Sponsored by:

Delivery Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
GWD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Delivery Question

I apologize up front if this sounds like whining, as I know many of you have faced similar circumstances. But, therapeutically it's important My C4S completed production March 7th and missed the next boat. Now, after making port in Brunswick April 7th it has still not passed through PDI. My dealer has called and no reason has been given and no potential delivery date can be projected. The dealer indicates that there might have been a couple of ships making port around the same time, but it's speculation. I've also read that if they ding the car in transit that the port PDI handles it and is supposed to tell the dealer if it's big. For my mental health, any info on your experiences concerning port PDI or port-delivery delays would be much appreciated. Again sorry for the downer subject.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

If your dealer is not willing to send a truck for that car, something might be amiss. I had a great experience with my first one years ago, and the dealer sent a personal truck to port rather than wait for transport to take two weeks.

Port operations run like an ant farm when the boats are in. They can process hundreds of cars each day, so your car should have gone through inspection/customs by day 3 (Apr 10th), and been on a truck within a few days, and to NC a day later. BUT, if it is not about to show up in the next 72 hours, I'd raise hell with your dealer.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
If your dealer is not willing to send a truck for that car, something might be amiss. I had a great experience with my first one years ago, and the dealer sent a personal truck to port rather than wait for transport to take two weeks.
Port operations run like an ant farm when the boats are in. They can process hundreds of cars each day, so your car should have gone through inspection/customs by day 3 (Apr 10th), and been on a truck within a few days, and to NC a day later. BUT, if it is not about to show up in the next 72 hours, I'd raise hell with your dealer.

Eric-

be careful here- Dealers simply cannot send trucks to the port due to security issues thanks to Sept. 11th, this isn't 1987 anymore ya know!

Suggesting a dealer is not 'willing' to send a truck is, even tho with good intentions, is sending the wrong message to a client.

To the original poster-

Many things may and CAN happen- including OVER booking a ship. Don't let your imagination run wild here. We had a car miss the boat as a simple logistical mistake. It happens.

I've said it once I'll say it again: These cars aren't Chevy Cobalts being built by the second. Or Toyota's for that matter. Porsche is still a low production car company (for a mass produced sports car) and human interaction is a big part of delays with the car. Yes, if the car is damaged while being shipped, the Port must take care of it. Most times is a simple buff here or there. But if it's serious damage- the Port will call ahead and bring you up to speed of the situation.

I have a client right now *cough 'chris' cough* that his car is STILL in production. I'm not that concerned with it b/c PAG has to manually update PCNA. Yes, litterally someone has to push a button to update PCNA.

In any event, I'd just do yourself a favor and go get a nice Carmel Machiato (sp?) and just relax. Your baby will be in your hands shortly.

Chris
Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

My comments are based on 1) an assumption of which dealer it is - and they do enough volume to send their Porsche/Ferrari enclosed trailer for two, and 2) the location is close enough to go get the car.

But IF the transport system is behind, and that is the reason for the delay, they could surely resolve this by sending the trucks they have and retrieving the cars. Not to say they must do it, but if it goes beyond another week, I'd be suspicious of damage.

If, on the other hand, it's simply an overbooked port operations issue, there is little any dealer can do, other than get updated information that is honest and factual.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD
I apologize up front if this sounds like whining, as I know many of you have faced similar circumstances. But, therapeutically it's important My C4S completed production March 7th and missed the next boat. Now, after making port in Brunswick April 7th it has still not passed through PDI. My dealer has called and no reason has been given and no potential delivery date can be projected. The dealer indicates that there might have been a couple of ships making port around the same time, but it's speculation. I've also read that if they ding the car in transit that the port PDI handles it and is supposed to tell the dealer if it's big. For my mental health, any info on your experiences concerning port PDI or port-delivery delays would be much appreciated. Again sorry for the downer subject.

Welcome to the world of worrying about your Porsche. You are not unique!

I went so far as to call the stevedores in San Diego to inquire about the delay in port for my car. The guy knew who I was immediately,--among the dozens and dozens of cars they had just gotten in! (I said. "It's blue." --"I know the car.")

What happened to me was Porsche Cars North America had requested a country-wide audit of every car in the country at ports and it held up deliveries. Every single car had to be hand counted and accounted for. I think it took them an extra week to do it. When I dropped my car off in Zuffenhausen on 3 July 06 I would never see it again until 7 Sep 06. They said that it would take 6-10 weeks. Well, it took 6-10 weeks. Be patient, and don't let your imagination run wild. It is most likely fine, but just one of many. This entire shipping process is logistically challenging, and quite frankly, a bargain at about $1000 a car.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 PM
GWD
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information. It helps to hear from others, including folks in the business. I trust my dealer is doing what they can (phone harrassment, etc), but would just like to have some idea of when things might/should break. I thought I was a mature adult, but I've become amazed at how childish I'm becoming. Hopefully pictures soon....
Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD
Thanks for the information. It helps to hear from others, including folks in the business. I trust my dealer is doing what they can (phone harrassment, etc), but would just like to have some idea of when things might/should break. I thought I was a mature adult, but I've become amazed at how childish I'm becoming. Hopefully pictures soon....
GWD -
I think the delay you are experiencing is par for the course.
You should also be prepared for another 'wait' once the car reaches your dealership. Sometimes getting the Cert of Origin can take a while for the dealer to obtain.....so, be patient! Your wait is almost over.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Sometimes getting the Cert of Origin can take a while for the dealer to obtain.....so, be patient!
dave, your dealer made you wait until they received the cert. of origin / mso b/f they would deliver the vehicle to you?
that's not necessary to complete the paperwork and deliver the car.
it goes to the state dmv to get the title.

so many compliments on the pic had to go back to the old avatar!?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
dave, your dealer made you wait until they received the cert. of origin / mso b/f they would deliver the vehicle to you?
that's not necessary to complete the paperwork and deliver the car.
it goes to the state dmv to get the title.

so many compliments on the pic had to go back to the old avatar!?
I think the dealer needs it to go to the DMV,...no?
As for the avatar,....yeah, I like that one but I'm 'cycling' them a la you.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

As for the avatar,....yeah, I like that one but I'm 'cycling' them a la you.

Dealer recieves title first, and then when sold it goes to the DMV or BMV depending on what the state calls it.

We had a car "at Port" for over three weeks due to logistcal delays with ships being late into port.

Believe me, we've tried to send our guy down with his truck to pick up ONE car. They told us "don't bother- he'll be turned around at the gate. Unless of course he's an employee of the transport company...".

It's not as simple as picking up the phone and saying "hey , we're sending a guy down to pick up the car". If it was, could you imagine the cluster **** that would happen if EVERY CLIENT demanded we do so?

Taking that option off the board allows for a much more reliable and smooth program in the process of cars.

Be patient my friend. I'm sure it's fine.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM
GWD
Rennlist Member

Again, thanks for info. It helps to know what the limits are for dealer intervention. Sometimes the lack of information is worse than just knowing that you've got to wait another 2-3 weeks. But, the fever is gone for now and I've steeled myself to taking it as it comes. As long as it gets here before the end of April so I can get enough miles in to enjoy the Tail of the Dragon trip planned for late May!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Eric-

be careful here- Dealers simply cannot send trucks to the port due to security issues thanks to Sept. 11th, this isn't 1987 anymore ya know!

Suggesting a dealer is not 'willing' to send a truck is, even tho with good intentions, is sending the wrong message to a client.

To the original poster-

Many things may and CAN happen- including OVER booking a ship. Don't let your imagination run wild here. We had a car miss the boat as a simple logistical mistake. It happens.

I've said it once I'll say it again: These cars aren't Chevy Cobalts being built by the second. Or Toyota's for that matter. Porsche is still a low production car company (for a mass produced sports car) and human interaction is a big part of delays with the car. Yes, if the car is damaged while being shipped, the Port must take care of it. Most times is a simple buff here or there. But if it's serious damage- the Port will call ahead and bring you up to speed of the situation.

I have a client right now *cough 'chris' cough* that his car is STILL in production. I'm not that concerned with it b/c PAG has to manually update PCNA. Yes, litterally someone has to push a button to update PCNA.

In any event, I'd just do yourself a favor and go get a nice Carmel Machiato (sp?) and just relax. Your baby will be in your hands shortly.

Chris
You make it sound like I look for frequent updates??
Old 04-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by E55AMG
You make it sound like I look for frequent updates??

Wha-?! You?! No way!!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, but it's not a necessity for that to be done at time of delivery.
title application just needs to be signed.

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Dealer recieves title first, and then when sold it goes to the DMV or BMV depending on what the state calls it.
you're mixing words. dealer receives cert. of origin / mso / mco or whatever you want to call it.
(whether it comes b/f vehicle depends on which oem)
then it is sent to state along w/ title app to get the title.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
yes, but it's not a necessity for that to be done at time of delivery.
title application just needs to be signed.

you're mixing words. dealer receives cert. of origin / mso / mco or whatever you want to call it.
(whether it comes b/f vehicle depends on which oem)
then it is sent to state along w/ title app to get the title.

Yup, you're right Jeff- typically I don't get involved with that process. But right you are my friend!

Quick Reply: Delivery Question