Sponsored by:

I don't miss my M5 ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I don't miss my M5 ....

I've had my 997 for less than a week. I have more than 1200 miles on the clock. Yes, nearly 600 of those miles came from driving back from Cleveland. And, I only work like 7 miles from home.

I told Kris I had a haircut appointment Montag. The place is like 10 miles from here (we live in the sticks) .... but, when I returned, I noticed I had another 114 miles on the car. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ..... !!

Anyway .... I don't miss my M5 one little bit. Well, maybe a "little bit". I can't put groceries in the back of the P-car.

But, I'll tell you this .... I was very concerned that I'd miss my BMW M-car. I do not. I do not.

I love this car, folks ! It's the bomb !

I'll try to get some photogs of this beast this weekend. It's gonna rain.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Bagger, did you take Rte. 6 home? I'll be making that trip soon (I hope).
Old 03-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Chris ....

Well, I'd opened up my hand pretty badly a couple days prior to picking up the car and could not work for a week. And, we'd programmed the nav for my home in CT. When I got up on Friday, the weather was crap. Lotza rain .... and it was dark. The car, altho familiar, was unfamiliar to me .... if you can understand what I'm talking about.

I had the 'paper map' with the route set .... mostly I-80, but tho't about rt 6, too. I have rt 6 on my Garmin on my motorcycle. A friend and I tho't about doing this round home from a Niagara trip last summer. But, it rained lika bastad, so we went to NH.l

Anyway ... my hand was killing me and I wanted to get home. But, the stupid nav took me from Cleveland to Ct via I-90 ! Now, this was not the longest way home, and it was a different look for sure. Cops everywhere. But, by the time I found that I was approaching I-90, I said "screw it" and boogied.

The motorcycle trip is still on. Perhaps this year, eh. Rt 6 is a nice ride, but I'd wanna do it with Kris. Otherwise, I'm just enjoying it by myowndamnself.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 AM

Was your M5 the current version?

Last edited by 500; 03-28-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two E39 M5s. I regretted selling the first one and ended up buying another for 2/3 of what I sold the first one for. I feel like I would regret selling this one as well. Right now I'm considering keeping the M5 (2001) and leasing a 2007 Carrera. I feel like while it would help financially to sell the M5, I will be giving up a lot of the good parts of that car in exchange. So if I do it, the M5 would stay for the time being until I had a chance to decide if it's worth keeping despite the 997.

Any members have an E39 M5 and a 997 want to comment?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm reading this thread with great interest as I contemplate the future of my E60 M5. I've only had it for 6 months, but I get car ADHD real fast and with so many 997 varients now...I'm like a shark circling the Porsche dealer. Although the M5 is incredible, I'm using the dreaded 'red cog of death' as my excuse to sell it.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I've considered selling my 3-series and upgrading to the M5.... but my question is why?

For the M5 owners how often do you drive with 3 or 4 passengers? How often do you lug around half dozen bags of groceries, and would you use this car to do it? Just don't get it.

Whats the attraction of going fast in a sedan?

My sarcasm aside I'd really like to know, and yes I do think it's a very nice car.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Kurt, I'm surprised you're questioning the M5. It's a midsized sedan so it still has really good moves. Much worse are the Mercedes S-class, SUV and minivan vehicles with the 500 to 650hp AMG motors and they all weigh north of 5000 pounds, IIRC.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:47 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
Kurt, I'm surprised you're questioning the M5. It's a midsized sedan so it still has really good moves. Much worse are the Mercedes S-class, SUV and minivan vehicles with the 500 to 650hp AMG motors and they all weigh north of 5000 pounds, IIRC.
I could understand if this is your main car, but...

My point is you are driving solo 80% - assuming in general, why do you need such a big heavy car? I think you get more with less in the 997 and a lot more feedback and sound.

I'd say get a beater (beater in relative terms of course) for the dirty work and have a nice little sports car that can carve the corners for the rest!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.. Ill chime in here.. I had a E39 M5 slightly modded and it totally made my day.. I drove that beast daily and druing winter..I had people stop me, asking to take pics in it.. thumbs up on the highway.. its was fast, loud and amazing... before i sold it.. VANOS/FLYWHEEL/CLUTCH/ABS Sensors/Rotors.. shall I continue ?.. all to say that this beast cost me a fortune.. but.. it has still been the best car I ever owned and loved it as it put a smile on my face at the turn of the key..
I sold it for a song(and a little dance) and am picking up my 997 S this weekend... I know I needed a car to replace and or exceed.. Im hoping the 997 will do this.. at the end of the day, I realized, its not only how the car looks or how you look in it.. its the therapy it provides you.. agree ?

I do miss the M, respectfully to new owners, Im not sure Im a E60 kinda guy, its a wonderful car as I did drive one.. however.. just was too perfect of a car and its a preference in taste but I prefer the E39 body.. if I marry some rich chick.. I hope to have another M sitting beside my P-Car

So now Im focused on the 997 .. and I am virtually getting that fun feeling in my gut from the pics the dealer sent me (AVATAR) .. and at the end of the day.. that is the most important !!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

500 ...

No, my M5 was an E39 (2003) version that I leased after having a 2003 M3 for 6 months (too small for me, but a great car).

I do have to say that the M5 was the very best car I've ever had. It was pretty much trouble free, just niggly stupid deals like "service engine" light coming on every month for a week, oil usage that I tho't was excessive (no leaks), and a little roll in the corners ... but, it' was a nearly 2 ton car. I drove it every day, thru one winter with Dunlop M3 tires and a set of winter wheels, it was stealthy fast, looked terrific, and loved the car. I considered buying it. I didn't have but 20K on the car .... work is only 7 miles from home. So, mostly I used it as the weekend brunch runner with the SO.

I considered getting an e60 M5, too. Went to a couple North East meets, watched the threads online, and even drove a new one at a dealers. But, the e60 did not spin my wheels the way a 6 speed P-car does. I liked my e39 much better on all respects, too.

I wondered IF I would regret not keeping the M5 when I ordered a C4S last December. And, the answer is ............ NOPE ! I don't miss the M5 in the least. The new P-car puts an even larger smile on my face than the M5 did.

I'm very happy I have it. It's my daily driver, too. And, one can drive this car everyday ... it's fully capable of town driving or suburban running as well as Super Slab blasting.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

M5 is a great car in a different way than the 997. Anyone considering both should give some thought to the new M3.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

E39 M5 was great. Had over 100,000 on the ticker when I sold it. Had some weak systems (clutch, brakes at the track, GPS system was horribly slow), and I had over $10k of "abnormal" repairs after warranty. (drivers window bolts came loose scratching glass, AC/Heater thermostat failure, computer control panel failures---try locking your car or changing your radio station without those). Could it be a time bomb????

However....it was a wonderful road car! Great interior appointments! Supremely comfortable and roadable.

997? Whole different ball game and worth every penny! Now I have an M3 (97) for the track and the P-car for my "driver's jones"! Life is good!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
500 ...

No, my M5 was an E39 (2003) version that I leased after having a 2003 M3 for 6 months (too small for me, but a great car).

I do have to say that the M5 was the very best car I've ever had. It was pretty much trouble free, just niggly stupid deals like "service engine" light coming on every month for a week, oil usage that I tho't was excessive (no leaks), and a little roll in the corners ... but, it' was a nearly 2 ton car. I drove it every day, thru one winter with Dunlop M3 tires and a set of winter wheels, it was stealthy fast, looked terrific, and loved the car. I considered buying it. I didn't have but 20K on the car .... work is only 7 miles from home. So, mostly I used it as the weekend brunch runner with the SO.

I considered getting an e60 M5, too. Went to a couple North East meets, watched the threads online, and even drove a new one at a dealers. But, the e60 did not spin my wheels the way a 6 speed P-car does. I liked my e39 much better on all respects, too.

I wondered IF I would regret not keeping the M5 when I ordered a C4S last December. And, the answer is ............ NOPE ! I don't miss the M5 in the least. The new P-car puts an even larger smile on my face than the M5 did.

I'm very happy I have it. It's my daily driver, too. And, one can drive this car everyday ... it's fully capable of town driving or suburban running as well as Super Slab blasting.

Ever test the E60 M5?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E39 is the last of the classic BMW's, in my view, kind of like the 993. Current BMW's are just too ugly for my taste. Even the new M3 looks like it came from the 1985 Toyota design studios.

Quick Reply: I don't miss my M5 ....