Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 993 owners have a superiority complex?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Yes 993 owners do have a superiority complex and it's rightfully deserved.

Huh? Someone can deservedly have a superiority complex because he owns a nice car? Sorry don't find the logic in that statement.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The whole premise of the thread is preposterous and absurd.

An owner may think his car is superior but that does not necessarily stem from nor lead to the stated psychological condition.

Technologically, the old 993 is obviously inferior in every respect to the new 997 (as if this were really in question), and even the 996. But among air cooled 911s the 993 is superior inasmuch as the latest is always the greatest.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Superior A$$

You can't help but feel superior with an A$$ like that... I mean just look at it... If it was a woman you'd be all over it
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
As for the superiority complex thing, yeah maybe a bit about the marque and the history and enthusiast thing... i have personally counted (literally) 12 instances of driving by 997s and waving with no response... that has never happened to me when I drive by an aircooled Porsche... never... says something about the enthusiast thing, I think... however, the 997 owners on this board are probably an exception to this observation
I think that has more to do with the fact that most 993s on the road today are cars that were resold to enthusiasts. Back in the 90s, a lot of 993s were bought/leased to individuals that had no idea what the marque meant and simply wanted a status symbol who would have been just as perplexed to get waved at by another "car". As these cars came back onto the market, mostly enthusiasts were willing to ante up the money to own a used sports car. The same thing is happening with 996s and will with 997s...just give it time. Most enthusiasts I know would rather sit back and let the wannabes and poseurs take the depreciation hit on a new car before stepping in and snapping it up at a discount on the resale market a few years later.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
KeithR3
Pro

It's OK to have a complexes. It keeps me employed.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 AM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
The whole premise of the thread is preposterous and absurd.

An owner may think his car is superior but that does not necessarily stem from nor lead to the stated psychological condition.

Technologically, the old 993 is obviously inferior in every respect to the new 997 (as if this were really in question), and even the 996. But among air cooled 911s the 993 is superior inasmuch as the latest is always the greatest.
OC,

The whole premise of this thread was to open an intersting dialogue regarding the 997 and 993. The thread has certainly accomplished that!. Was the opening salvo provactive--yes. Was it intended to be "tounge in cheek" -- you bet.

So lighten up, enjoy the thread and throw in your two cents if you desire. Fellow Rennlisters certainly seem to enjoy the topic!

BTW, I don't agree that the "latest is always the greatest". How about scotch, wine, prewar construction.....
Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The current one, or better to say the next one!" -- Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport.
This was quoted from an article interviewing Mr. Kristen, when the reporter asked Mr. Kristen if he had had any real favorities <911s>. The article was featured in the 911 & Porsche World magaine, May 2007.

I like the way Mr. Kristen says it. The 911 is all about keep improving and keep improving in the last 40 years. Instead of keep looking back to the last 911s, we should keep looking forward to the next one.

Regards,
Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
This was quoted from an article interviewing Mr. Kristen, when the reporter asked Mr. Kristen if he had had any real favorities <911s>. The article was featured in the 911 & Porsche World magaine, May 2007.

I like the way Mr. Kristen says it. The 911 is all about keep improving and keep improving in the last 40 years. Instead of keep looking back to the last 911s, we should keep looking forward to the next one.

Regards,
Enzo Ferrari and Luca di Montezemolo said the same thing...
Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Yes, after much deliberation, I am convinced I have superiority complex!
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
OC,

The whole premise of this thread was to open an intersting dialogue regarding the 997 and 993. The thread has certainly accomplished that!. Was the opening salvo provactive--yes. Was it intended to be "tounge in cheek" -- you bet.

So lighten up, enjoy the thread and throw in your two cents if you desire. Fellow Rennlisters certainly seem to enjoy the topic!

BTW, I don't agree that the "latest is always the greatest". How about scotch, wine, prewar construction.....
The latest isn't always the greatest even in aircooled 911s.

A '76 is later than a '73 but is a far, far inferior car.

That's just one example. There are others.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:28 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've gotta side with OC. He hit the mark. Psychological state of mind of the owner and the model year of his or her 911 are mutually exclusive. However, I do feel that my car is "cooler" than alot (not all) of the later 911s. That is purely my own personal opinion. Its smaller, feels more raw (read: fun), sporty, nimble, sounds awsome, is less expensive (not including maint.), and looks great. This is not to say I don't admire the newer 911s. I really do, which is why I'm putzing around the "7" board, but I'm just not enamored enough to pay twice as much to have a brand new 911 that will depreciate rapidly the first few years. Derivatives Guy, I don't believe the thread ever suggested a comparison between 993 owners attitude versus those who own 997s. Be that as it may, I like both cars and just know the 997 owner spent alot more $$$$ (or probably pays more per month to drive the 997). All that really does is make me feel smarter leaving that extra cash in the market. Ciao!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I think that has more to do with the fact that most 993s on the road today are cars that were resold to enthusiasts. Back in the 90s, a lot of 993s were bought/leased to individuals that had no idea what the marque meant and simply wanted a status symbol who would have been just as perplexed to get waved at by another "car". As these cars came back onto the market, mostly enthusiasts were willing to ante up the money to own a used sports car. The same thing is happening with 996s and will with 997s...just give it time. Most enthusiasts I know would rather sit back and let the wannabes and poseurs take the depreciation hit on a new car before stepping in and snapping it up at a discount on the resale market a few years later.
+1

Quick Reply: Do 993 owners have a superiority complex?