Sponsored by:

One More Time...Flat Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One More Time...Flat Tire Question

First, let me say that I'm still a fairly new first time Porsche owner: 2006 997 cabrio purchased new last Spring.

The whole "missing spare" thing never bothered me because, hell, "what are the odds" type of thinking seemed reasonable. Now having experienced a roadside flat on my other car (an Acura) that had the good old spare tire and thus I was going again in thirty minutes, I'm revisiting the topic.

So just a few questions that I didn't seem to find answered clearly in my thread search -- if I missed them, I apologize.

I'd prefer not to buy a workable spare and then deal with finding a place to carry both it and luggage, so my questions are on the "plug it if possible" route.

Is carrying and using a radial repair kit plug realistic as a roadside option if you don't have a jack to lift the car and examine/spin the tire? It doesn't seem like there is much room to work given the amount of tire that is actually visible between the fender and the ground. Is that kind of kit preferable to the Porsche supplied goop and compressor as a first try?

Is the "fix-a flat" product different from the Porsche supplied stuff; it appears to work w/o needing to use the compressor? So it seems simpler.

I've read the threads about these goops ruining the tire if left in too long. I've always figured that once the tire has been punctured, it would need to be replaced anyway. So does the goop damage the wheel rim in addition to the tire? Is that the downside?

And finally, I bought the tire/wheel insurance when I bought the car. Does use of any of these goops invalidate the insurance if the wheel ends up messed up as a result?

Sorry for the long post, but this forum seems to be the definitive word and I haven't bothered you guys at all in my first year.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Sorry for the long post, but this forum seems to be the definitive word and I haven't bothered you guys at all in my first year.

Thanks,
Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forum. Please don't feel like you're bothering anyone by posting!
Unfortunately I'm one of the guys who carries a spare.
That being said, as my tires are getting a little 'old' now I would strongly consider using the fix-a-flat route. I'm not sure if there's any difference in composition between the Porsche goop and fix-a-flat brand.
Years ago I used fix-a-flat many times on an old Rx-7. I even tracked that car frequently with the goop in there w/o any problems. That being said, I think I was just lucky that I never had a horrible blowout.
There are many opinions on the replace/don't replace tire issue. I believe the Porsche word is to replace. Others have patched w/o problems.
I occasionally get to some fairly high speeds in my toy so I will no doubt replace the tire when I get my first puncture - after limping home on my spare or on the goop.
I say if you don't want to carry a spare, use the goop/fix-a-flat method and then replace the tire when you are able to (i.e. not in the middle of nowhere). The spare of course helps when the goop won't work.

Again, welcome Kevin.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:11 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the spare, bolt it in with concavity facing rest of trunk. Use duffel bags up there. Result: no big loss of space.

Carry a DIY plug kit (jack and wrench too). Unreliable goop use is for ladies.

Use plug kit, if that doesn't work use spare. All bases covered; no completely ruined days (maybe a week for new tire to arrive) due to spareless car.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

All good questions Kevin. Unfortunately, I can't answer any of them, as I carry a spare... most of the time. On occasion when I need to carry something that I don't want to put in the back seat and won't fit in the front, I take out the spare and take my chances. I figure the odds are in my favor with this approach, but predictably, I flatted not too long ago when I didn't have the spare with me. Fortunately I was about 2 miles from the house, and had my wife bring the spare to me.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

I use a spare also but as mglobe said , sometimes I take it out if I need to and take my chances. If I were to go on a long trip I would take the spare as to not ruin the day,week..... I got my spare from a junk yard from a 996 ( I have a non-S 977 ) don't think it would fit on the S because of the bigger brakes, as far as pluging the tire, thats ok as I've done that on my work trucks with out any prob. (10,000 plus loads)just not more than 2 or 3 times. the plug kits that they sell at the parts store are very cheep and are hard to use so I got a kit from were they sell Bobcat loaders, very heavy duty ( the part you use to reem out the hole and put the plug in , they wont bend on you like the cheep ones do ) hope this help. ----------mike
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by micgreeny
I got my spare from a junk yard from a 996 ( I have a non-S 977 ) don't think it would fit on the S because of the bigger brakes, . ----------mike
If it were the fully blown up doughnut spare from 996 and 986 it _will_ fit on 997S with red (Turbo) brakes. There will be 2-3mm to spare clearance wise, but it will fit.

The collapsible spare will fit on 997_S_ no problem (about 15-20 mm clearance). I'm not sure but I think it will also fit on PCCB equipped 997s too. (nobody has confirmed this, that I remember) _IF_ it were to fit there's gonna be about 2-3mm clearance which is fine.

Problem with "doughnut" (vs. collapsible C4) spare is it must be stored in trunk slanted back, taking up alot of room. Can also strike underside of hood if not slanted right and fastened securely.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM
elh0102
Instructor

I recommend a spare. There are too many punctures the fix-a-flat stuff won't fix. And a plug can be huge pain to install without removing the wheel from the car. I have a 997S, and bought the collapsible spare which, I think, was made for the turbo. I put it up front, and with a folded rag on top, it rests against the hood. I have my BMW jack kit beside it, so it can't really move anywhere, and no bolting required.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in middle of nowhere. I don't have a spare. Maybe one day I'll have to spend a few hours on the side of the road. I don't let it change the way I drive.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Holli82
I live in middle of nowhere. I don't have a spare. Maybe one day I'll have to spend a few hours on the side of the road. I don't let it change the way I drive.
Allow me to suggest, without the spare, it is verrry likely your time spent disabled on the side of the road (and elsewhere) will be far greater than "a few hours."

In addition to the roadside wait, finding a replacement tire is not easy, arriving at a Porsche dealership during business hours is not assurred. Make sure you call towing outfit _personally_ to make sure they send a flatbed. There's more that can add up to more than a few hours.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Lets see...3+ years with my M3 and no spare. 1+ year in my 997. Maybe I'm due for a flat. I'm still not changing my driving habits or driving around worrying about a flat.
Come to think of it, 2 months ago I was disabled by a rock to my front radiator. Maybe I should carry an extra one those too.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Drive faster to reduce the time you're on the road. Oh and get a spare.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the good tips and the humor to boot.

What exactly is a collapsable spare? Does it store easier in the boot or the rear seat area than a standard doughnut?

For those who store the spare in the back seat area, I'm guessing it wouldn't work as well in a cabriolet where when the top is down the windscreen is generally in place. Can't imagine it would fit on the floor back there. I have the 18" standard wheels.

I like the reply about the "unreliable goop is for the ladies," I'm assuming this means I should have my wife give that method a try before I get out of the car.

Kevin K.

Last edited by Kevin K; 04-23-2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added a point.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i had a M3 for 4 years and now the 997s for a year, with only one flat in that time( that happen just a month ago). The flat was notice at home, so it was easy to take the wheel off and run it to the tire place to get a patch plug. I plan on get a new tire soon but the plug will hold me until then. I have a truck, that I have found a nail in it several times. Not one time had I not notice it to where I couldn't just plug it. I carry a plug kit with me.. I guess there is that chance where my plug kit won't work but I'm not carrying space tire in my backseat or in the trunk just to cover that slim chance....I guess I like living on the edge..
Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
elh0102
Instructor

I just got in from what was supposed to be a 2-day track event at VIR. I managed to cut a rear tire during my second session. The damage was right at the junction of the tread and sidewall, so even if it had been a small nail puncture it couldn't be safely repaired, and the fix-a-flat stuff probably would not have worked either. I didn't try it, since I knew the tire was shot for any track use. I called all the local tire shops, and of course, PS2's in 305/30-19 were not to be found. I inflated the collapsible spare I bought shortly after buying the car, and drove 65 miles home without further incident. And a rear tire will fit behind the passenger seat, but it's tight. Luckily, I had no passenger, and I barely got all my gear to fit. So now, my track event is a bust, but at least I'm home, rather than waiting for a flatbed. I've owned two M3's without spares, and a corvette, and this is the first time I really needed one (although I carried a track wheel/tire in the M3 for a spare when traveling). So again, I encourage getting a spare. It's not often needed, but it can be really, really needed.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:26 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

I just bought my spare, jack and tools off ebay last night. It was off a Boxster. I have been watching the online actions. The kits usually go for a little more than $300. I would gladly pay $300 have to sit by the edge of the road. This will be my first mod to my 6 week old 997. I am not sure that thee spare will always be in the trunk. I need to see how my finished installation will be, how much room is occupied, etc.

I still need to buy my plug kit which will be my preferred first choice. The fix-a-flat will be my last choice

Quick Reply: One More Time...Flat Tire Question