Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Trips

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Keista
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived with a 1 to 2 hr each way commute (accidents, rain, time of day) for years, then moved my business 4 miles from home. Could never get used to it. I'm now 16 miles and about 1/2 hour each way, with several possible routes. Just right for me and my car....
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I would avoid biking on any public roads, I've had too many close calls and just mountain bike now.

Go out and buy a "beater" and drive the Porsche to work on Fridays
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gonna have to leave my baby home most days. Not quite used to this idea. I have a beater, 97 Pathfinder, that has been mostly a mulch hauler. Guess I will clean her up and make her my daily driver. My Pcar will be relegated to weekend romps. Oh well.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Originally Posted by dgwhitten
I have an 05 C2 that I use as daily driver. I am moving from the suburbs, with its 30 minute commute, to in-town where we will live about a 2 minute drive away from the office. Will a pair of daily 2 minute drives be bad for my car? Thanks
The issue that I see with a short commute like that is that the oil does not get a chance to reach operating temperature. Water accumulates in your oil overnight just like dew does on your grass. The oil must be fully warmed up to operating temperature to rid itself of the water. (According to some in-depth motor oil papers that I've read) it is best to drive the car for at least 15 minutes after it reaches operating temperature to fully "burn off" the water.

This water issue is one of the reasons that the manufacturers recommend changing the oil on cars that aren't driven much over a period of time.

Quick Reply: Short Trips