Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I had a tire patched and then did a time trial event. I
would not feel good about a plug. Going thru tires
is part of owning a Porsche. I would patch and then drive the hell
out of it so you can buy some new tires soon.
Paul
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
HIGHSURVEY
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on tire fix/replace:
Plugged the flat tire. Lasted two days. Heard a sound similar to spitting your gum out the car window. Mile down the road tire goes flat. Spoke to respected owner of tire store. Says no reputable company will plug ANY type of tire anymore. Fastest road to a lawsuit. Decided enough is enough. Gonna buy new tire. Had the car towed to the dealer and reluctantly am resigned to the following: Buy two new Pirellis (Porsche insists gotta replace both) ($495 each) considered changing to another brand but was informed Porsche will only change types if all FOUR tires are replaced. Sticking with Pirellis. Mounting: $49.00 for both (such a deal!) Alignment (HIGHLY recomended (practically insisted upon): $250. Next day shipping charges (because of course tires not in stock) $150. Can somebody please pass the Vaseline. Upside: I'l be driving my baby early next week. (It'll probably rain).
Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Here you go...
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2007, 08:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Not to make you feel worse, but my local Porsche dealer charged me $475/tire, no shipping fee, and no alignment charge. Dude, they are putting it to you. I'd go somewhere else if possible. For the extra $400 (150 for shipping, 250 for alignment) that they are sticking to you, plus what they are overcharging for the Pzero's, you could probably go to a tire dealer and swap out the whole set for some PS2's. Should you go ahead with the stealership's plan, as I mentioned before, save the tire that didn't flat just in case you flat another rear down the road.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHSURVEY
Update on tire fix/replace:
Plugged the flat tire. Lasted two days. Heard a sound similar to spitting your gum out the car window. Mile down the road tire goes flat. Spoke to respected owner of tire store. Says no reputable company will plug ANY type of tire anymore. Fastest road to a lawsuit. Decided enough is enough. Gonna buy new tire. Had the car towed to the dealer and reluctantly am resigned to the following: Buy two new Pirellis (Porsche insists gotta replace both) ($495 each) considered changing to another brand but was informed Porsche will only change types if all FOUR tires are replaced. Sticking with Pirellis. Mounting: $49.00 for both (such a deal!) Alignment (HIGHLY recomended (practically insisted upon): $250. Next day shipping charges (because of course tires not in stock) $150. Can somebody please pass the Vaseline. Upside: I'l be driving my baby early next week. (It'll probably rain).
I realize it's probably too late, but if it were me, buy the tires direct from Tire Rack and have them ship them to the dealer. That is what I've always done, and my dealer's honest. They stock or order tires for customers who prefer not to buy their own or wait, and they charge accordingly. The mounting charge is average to low for a Porsche dealer. Mine would charge $40 each, except that I point out their competing dealers in DFW would do it for $25 each--so that's what I pay. Still too much but they're not going to fubar my rims and I get a free loaner instead of waiting, while the work is done.

Quick Reply: fix flat or buy new tire?