Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe 997 Hardtop Chafing Paint Damage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:06 PM
damoncooper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe 997 Hardtop Chafing Paint Damage!

I was anxious to get the hardtop off to enjoy the warmer weather (I have a 2006 997 Cab with hardtop option that was dealer installed last Nov).

So I followed the User Manual and removed it carefully per the instructions, and I was horrified to discover serious deep gouging damage on the left and right rear softtop cover, chafing had worn through the clearcoat, through the paint, and into the bare metal. The damage spots are about 4 inches long on each side.

The rear softtop cover needs to replaced, the damage is so severe, as I don't want bondo (or similar) used at some body shop to build up the worn away metal.

This is clearly a warranty item, but what the hell happened here? Has anyone here ever heard of this before?

I presume the hardtop is defective and will need repair/replacement as well. Surely, having the hardtop on for 6 months could not have been the problem? Surely Porsche engineers wouldn't design a hardtop that couldn't be used for longer durations? (I live in Boston...6 months of hardtop is an unfortunate fact of life).

Any ideas/comments/advice would be greatly appecieated. Thanks in advance.

Damon
Old 04-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I've discovered a couple of small nicks when taking off and putting on the hardtop,--but nothing like that. Definitely take it to the dealer. That is not anything near normal. There is adequate cushioning in there to prevent that. Keep a close eye on the front area where it latches to the car,--that guide is rough and can chew up leather rather quickly.

Last edited by Edgy01; 04-02-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Severe 997 Hardtop Chafing Paint Damage!