Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Version/Nav DVD Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This is an interesting thread. My early bulid 05 C2 had the PCM head unit w/o the SOS Button and SIM slot) originally. But a malfunction caused the dealer to change the Head unit to what you refer to to as Level B (w/ SOS button and SIM slot). BUT when i checked the S/W version by pushing MAIN an TRIP it reads S/W version 1.0. SO does that mean that the Newer hedd units can run the older software? AND if i wanted to upgrade my NAV i would only require the newer software 2.1a and no new hardware now that the PCM is Level B? How much does the S/W upgrade cost? I had been wondering this for a while. Thanks for the input on this.

Unfortunately the dealer would NOT upgrade the software when they changed out the old PCM head unit. They just said that you will get what ever S/W version that came with your car.
But it sure is annoing to have to go thru all this hassle just to get the latest Nav disk just b/c you dont have a latest build car.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmat
This is an interesting thread. My early bulid 05 C2 had the PCM head unit w/o the SOS Button and SIM slot) originally. But a malfunction caused the dealer to change the Head unit to what you refer to to as Level B (w/ SOS button and SIM slot). BUT when i checked the S/W version by pushing MAIN an TRIP it reads S/W version 1.0. SO does that mean that the Newer hedd units can run the older software? AND if i wanted to upgrade my NAV i would only require the newer software 2.1a and no new hardware now that the PCM is Level B? How much does the S/W upgrade cost? I had been wondering this for a while. Thanks for the input on this.

Unfortunately the dealer would NOT upgrade the software when they changed out the old PCM head unit. They just said that you will get what ever S/W version that came with your car.
But it sure is annoing to have to go thru all this hassle just to get the latest Nav disk just b/c you dont have a latest build car.
I thought PCM S/W is simply downloaded by Porsche Service via the PWIS or a DVD upload. I might be wrong but this my understanding. Model B PCM H/W has 3.0 or 3.1 level S/W. Thats what the service bulletin state.

I think Porsche service departments are in the dark as well. I've never really gotten a consistant story regarding PCM levels from them.

Most of the answers come from forums like these.

It shouldn't be this tough!

Good luck . . . .
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Actually you maybe right. They probably just reloaded the s/w version 1.0 in to the new PCM head unit at the dealership. I remember they forgot to adding some of the User Adjustable features that comes with the sport chrono. And they added it later via a software upload. And they used that PWIS thing to do it. SO you may be right.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aperkins
According to Porsche Tech Bulletins 665 & 670 the lastest version of NAV DVD S/W is 04.2204/08.2004/10.2004 for 997 cars built prior to Mid June 2005. This level is appropriate for PCM S/W levels 1.0, 2.0 & 2.1. That build cycle uses Model Level A parts.

Later versions (post June 2005 build) of NAV DVD require Model Level B PCM H/W and PCM S/W (3.0 & 3.1).

You cannot mix Level A parts w/ Level B parts.

To my understanding you'll have to acquire a Level B PCM if you want to use newer NAV or PCM S/W.

I hope this sheds some light on upgrading.

I currently own an launch car 05 Boxster S with PCM 2.1 Nav and CD Changer.

Last Friday I went to my dealer and they upgraded my system from 1.0 to 3.0. This would dispell the myth about PCM S/W levels. It was completed in about 20 minutes.
I had asked them to update this for me because I want to install the Dension Icelink 500 in my and was told I needed the update.

I was also told that anyone could get "level B" by simply having the correct disk to upgrade. I did not some new options in the PCM that I cant remember at this time.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:49 PM
AP997S
Pro

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
I currently own an launch car 05 Boxster S with PCM 2.1 Nav and CD Changer.

Last Friday I went to my dealer and they upgraded my system from 1.0 to 3.0. This would dispell the myth about PCM S/W levels. It was completed in about 20 minutes.
I had asked them to update this for me because I want to install the Dension Icelink 500 in my and was told I needed the update.

I was also told that anyone could get "level B" by simply having the correct disk to upgrade. I did not some new options in the PCM that I cant remember at this time.
Does your PCM have the Phone SIM Slot and the SOS button up top. If it does you have 'Level B Hardware'. If so that could explain why the update worked. If you don't then all the TSBs are wrong.

BTW: I'm running a Dension Gateway 500 in my 2005 997S w/ the older version of PCM 2.1 and S/W 1.0. The Dension w/ IPOD works just fine (fine means it integrates w/ PCM 2.1 & MOST). Fine doesn't mean that the Dension is fault free.

Let us know your PCM 2.1 configuration (ie. sim slot and SOS button.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My PCM 2.1 has these options!

Does your PCM have the Phone SIM Slot and the SOS button up top.
Yes, I do have the SIM Slot and SOS button up top.

If it does you have 'Level B Hardware'. If so that could explain why the update worked. If you don't then all the TSBs are wrong.

I didn't realize that I had level B hardware. I guess I bugged my dealer for nothing. Nonetheless, I received the latest firmware and navigation updates. I have never notice any PCM 2.1 without these features. I will have to look much closer next time.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
maxterrier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a launch 05 997 and pcm has SOS button on top, and SIM Slot. It had a standar in europe.

now i'm going to update the S/W because of i would like to use the new 05/2007 european DVD. my car has 10.2004 european dvd.

i can say that i've saw the Update CD in my porsche dealer today, but i'm not sure they do for free. i'll try it.

i don't uderstand why some 997 is using the old PCM unit from last 996.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
AP997S
Pro

Originally Posted by maxterrier
i have a launch 05 997 and pcm has SOS button on top, and SIM Slot. It had a standar in europe.

now i'm going to update the S/W because of i would like to use the new 05/2007 european DVD. my car has 10.2004 european dvd.

i can say that i've saw the Update CD in my porsche dealer today, but i'm not sure they do for free. i'll try it.

i don't uderstand why some 997 is using the old PCM unit from last 996.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if they 'give' you an newer NAV DVD.

Keep us posted
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 AM
maxterrier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

free ¿?¿?¿

no, they say me that the software update will be free, they get a copy for me soon.

but the dvd map i'll must buy in ebay, 75-100 €.

Quick Reply: PCM Version/Nav DVD Question