Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE vs Fabspeed vs Cargraphic vs BB Exhauts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

synergy...do you have a 997S or a 997 coupe? The shop tried to put my OEM 997 tips onto the AWE exhaust and they wouldn't fit...not without some cutting and modification. That defeats the purpose of the upgrade also...Fortunately they were able to locate a set of AWE tips in PA which should arrive in the AM to complete the install. Apparently the shop manager spoke with AWE and their site lists incorrect info about the exhaust fitting all stock 997 OEM exhaust/tips. They've been having some issues (as I have observered today) with fittment thus the re-designed tips. Anyway I should have the new tips and be good to go tomorrow. Thankx
Old 05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
synergy...do you have a 997S or a 997 coupe?
I have a 997S....that is probably the issue as the OEM 997S tips fit the AWE muffler. Maybe its not the case for the 997 tip.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

997 tip inlet is smaller than the 997S tip inlet. 997 tips and 997S tips will not retro fit each other.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 AM
shlbrn
Advanced

i just had the AWE installed. Purchased a set of S tips from someone on the board as it saved me about $300 dollars. When it came time to install the tips, the pipe was a smaller diameter than the tips with the spacer. Matrixintegrated in Portland took the pipes and had them flared to provide proper fitment. Once installed there was a funny Phhhhhfffft sound. After several discussions with AWE, they determined the flare was slightly off center and causing a bit of a back flow resulting in the noise.

I had heard other AWE systems and the sound/volume etc was smooth and crisp with no overtones or fuzziness. AWE promptly sent new pipes that better centered in the openings for the pipes and equally flared the ends to accept the S tips. Sounds much better now. I am not sure why they say you can use the S tips, I know they have new production equipment but you would expect the product to be consistent with their web information.

In any event, they worked with Matrix to solve the issue and I am a happy camper, the car sounds like it feels and performs...not my wife's sewing machine

Deacon
Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

I used my stock S tips with the AWE system and had no issues.....
As for the AWE sound, I'm still trying to get on the subjective "band wagon".... BUT, at times, from in the car, it sounds more like my son's modded Honda than it did before....
My one big concern is the exposed driver's side header pipe that hangs down.....

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Strange how the drivers side hangs lower than the passenger. is that normal or done for a reason?
Peter, try not to go off road too much with it!
Hey, did you have any trouble passing the sound limit at Calabogie? What did you measure? Apparently Tremblant is way more strict...so do I order an exhaust or not?
Cheers!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Strange how the drivers side hangs lower than the passenger. is that normal or done for a reason?
Peter, try not to go off road too much with it!
Hey, did you have any trouble passing the sound limit at Calabogie? What did you measure? Apparently Tremblant is way more strict...so do I order an exhaust or not?
Cheers!
Hey Chris!
No idea why it hangs that low, but it's designed to do it though.... perhaps part of the "equal length" collector tube science?
I'm not as worried hitting it going off-road..... as I am racing over Timmy H's drive thru speed bumps chasing my Caffeine Fix, on the way to the track!!

As for db levels, I have no idea what the new system measures, it never arrived until after the DE in Calabogie... I was assured by Mike at AWE it would pass their sound check..... we'll see in July, if not sooner (I hope!!)
I did have the EVO CAI installed before Calabogie and it wasn't a sound issue.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice. Well i hope that you warm up to the system and enjoy it's fruity sounds!
Just finished a nice Tim Ho's 14oz'er myself...yum.
Have a good one!
Chris
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Got the tips installed onto my Carrera 997...seems to have gotten the last available set of AWE tips out there before the redesign. Shop manager said AWE said something about problems with the current tips fitting on the C4 997's so they updated the design and that was the reason for the delay. New AWE tips will fit any model without modification I am told and will be released on the 1st week of June or so. Anyway here's my 997 with the exhaust. Nice and the sound it really improved. My wife heard it when I started up in my garage and came out thinking I'd bought another new toy! "Told her naw...just updated the old ones."

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
shlbrn
Advanced

Default Hung Far Lo

I don't know why your headers are so low, looks like they might have been installed improperly...hope this pic helps. AWE installation on C2 by Matrixintegrated in Portland, Or.

Deacon
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
raffi
Pro

looks really nice mdrobc, i had the AWE mufflers and thought they sounded great too.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shlbrn

I don't know why your headers are so low, looks like they might have been installed improperly...hope this pic helps. AWE installation on C2 by Matrixintegrated in Portland, Or.

Deacon
Thanks for your reply Deacon,
1/ Attached is my "Stock" before picture showing the stock headers, along with an after picture, clearly showing the AWE FULL system.
2/ It's obvious from your picture the C2 does not have AWE headers. It either has stock headers along with AWE sport cats and cans, or some other form of header.... or the C2 AWE header is completely different than the C2S header....
3/ Explain how anyone could improperly install a set of headers to make the pipe hang low. That statement just makes no sense to anyone who has ever done an install.....The header bolts to the engine head, which is basically a positionally fixed item, while all other parts (cats, cans and tips) have a certain degree of adjustability

Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

What does Mike from AWE have to say about the low hang of the AWE headers?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
What does Mike from AWE have to say about the low hang of the AWE headers?
Good question, I have just forwarded the link directly to Mike for a reply.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do I say? Well, nothing. It's an equal length header. That is just how they look.

***Also, if you are Non-S 997 owners, you must either purchase our tips, or OEM S model tips. The non-S tips will cause a restriction in flow and negate any of the power gains.***

****If you have purchased our system, PLEASE read the instructions before install! I beg of you. The compression rings from the OEM tips must be reused. Ugh, can't tell you how many times I have had to explain that one....*****

We did make a slight change to the tip sections that attach to the muffler. We were losing sales to clients that purchased PSE, but wanted to get rid of it. We made a change to acoomodate those potential clients.

For those of you that are on this board singing our praises, THANK YOU. As a company that was built mostly via the internet with little to no magazine press, we cannot stress how much that means to us. We do appreciate your business.

For those of you that purchased a competitors system, PLEASE tell me why. I would like to know what we could have done to earn your business.

To all, have a great holiday.

Saturday, I will be tanning at the Jersey shore. Sunday at a BBQ. Monday at Lime Rock for Grand Am!

Quick Reply: AWE vs Fabspeed vs Cargraphic vs BB Exhauts