Sponsored by:

Water Spots!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Spots!

I detailed the P-car about two weeks ago with a final wax of Griots. Additionally, use the Maguire quick detailer.

Well, it rained on the car for about 4 minutes and the sun came out immediately after. Went out to lunch and found water spots ALL over the car… is their anything on the market (Glaze, sealant or any car product that will minimize water spots from occurring during the above conditions or am I SOL?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're SOL. But your Meguiar's QD should take care of the water spots if you don't let them sit there too long.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Check out Griot's they sell a water filter that works, no water spots
Old 03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

S**T!
Will race home to clean her!
All that work gone in four mikes.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Check out Griot's they sell a water filter that works, no water spots
What does he do with it, put in on the cloud before it rains?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rain generally doesn't contain the harsh minerals that hard water is known for that cause the dreaded water spots, unless it's acid rain from pollution, and then you have a real problem.

If it's plain rain that falls mainly on your car (btw Vasquez, you're not from Spain are you? but I digress) and you're seeing spots, then those spots are probably the result of dust that was collected by the rain drops as the wind blew and has now remained as a residue after the drops evaporated.

You should be able to just wash them away then.

If the spots are from the sprinklers, you're hosed, as these spots are now etchings on your paint from the harsh minerals in the hard water. To get these out consult autopia.org.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most water spots caused by lime and calcium are easily removed with vinigar and water.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

You can just spray your down before you put it away, no water spots drys clean.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:01 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
Rain generally doesn't contain the harsh minerals that hard water is known for that cause the dreaded water spots, unless it's acid rain from pollution, and then you have a real problem.

If it's plain rain that falls mainly on your car (btw Vasquez, you're not from Spain are you? but I digress) and you're seeing spots, then those spots are probably the result of dust that was collected by the rain drops as the wind blew and has now remained as a residue after the drops evaporated.

You should be able to just wash them away then.

If the spots are from the sprinklers, you're hosed, as these spots are now etchings on your paint from the harsh minerals in the hard water. To get these out consult autopia.org.
Thanks Ben... just rain water from a cloud, but boy does it look horrible!

I already warned the wifey... have my shorts ready, cuz I'm coming home on a mission... suds and buz!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Having spent several years in the Orlando area, I know how intense the sun is and the havoc it can wreak on your finish. If a simple washing doesn't remove the spots you may have to resort to a cleaner or even some polish of some sort to remove them. I'd suggest something very mild to start with should the washing not take care of them. Perhaps Klasse, or P21S paint cleaner.

HTH
Old 03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by uzj100
Having spent several years in the Orlando area, I know how intense the sun is and the havoc it can wreak on your finish. If a simple washing doesn't remove the spots you may have to resort to a cleaner or even some polish of some sort to remove them. I'd suggest something very mild to start with should the washing not take care of them. Perhaps Klasse, or P21S paint cleaner.

HTH
I had plan to buzz Tampa, but I'll just take a quick detour to the house and clean the P-car before heading...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually another trick that works especially if the "spots" are not seriously heavy is the old clay bar, which is generally used to remove the junk on the paint before sealing/waxing, and it's nonabrasive and easy to do

Quick Reply: Water Spots!