Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

downshifting question (heel-toe):

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007 | 01:19 AM
CharlieJr
Burning Brakes

Default downshifting question (heel-toe):

This is a question from a non-racer (though one who wants to learn).

Do you use heel-toe downshifting off the track, or is this really just a track technique?

I guess I'm asking if mastering heel-toe significantly enhances your every day enjoyment, or performance, when driving your car around town.

Any other track techniques that really pay-off during daily driving?
Old 03-21-2007 | 01:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I always heel-n-toe when I downshift. It's the way I originally learned (laws if primacy), and I've never stopped. I think it's good practice for the track, and benefical to your tranny...

Other track related techniques that I practice are trying to hit the perfect late apex on every turn, keeping my hands on the wheel at 10/2 and including during turns, and using my mirrors to raise my awareness of the cars around me. Hell in my mind I'm always racing, even in stop-n-go traffic....
Old 03-21-2007 | 01:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You don't really need to -- just blip the throttle a little to get the rpms up to match the tranny speed.
Old 03-21-2007 | 08:16 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I spend a good deal of time on the track and never use the technique on the street. Heel / Toe has a purpose and that purpose for me (on the tracks I frequent) is threshold braking right to the point of ABS and rocking over to blip the throttle to avoid upsetting the car as the new gear engages. This while on the edge entering a turn. There are times when heel-toe is not needed for downshifting - just a little blip to match revs.

I cannot imagine a situation where you would use this on the street. I know many people say "I do it on the street for practice" and that just doesn't make sense for me because any heel-toe you would do on the street bears little if no resemblance to heel-toe you'd use on the track. Also, any street technique you might develop may actually hinder doing it correctly at track speeds. For example, let's say you "practice" for months on the street and are using 50% of your brakes (if that) and your pedals are in a certain position. Then you get on the track and are reaching the end of the main straight and are using 99% of the brakes and your pedal position is much different - now your brain has to deal with having things not lined up properly.

For me heel-toe on the track quickly became second nature - an automatic reaction to hard braking. Do I "blip" on the street - sure - when it makes sense to do so. I suppose it's all about the best driving / shifting / braking techniques for the moment, whether track or street.

Last edited by RonCT; 03-21-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2007 | 08:37 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I almost never heel and toe on the street simply because with the pedals properly set up, I need to brake hard to have my foot in the right position to blip the gas with the side of my foot. I don't brake that hard, except on the track.

Best,
Old 03-21-2007 | 09:03 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Agree with dan - just blip the throttle (thats hard enought to perfect). Ross
Old 03-21-2007 | 09:10 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I missed the 2nd question about track techniques for the street. I can't really come up with any other than the general improvement of skill sets that pay off dividends on the street. Over the years I am convinced that I've avoided a few accidents due to the training I've received on the track. Improved reaction times, decisive action, etc. Here's an example... Somebody drives out of a store driveway and the first reaction might be to brake and swerve to the left, which unfortunately is in the path of the car. If you put dashed lines on the projected paths of the cars, they are going to crash. On the other hand, if you brake and swerve right to go around the back of that car, no accident. That might be second nature to most, but it's the type of skill you can refine on the track - the anticipation - almost future-vision. Another one that's great is "mirrors" and tracking targets. At all times on the street I'm fully aware of who is where and what their relative speed is to me. It certainly helps keep me safe and in "control" vs. drivers who are not as in-tune that decide to make a lane change and then have to start looking around to see where everyone is.
Old 03-22-2007 | 01:33 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

If you're pedals are set up correctly to match height, hell-n-toe becomes a natural extension of your driving requiring little if any effort. The difference in brake pedal effort is minimal...
Old 03-22-2007 | 01:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I almost never heel and toe on the street simply because with the pedals properly set up, I need to brake hard to have my foot in the right position to blip the gas with the side of my foot. I don't brake that hard, except on the track.

Best,
Bob with all due respect...... The difference between hitting your ABS and slowing the car down is a minimal distance in pedal travel. You should be able to blip the throttle with your foot on the brakes from any position, and simultaneously control the amount of pressure on your brakes....
Old 03-22-2007 | 02:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Heel and Toe down shifting is really hard to do under light street braking. The brake pedal is not pressed far enogh in to match the level of the accellerator. It is also unneccessary for driving around town. When I use to heel and toe I actually did more of a roll off the ball of my foot from brak to throttle pedal. My foot is way to big to actually turn inward and use the actual heel and toe of my foot.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:08 PM
mdonline
Instructor

can you heel-toe with the stock gas pedal? My foot is not big enough to reach the gas pedal. Anyone knows where I can get a larger gas pedal.

BTW, I don't know how to heel-toe. What is the proper sequence?

Brake, clutch in, blip, shift, clutch out....is that the right sequence.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdonline
can you heel-toe with the stock gas pedal? My foot is not big enough to reach the gas pedal. Anyone knows where I can get a larger gas pedal.

BTW, I don't know how to heel-toe. What is the proper sequence?

Brake, clutch in, blip, shift, clutch out....is that the right sequence.
What size show do you wear? The brake and throttle are really close together. Go to youtube and search heel and toe. There are a bunch of video on how to do this.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
What size show do you wear? The brake and throttle are really close together. Go to youtube and search heel and toe. There are a bunch of video on how to do this.
You beat me to it,....here is a nice video demo of the more common type of heel-toe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:26 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
size 10. Can I do heel-toe without buying new pedal. I don't want to spend the money. May be I just need to practice.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:41 PM
stsanford
Advanced

I'm able to Heel-Toe myself, I've got quite small feet. size 7 US.

I keep the ball of my foot on the Brake pedal and pivot my heel over to the bottom portion of the gas pedal.

I do it almost all the time when I'm spiritedly driving. I wouldn't say that it makes it more difficult on the track, I believe in muscle memory, and it becomes second nature. And as far as adjustment, I feel the pedals are setup for track use and it takes MORE effort to heel-toe on the street due to the difference in pedal height. A quick story to highlight this: When I got my first Porsche, a Boxster, I thought the pedals were off until I got on the track, then I realized they are PERFECT for track work.

Learn the technique, it's a dying art.

Quick Reply: downshifting question (heel-toe):