Vibration in driveline

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in driveline

Well I'm between jobs for a couple of months and so have finally had a chance to put some miles on my C4S on some longer drives. I've had the car since November and just turned 2800 miles. Had the oil changed at 2k miles (used aprox 1qt of mobil 1 during that period) but otherwise zero problems with the car. With more recent and longer drives I started to notice a vibration that was more centered in term of where it was originating from as opposed to say a front tire out of balance which would be very apparent in the steering wheel. Originally I was concerned there might be a problem with the driveline possibly in differential of the front or rear driveshafts just given the nature of the vibration. So this week I took car into my dealer (New Country Porsche in Greenwich) and explained the problem. I was told it was most likely a front tire out of balance and even though it didn't have that feeling to me I let them proceed. Got the call an hour later that the 2 front wheels were in perfect balance so they proceeded to "force balance" the rear wheels and that my drivers side PS2 was out of round. I was told the tire would be $580 to replace! I quickly asked them to please see what they could do as I never locked up the tires or slid the car or did anything in 2800 miles to cause a rear tire problem. At the same instance I was kicking myself for not getting the tire/wheel insurance when I took delivery of the car as that would have just paid for itself! Service manager called an hour later to say the new tire was on and they would deal with Michelin on the problem. Anyway, a positive experience in terms of the extra diagnosis to find the problem rather than just balancing the 2 fronts and sending me on my way and more importantly New Country stepping up to cover replacement cost. It was raining pretty heavy on the way home but it certainly felt vibration free on the smooth pavement of Merrit Pkwy.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Glad you got this taken care of. If it happened with much more mileage you would have been out of luck. After much hesitation, I sprung for $600 wheel and tire insurance. Good for 5 years unlimited mileage. Having damaged an 18 inch wheel twice on my BMW within 10,000 miles I thought it was a good investment on my 19" Porsche wheels. Too many bad roads in New England.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asked my dealer in S CA about this insurance--they didn't have a clue what I was talking about--how did you get this insurance?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by N2XSSPD
Asked my dealer in S CA about this insurance--they didn't have a clue what I was talking about--how did you get this insurance?

I have it with my extended warranty (10 yr/100,000 miles) but it was no where that cheap. But,--it's already paying off! Wheels and tires.

So Cal.

Quick Reply: Vibration in driveline