Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Swap - Before & After Pix

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Ben, the inside offset of the Sport Designs are difficult to get to for cleaning purposes. (I hope you're sitting down) I never actually cleaned the insides much. I may be a Virgo when it comes to most stuff, but when you're talking about parts of the car that can't be easily seen, I usually "let it ride." Blaspheme, I know, but...

Glad your center crests are now "perfectly registered." I would expect no less of you. Besides, it's probably good for at least a 0.5 HP gain.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Ben, the inside offset of the Sport Designs are difficult to get to for cleaning purposes. (I hope you're sitting down) I never actually cleaned the insides much. I may be a Virgo when it comes to most stuff, but when you're talking about parts of the car that can't be easily seen, I usually "let it ride." Blaspheme, I know, but...

Glad your center crests are now "perfectly registered." I would expect no less of you. Besides, it's probably good for at least a 0.5 HP gain.
Hmmm, sounds like I might have to remove the wheels each time I clean them then, in order to clean the insides, that is. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that.

Yeah, I actually thought of your post as I was registering them. If you're a bit OCD you'll quickly discover that the crest has a virtual centerline running down the middle and terminates at the "point." I sighted down this centerline to make sure the 'point' points directly at the valve stem.

No kidding, I was wondering where that 0.5 hp boost was coming from.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, what the hell do you know about cleaning wheels or the care of my precious paint? You have really got to get out of that house and come to a PCA event with me. We just had ANOTHER AutoX two weeks ago at El Toro and NO BEN! Do I have to ask your wife if you can come out and play? Steve

I'm stuck in a Virginia hotel so I had some time to pick on you.

[Edit] I think you just paid me back for that crack. I just dropped the ketchup bottle and ketchup went flying all over the hotel room! Thanks Ben.

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks. I'll look into that.

I realize they might be a bit more work cleaning them, but I have a pretty good cleaning tool in mind to make cleaning them a cinch. My only concern is not being to clean the inside of the wheels like I can with my classics. With that many spokes, though, it doesn't seem like you would notice the inside of the wheels much, do you?

Btw, I perfectly "registered" my caps two Saturdays ago when I finally got around to washing the beaut. And I did them perfectly too, just in case you happened to see my car and write me up for not having perfect registration.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hey Steve-o, how's it going, bud?

Looks like you won't be here for the PCA meeting this Saturday. Maybe next month.

Yep, I need to get permission from the misses before I can come out and play.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

am i the only one who prefers the 'before' pics? painted rims just don't do it for me...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Hi Ben,

Everything is good except that I'm far from home. Are you talking about the board meeting? I don't get home until Sat. afternoon. I thought I'd bring up the AutoX because El Toro is really starting to be fun. I didn't think I'd like it but... you know. How's the house coming along?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Hi Ben,

Everything is good except that I'm far from home. Are you talking about the board meeting? I don't get home until Sat. afternoon. I thought I'd bring up the AutoX because El Toro is really starting to be fun. I didn't think I'd like it but... you know. How's the house coming along?
Yeah, the breakfast club meeting. I'll have to join you one of these days at El Toro. House is coming along, slowly but surely.......getting there.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by jjl
am i the only one who prefers the 'before' pics?
You weren't paying attention.

I was hoping to buy them off him.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 AM
mountainmaniac
Advanced

I'm with jjl and OCben. I prefer the original Sport Designs over the painted black sports. But they both look great.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Okay - one last shot to convince "the non-believers" (and because the lighting was just perfect this AM).

Old 04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

The new black wheels look great!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:31 PM
paragongja
Intermediate

Nice! Plus you can actually clean them.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Leader
Okay - one last shot to convince "the non-believers" (and because the lighting was just perfect this AM).

Is it me or do all wheel options look good to very good on our cars? I'm seeing my 997 with the wheels from my 1st car - a 1970 Chevy Malibu (got it in 1992) in my mind's eye and damn if the car still looks good.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I have always disliked black wheels on cars until now...these really look nice with your car. I usually think black or dark wheels look like the old guy wearing the big black socks with his white velcro tennis shoes. But these do look good.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Looking good Leader!

Quick Reply: Wheel Swap - Before & After Pix