Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Speed Brake Squeal X2

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:47 AM

Unhappy Low Speed Brake Squeal X2

My 07S developed a low speed (30mph-2mph) brake squeal at about 1200 miles (currently@ 2200) and I've tried everything from repeated hard 80-20 stops, flushing out the brakes (when cold of course) etc etc but the squeal remains. Has anyone here had any luck getting the dealership to fix the problem and if so exactly what did they do? A guy on Renntech had the same problem with his 074S and his dealership put anti squeal paste behind the pads and so far, the squeal is gone, but that was just two days ago. It's pretty bad when your $90,000.00 car comes to a stop squealing like a city bus. I'd really appreciate any help here and thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Occasionally you can get a small stone lodged in there which will do these things. Your hard stops are a good try to dislodge it. If you're not happy you should take it back to the dealer. I agree, they are not city buses!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 AM

Thanks.
My dealership is telling me it's normal and Porsche won't cover it . They also said some 997 brakes squeal and some don't...my response was, I want one's that don't! They told me they'd still check with Porsche and would let me know next week. How difficult is it to pull the pads so I can have a look?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is easy to pull the pads and I am sure there is info on this site, but I do not know that will help. My fronts started several months ago and it was time to change pads and after the change the noise remains. I go in reverse and hit the brakes several times hard and this seems to help.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
It is easy to pull the pads and I am sure there is info on this site, but I do not know that will help. My fronts started several months ago and it was time to change pads and after the change the noise remains. I go in reverse and hit the brakes several times hard and this seems to help.
Interesting, I had a similar problem with low speed brake squeal on a few new MB's and the problem wasn't the pads but the rotors.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Actually, it is not that easy to simply pull the pads like it used to. You have to consider that there are sensor wires in there, etc. which all make access a little harder.

Rotors, as yo usay, are generally the cause. Sometime a little bit of a lubricate carefully applied to the rear of the pad where it contacts the pistons is well served, but it's not a simple fix. It might not even work. The dealership is technically right,--it isn't covered, but they might try to help you with the problem to maintain good relations with their customers.

(Another reason I'm really glad I spent the extra $8000 for PCCBs--no noise.)
Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am amazed at how fast the steel rotors rust... I'm wondering how much this rust affects noise level when it gets pushed into the perforations in the rotor.

Yeah, one would think the rust would "blow out" of the holes at speed, but it's apparent that all of it does not... you can see it run out when you wash the wheels (in conjunction with the Porsche patented Brake Dust - black and as fine as laser printer toner!).

My front brakes had an annoying low speed squeal around 2-3k miles, but it's gone now at 7k.

-don
Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
I am amazed at how fast the steel rotors rust... I'm wondering how much this rust affects noise level when it gets pushed into the perforations in the rotor.

Yeah, one would think the rust would "blow out" of the holes at speed, but it's apparent that all of it does not... you can see it run out when you wash the wheels (in conjunction with the Porsche patented Brake Dust - black and as fine as laser printer toner!).

My front brakes had an annoying low speed squeal around 2-3k miles, but it's gone now at 7k.

-don
Thanks for the feedback Don...hopefully my squeal will soon disappear as well.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Actually, it is not that easy to simply pull the pads like it used to. You have to consider that there are sensor wires in there, etc. which all make access a little harder.

Rotors, as yo usay, are generally the cause. Sometime a little bit of a lubricate carefully applied to the rear of the pad where it contacts the pistons is well served, but it's not a simple fix. It might not even work. The dealership is technically right,--it isn't covered, but they might try to help you with the problem to maintain good relations with their customers.

(Another reason I'm really glad I spent the extra $8000 for PCCBs--no noise.)
Appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: Low Speed Brake Squeal X2