Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patience Is A Virtue...not

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007 | 02:16 AM

Default Patience Is A Virtue...not

Car just about hit 1900 miles today and I've been following the break-in guidelines pretty religiously and was waiting for 2000 miles to gradually start bringing the revs up to redline over the next month or so.

So I'm on my way down US-1 to visit my Father and as I'm pulling away from a light in a rather spirited manner (nothing too strong) next thing I know a yellow C6 Corvette coupe pulls up along side and wants to go, since I was still in second and about 4200 rpms (I was still watching the +/-4200rpm break-in stuff) I hear this guy's rev jump as he downshifted and something just made me say ***-it! so I just stomped on it and I was @ about 7000 rpm (so much for the 4200 break-in) before i shifted to third, I was amazed that I pulled on this guy by about a half car length and maintained it until he backed off. I really don't if he was really trying as hard as he could but it sure seemed like it. Once I slowed down and was cruising about 50mph next thing I know some guy on a BMW motorcycle (wasn't able to notice the model) pulls along side and he wants to go too, so without hesitation I downshifted again and we both took off and I was able to pull on this guy as well and we both didn't lay off until we were going just over 100mph (US-1 is a 45 mph limit and I was very fortunate Mr. J Law was not around).

So much for the 2000 mile stuff ...well at least I got close. I've had a few cars wanting to play since I bought this car and have restrained myself everytime but today something snapped. I am still feeling the speed of the 997S is lacking compared to my E55 (maybe it's just the lack of torque) but today may have made up quite a bit of ground...who the hell know's
Old 03-29-2007 | 02:20 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Sounds like fun! Yah i think the current Vettes non-Z are comparable in performance to the S.

Last time I was at Thunderhill there was a guy with a C-06 who drove like a grandma... some of those vette guys are more paranoid than us to light it up! lol
Old 03-29-2007 | 07:45 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
... some of those vette guys are more paranoid than us to light it up! lol
Or they're afraid if they flog their automatic Vette too hard, their hairpiece and gold chains might fly out along with the roof...

(Just playing, Vette guys - I'd love to have a C6 Z06)
Old 03-29-2007 | 10:49 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You should read the article in April Excellence on break-in.

Here's a link to the thread Ron started on this.

Break In

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-29-2007 | 10:56 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Or they're afraid if they flog their automatic Vette too hard, their hairpiece and gold chains might fly out along with the roof...

(Just playing, Vette guys - I'd love to have a C6 Z06)

I use plugs.

j/k

Quick Reply: Patience Is A Virtue...not