rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
... most of us see a lesson to be learned here...
Yes, and it's a very simple lesson.

Don't park your car in a grocery parking lot where a runaway cart can hit your car. The next time there may not be someone there to save your ***.

That's the lesson I would learn if that had happened to me. And if your Porsche is your only car then park it as far away as possible in the corners of the lot to minimize that potential, if avoiding small dings is really more important than walking less. (The other lesson about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you should have been learned a long time ago as a child. If you needed to learn that now, you've got a lot to learn yet.)

But the reality is that if your p-car is your only car, you're going to have to come to grips with the fact that it's not going to stay pristine forever. If you can afford a $100k car, you can probably also afford a $5k beater as a daily driver so as to minimize the beating that your $100k car will otherwise take on a daily basis.

I don't claim to be affluent but I was able to afford to buy a brand new car last year as my daily driver so I can keep my 997 pristine, the way I like it. My daily driver is now peppered with quite a bit of stone chips and is showing the 16k+ miles on the clock. But that's why I got it. To take the abuse that I don't want my 997 taking.

Last edited by OCBen; 04-03-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Jonathan,

I'd wave at you, and probably hurt my neck when I turn my head to see that 912 drive by!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this feel good story sure has taken a turn for the worse.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
Wow, this feel good story sure has taken a turn for the worse.
sorry for my contribution to that... wasn't my intention
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
Great story, but some of the replies are disappointing. Would I sprint over to save his car from damage? Of course I would and I wouldn't lose a second of precious time to ponder what brand, vintage, condition the car was in, nor who the driver might be. I would do this because it's the right thing to do. Remember that situation in NYC where people walked by while that woman was being killed - nobody lifted a finger to do or say anything, not even to call the police or scream for help for her. Granted, saving a car from a carriage is a totally different thing, but it's the concept of taking action to help others that is the point.

I wouldn't "pay him" either. If the shoe were on the other foot (and it often is because I go out of my way to help those in need), I'd find it to be insulting. The reward is in knowing you did the right thing, whether it's saving somebody's car from hundreds in damage, saving a kid who is about to ride his trike out into traffic (I've done that one too), etc.

Please tell me I'm not alone in going out of my way to help others...
NO, you are not alone, I would do the same, there is no way I can just watch a careening cart and not do anything. With the cash issue,....May be if he was an obvious student, i may have offered him some and saying something to make sure he doesn't get offended by it, but very rarely will I know for sure he is a student and in need of cash, so most likely i'll do the same as you when it comes to that.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Here is hoping that all of us and other people would do the same thing if needed. There are a lot of good people in this world and unfortunately a few a holes. Here is to the good people!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by rountreed
There are a lot of good people in this world and unfortunately a few a holes. Here is to the good people!
Who you calling an *******? This stranger did a good deed here. Didn't you read the story? It was not about someone damaging someone's car or personal property. Why are you now resorting to name calling and detracting from the feel good story?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Who you calling an *******? This stranger did a good deed here. Didn't you read the story? It was not about someone damaging someone's car or personal property. Why are you now resorting to name calling and detracting from the feel good story?
I don't think he is detracting from the feel good story in any way close to what you have done, intentional or not.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

<If anybody were to run to catch a runaway grocery cart from hitting a beater, that person needs to get a life and see a psychiatrist, as he is probably single, a loner, and mentally maladjusted.>
Ben,>

perhaps your other six thousand two hundred and forty seven other posts were gems, but we could have all lived without this one. as long as we are counting...6,244,45 and 46 were pretty creepy also.
guess when you have as much to say it's hard to keep on top of your game, every time.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

OCBen, as us 'Mexicans' say...

tranquilo, tranquilo....
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I don't think he is detracting from the feel good story in any way close to what you have done, intentional or not.
Good point.

And I was only defending the position that what this total stranger did was unique and special, and that we should admire that, and not take away from the story by saying that we too would do the same thing, thus minimizing and trivializing this Good Samaritan's efforts.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Hey Wolfgang:
Sounds like Forrest Gump lives in your neighborhood!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original post was a great story.

And, hell yes I would do the exact same thing as this guy did, for any car.

My philosphy is that you are the sum of your actions.

I would politely refuse the money, and move on.

Quick Reply: Good deed story of the day: A stranger saved my Porsche