Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European Delivery route

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

Great information! My head is swimming. I am a little nervous about break-ins and damage but I think it's worth it. Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the important things have been covered, so I will extend a few tips-water & toilet paper. If you are travelling all over, the water quality will differ a lot. Not third-worldish but some people might not "adjust" well. Evian is cheap & plentiful so load up. Germany & some of her neighbours use recycled paper (sand paper) for a lot of toilet paper. They are very environmentally aware. We did ED in 2005 for our BMW and had a blast. As long as you use the same common sense there as you do here, you will be fine. The German autobhans have a speed limit of 130kmh (~80mph) with some unlimited speed runs. I found enough to get upto 155 for a bit. Be careful to keep your eyes on the road as the view is breathtaking. Plan ahead and take your time-enjoy the car, the roads, the views, & the company. It may be a good idea to take a phone. My wife's T-mobile worked great with their global roaming plan. Other unlocked GSM phones can be used with a sim card that you can get at any airport. They only places I would not go with a new car would be Southern France and the former Eastern block. You do realize that all the advise we are giving you will need to be repaid with lots and lots of photos and a detaield write-up.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 AM
tkids
Pro

I was amazed at how much luck I had with garages. Probably about 75% of the time! Yes, never leave anything inside the car that can be seen, not even at a lunch stop. I am not sure, but maybe the understated color of Seal Grey helped hide it too! Always ask about garages! I asked at a couple of B&Bs, they looked out the window at the Pcar, before I knew it they were pulling their car out and I was pulling my car in the garage!! Try not to let it consume you too much!!!

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Did nearly as well CJ!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:18 PM
tkids
Pro

Dan, that is hilarious! You and I must have some of the same sickness...... taking pictures of our cars parked!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkids
Dan, that is hilarious! You and I must have some of the same sickness...... taking pictures of our cars parked!!!

No. It's been documented as a known ailment of all Porsche drivers. There is never a chance of recovery.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I know it's still a perceived onehundredmilliontrilliongodzillion light-years away, but I have started planning my European delivery road trip and thought I'd run it by the 997 forum for some early feedback and suggestions.

I had the following criteria in mind when playing around with distances and destinations.

(1) I have been to most of these places before (there's little in Western Europe I don't know), so it's supposed to be more of a driving experience than a typical tourist experience; in other words, I do intend to drive a lot and enjoy the landscape while doing so, rather than getting out of the car to go sightseeing or shopping. That being said, I would like for my travel buddy Clare to see as much of Europe as possible.
(2) If possible, I wish to avoid large cities (except for Barcelona) and drive off-highway as often as possible (except for the Autobahn and on the long leg to Spain).
(3) I have good weather in Louisiana all year round (except right now, thanks to Gustav), so weather is not an issue, even though I'm getting a cab.
(4) I want some serious mountains!
(5) Besides mountains, I would prefer some other landscapes that I cannot easily find in the United States (e.g., Bretagne, Eire).
(6) I wish to return to Spain and Ireland (I lived there for over a year each).
(7) I wish to visit old friends in Karlsruhe and Carlow.
(8) The ferry from Roscoff to Cork only sails on Fridays.

So, after days of planning and moving locations around and checking ferry schedules, I've got a plan! Below you can see how it is mapped out; please note that the driving time estimates are at the high end. I will be in Germany for professional reasons and pick up the pcar on May 19 already, even though the trip itself does not start until May 30. Until then, I will be in Hamburg only.

If you have ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

UPDATE: Cancelled for now (click here for link to relevant post)
Attached Images   

Last edited by Soulteacher; 12-20-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great thread guys - love the pics and info!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Bring a lot of cash with you. And keep a credit card out in the slot above the stick. You'll need it for toll roads in France. (Germany's roads are the best, and toll free). Watch the speeds in Switzerland. They are always watching for German's screaming through their area. Buy the autobahn passes for the countries you pass through, e.g., Austria and Switzerland; otherwise they might get you and hit you up for a larger fee. When in France and near La Rochelle, take the bridge to Île de Ré,--and drop into the Cafe du Commerce in Ars en Ré. Say hello to Pierre for me. If a member of PCA,--go reread my article in Feb 08 on European Delivery: http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...roDelivery.pdf

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-02-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: European Delivery route