Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stoked.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There might be build quality differences as well because Caymans and Boxters are no longer built in Germany. I think they are built somewhere in eastern europe. If you're going to track your car a lot and dont care about 911 iconic status, I would go with cayman. You can opt to delete sun roof, you can make more chassi adjustments without additional equipment unlike with 997S. If you like autox, midengines rock in it.

Caymans and Boxsters are made by Valmet in Finland under contract to Porsche. Valmet used to make Saabs, Opels, and Talbots. At a Porsche factory tour, I heard that they have better QC at Valmet than at Porsche.

Jakeman
Old 05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Mid engine cars are superb. I would never argue that a Cayman S can not out handle a Carrera especially on a tight track or auto cross.

However, when I test drove it all I could think was---would I be settling ( had a 944 and never loved it) for less than what I really want. If I was going to have another Porsche logo adorning one of my vehicles, it had to ba a 911 variant this time. It was all about the whole package. I just did not get stoked by the Cayman.

One more deal closer. Not that she would CARE but wifey said..if you are buying a Porsche, buy a 911..any other one will just be here for a pit stop. The day I picked up the car I was taking some pics in the driveway as she approached from walking the dogs ( 3 pugs ) . She just looked and said ..
WOW, THAT IS GORGEOUS
Old 05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by malammik
There might be build quality differences as well because Caymans and Boxters are no longer built in Germany. I think they are built somewhere in eastern europe. If you're going to track your car a lot and dont care about 911 iconic status, I would go with cayman. You can opt to delete sun roof, you can make more chassi adjustments without additional equipment unlike with 997S. If you like autox, midengines rock in it.
Please don't post any "I think" statements. It forces the rest of us to correct your mistakes.

First of all, Caymans have always been built in Finland. The quality control is first rate there, as in Zuffenhausen, or Porsche wouldn't have chosen that plant for the work.

Second, you discuss deletion of the sunroof in the Cayman. They have never COME with a sunroof. It's strictly a coupe.

For autocrossing do not write off rear engined cars. Porsche PSM makes them track beautifully.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

I've never pulled up to a Cayman S and thought "I wish I bought that one instead". The Cayman is a great car, but not the Porsche I dreamed about since I was a kid. Easy choice.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

that says it all...+1

Last edited by Jerry Fisher; 05-19-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Please don't post any "I think" statements. It forces the rest of us to correct your mistakes.
You never posted "I think" statement?

First of all, Caymans have always been built in Finland. The quality control is first rate there, as in Zuffenhausen, or Porsche wouldn't have chosen that plant for the work.
I swear I read in an online article somewhere about factories being built in romania or poland. But you're absolutely correct Boxsters and Caymans always have been built in Finland. We've all been misinformed in the past.

Second, you discuss deletion of the sunroof in the Cayman. They have never COME with a sunroof. It's strictly a coupe.
I implied that it is possible to have Cayman without sunroof unlike 997 or GT3.

For autocrossing do not write off rear engined cars. Porsche PSM makes them track beautifully.
I never disregarded rear engined cars for autox. I drive one and I am very happy. I said midengined cars are great at autox which is also true.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:54 PM
charlieXS
Pro

ok... nice comments.

Now driving around town does the 325hp C2 "feel" stronger than the Cayman S? It's only 30 hp and the C2 is a tad heavier??

And is 2008 a facelift or a 99X?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Performance number wise, the 911C2 is slightly above the cayman S. Marketing dictates it. For me, it was very hard to tell when driving the two back to back, particularly since the mid-engined layout handles a little better in the turns. On a track, same driver, I woul expect the outcome to come down to the layout of the track. Personally, I really like the cayman S but my wife insisted that I have a quasi functional back seat so I could haul the kids occasionally. So, I bought a used 06 C2S for only a slight amount more than a new cayman S. I can feel the difference in the C2S but for street driving it just isn't that significant.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

i bought a cayman S in Jan of 2006 and kept it for a year. I drove it and drove it hard. It was a wonderful handling car, very balanced...but.....not enough power. I traded it in on a very low mileage 05 C2S in mint condition. much better options and plenty of raw power. if you are looking for a daily driver that is fast enough thrill you all the time and provide and organic driving experience that just doesn't get old...look for a low mileage C2S in good shape. I paid 69K for mine and it was well worth it. the feel, sound, and power of the 3.8Lengine in the 997 is much more exciting than the cayman S 3.4L. The cayman 3.4 whines...while the 3.8 growls.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Buy the new lightly optioned car.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Regarding a Cayman S vs a C2: as others have written, you have to decide if you are after the flagship Porsche or not. If that matters to you, then get the C2.

If you're just interested in getting the better sportscar of the 2, then you have to drive them both to be sure which you want and which is best suited to you. The Cayman S is MUCH more forgiving than the C2, and for all intents and purposes, just as fast. In fact, GT magazine can be quoted as writing that, with Rohl behind the wheel, a Cayman S with PCCB was faster around the 'ring than a C2. If you are not a very experienced driver, the Cayman S is the better buy because it is MUCH easier to drive well and to do so intuitively. The C2 is definitely more of a struggle to drive well on a track. If you drive both, you'll see what I mean when you notice how much more PSM intervenes during your C2 drive than your Cayman S drive.

If power is what you're after, then I agree that a CPO C2S is the way to go.

Remember that your post is on the 997 board when you take the responses you get into perspective.

I drive a C2S now, but I think the Cayman S is an absolutely terrific, balanced car, and I would never talk it down, even when comparing it to a 911.

-B
Old 05-19-2007, 02:01 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I drove a Boxster S for several years in between my string of 911's. It was a fun little car, handled great. But I was never really satisfied by it and was waiting out time to get back into a 911. I haven't driven a Cayman but I assume the comparisons would be similar.

For me, there is no comparison between the 911 (to use the generic term) and anything else. So like almost everybody else says, I'd go for the Carrera. Having said that, I think the idea of buying a low milage CPO C2S makes lots of sense - that way you get the extra power and more options, versus a stripper. But if you want new, there is nothing wrong with a C2, still a plenty fast, awesome car.

BTW, those little seats in the back are very handy if you have kids - I use them constantly, and the whole family (grown kids excepted) can fit in my C2S.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:01 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I have a Boxster S, a Carrera S, and a 944 Turbo. I love my loaded Carrera S but it is a close to $100K car after tax and license... However, if I were to choose between a loaded Cayman S and a base Carrera, I would go with a Cayman S with following option:

- Speed Yellow (as your choice of color)
- Preferred Package Plus (Bi-Xenon, Bose, Power Seat, CD Changer, ....)
- Porsche Ceremic Composite Brake (PCCB)
- Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)

That is it, about $74K. That is an awesome Cayman S I am proud to own.

Just a thought,

With best regards,

Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

The jump seats in the back of the 911 are worth their weight in gold if you have to haul little ones around occasionally.

You can even fit an adult back there for short durations, oh yeah and STOKED

Quick Reply: Cayman S to Carrera?