) didn't know what they were.

I was in Enid, OK and had the detector on my dashboard. A trooper pulled up next to me at a stop light and noticed the box. I guess he figured out what it was since he saw the alert light was on. He turned his unit off. My light went out. He turned his back on. My light came back on. He then just turned and stared at me. I turned off at the next light.

After that a couple of other guys in my class who had purchased FuzzBusters, and I would drive around until we found a speed trap. We'd do repeated runs (under the limit) to calibrate the senstivity. Those days there was not a lot of expertise in manufacture and calibration of the same.

I've had units now for over 30 years. It is still a technology leap frog game. I'll continue to play!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Every infrequent laser triggering, still scares the hell out of me with my passport, I reach for my cell phone!! Last ticket, no Radar, no laser, was clocked 1/4 mile, never saw him until lights on!
Not in P-car. Still waiting for Laser Interceptor!
Just got rid of my FuzzBuster, Circa 1960's. Unused for many years, but, many memories!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I saw an NJ State Trooper using Laser on Rt 80 near denville/dover yesterday. He was up on an embankment to the right side of the road and had the gun out and pointed down towards the direction i was traveling in. But im not sure who he was trageting because i thought he would have to be in a staight line so that he could aim at the license plate. BUT the laser indicator went of all of the sudden on the Valentine. I was in the extreme left lane so i dont think he could have targeted me. It still scared the hell out of me.
I happend to be doing 72 at the time but i didnt even look at the speedo until after the alarm i could have been doing 90!!

SO to answer your question YES there is Laser in NJ for sure. But mostly i have seen Ka and K light up on true scares.
Hope that helps. Be safe.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

i hate driving near airports...im usually not speedin around them, but when the laser alert goes off im like, oh no im done for!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:29 PM
usmarine2003
Advanced

Default Question about Beltronics STi.

Ok, so I live in Virginia. Radar detectors are not legal here. Someone told me about this unit from Beltronics. It's an STi.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...iew&key=DNA002

They said that it works against all types or LE systems and it can't be detected.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of unit?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I understand that RADAR detectors are illegal in Virginia. What about a LASER detector? A whole 'nother spectrum...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:09 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone else here noticed that there is far less patrol of I80/I380/I81 in Pennsylvania than in NY and NJ? Whenever I go to Watkins Glen (and when I used to travel between Ithaca and NY on a monthly basis) I'd always see LEOs in NY and NJ, but I don't think I've encountered a single speed trap in the PA sections.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of those traffic speed signs (i.e., the radar units mounted on trailers that display your speed). I've noticed that the smaller profile of our cars seem to let us "slip past" these trailers from time to time. I'll be traveling at, well, a reasonable speed above the 65 mph posted limit, and the sign will read the speeds of just about every other car until I get super-duper-duper close to the sign. Of course, my V1 will have been warning me for some time.

Quick Reply: laser from LEO