Sponsored by:

Interesting comment May 07 Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 AM
rfedele
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting comment May 07 Excellence

You folks may recall I traded my 05 C2S for an 07 C2. Some questioned why the downgrade. I prefer the car without PASM & 19s.

The interesting comment in Excellence is in the article on the F77 997. "(B)est 997s (note - not 997S) we've driven on the Loop...bum-basic 997, evo's supercharged 997, and the new GT3."

Since they say "bum-basic" they must me no PASM and 18s.

They also, again as in the April 07 issue, note the power delivery of the 3.6 vs. the 3.8. They go on to recount their experience from Feb 07 issue when they drove a 997S and 997S w/X51 back to back and note they couldn't feel the extra 26HP (although side by side the X51 pulled away bit by bit).

This too has been my experience, not missing the power difference between the 3.6 & 3.8.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's not exactly what they said about the X-51 engine - but to each their own...
Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Also notice it says "on the Loop." Club Coupe, on that day and on those roads far from here (around Cleveland, Georgia), the CC proved itself (and remains) perhaps the most compelling 997 I have driven, ranking the CC against the new GT3 and F77 without driving them back to back would be tough (!).

But I sure do dig the basic six-speed coupe, too. I just wish it didn't have SUV ride height.

Then you get into the weight thing. Basic 997 coupe is pretty darn nice (and sweet) with the 3.6, but I have to say that the basic cabrio's heft had me *just* starting to wish for a little more torque....

pete
Old 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by JFScheck
That's not exactly what they said about the X-51 engine - but to each their own...
I don't have the article in front of me but I'm fairly ceratin they say they didn't notice the power increase of the X51 until they drove them next to one another and the thing they liked about the X51 was the power delivery and willingness to rev that the normal 3.8 lacked.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 PM
rfedele
Racer

excmag - "I just wish it didn't have SUV ride height."

I agree. The look is better w/19s vs 18s. When I had the C2S I was rubbing the underside in driveways almost daily. The problem is a bit better with the 18s but not cured so I wouldn't consider lowering, even though it would lokk better.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

I just wish Porsche could give us stance that is as good as BMW and Audi (and now M-B!) have been providing for years on their "sportline" and sport package cars.

A Porsche should sit at least as well at these sedans (but then, what do I know?), and the need for aftermarket lowering should be left to those who just have to have the "slammed look."

Clearance, on the other hand, is a very real issue. Maybe an option for extra ride height or less ride height is the way to go (U.S. Sport Suspension as an option, anyone?).

Or, you could just design sports cars without so much front overhang...

pete
Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
rfedele
Racer

I've heard non-US rennlisters say ride height/clearance is not an issue elsewhere in the world.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rfedele
I've heard non-US rennlisters say ride height/clearance is not an issue elsewhere in the world.

that's because they build roads better overseas. In America it appears at times that there is no rhyme nor reason to why they put a massive dip in a road, particularly at intersections.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
AShearer
Instructor

I'm having the same problem with my drive apron Argh!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the article in front of me but I'm fairly ceratin they say they didn't notice the power increase of the X51 until they drove them next to one another and the thing they liked about the X51 was the power delivery and willingness to rev that the normal 3.8 lacked.
Here's what the article said, exactly:

"But will we be able to feel the gains out on the road? Our experience of driving a 997S and 997S X51 back to back for our February 2006 issue tells us the answer is "no". We couldn't feel X51's extra 26 hp - a seven percent gain in a 3,200+ pound car - but X51's extra speed was confirmed when it slowly but surely drew away from the normal 997S, gear after gear. So X51's added speed was real but hard to discern as a driver and thus hard to justify at its considerable price.

We loved X51 for another reason, however: it transformed the character of the 997S's flat six. Drive a base 997 3.6 and then a 3.8S and the latter will feel torque rich down low but short of breath up top.

Using a new airbox, intake manifold, cylinder heads, cams, exhaust system, and ECU, X51 turns the 3.8S into another motor - one that's hungry for revs. The top-end transformation convinced us that X51 will be well worth its lofty price tag for those who appreciate the way an engine makes its power as much as what it makes."

MC
Old 03-18-2007, 03:25 PM
rfedele
Racer

yes, thanks. they seem to like the power delivery of the 3.6 and the x51 over the 3.8.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Dro
Instructor

yes, thanks. they seem to like the power delivery of the 3.6 and the x51 over the 3.8.
I dont understand how you are coming to that conclusion? All they say is the 3.8 "is short of breath up top". They dont mention anwhere that they prefer the power delivery of 3.6 over the 3.8.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Dro
I dont understand how you are coming to that conclusion? All they say is the 3.8 "is short of breath up top". They dont mention anwhere that they prefer the power delivery of 3.6 over the 3.8.
Have you read the two articles?

4-07 Excellence on the C2 cab 997 "noticeably keener through the revs than the .. 997S. To get a 997S that revs as cleanly as the base 997 does, you have to order ... X51" Article goes on to point out the better steering and chassis response of the 997 vs the 997S.

5-07 Excellence on the F77 - points to the GT3 997 and the "bum-basic" 997 as their favorites on the Loop (I'm excluding non-factory models they mention).

I don't want to be argumentative but how else can you read the articles? They due mention the torque is better on the 997S but that seems too obvious to discuss here. I'm only pointing out their subjective opinions because discussing cold hard facts is boring. I know the S has more hp & torque, we all do. You don't need to read that.

Your reply says, "[t]hey dont mention anwhere that they prefer the power delivery of 3.6 over the 3.8" I disagree, "[i]f you appreciate the way a flat six winds out as much as what it puts out, then the base Carrera is worth careful consideration." What do you think they mean if not power delivery.

My apologies - my original post did not mention the April article and should have. If you read both I think you'll see where I'm coming from on the power delivery comments.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 PM
songhoh
Advanced

Having driven both myself, I prefer the base model over the S as well. That's my preference and not everyones. The smaller engine and tyres make a difference in the WAY these cars drive. Guys, these cars are all fast, even in base form. All the Porsche models are. To the original poster: your not alone in your thought path. Other's have noticed this same subtle advantage to the smaller engined Porsches. Ever driven an early 911S? Look at the interest in these cars.
Regards

JLC
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Note on ride height:

Many times manufacturers have to comply with US regs regarding the heights of bumpers, lights, etc. and this in turn affects the overall ride height to gain compliance. I am not saying this is the case with Porsche, but I wouldn't be surprised. BMW & Merc are selling sedans, so the light/bumper placement is naturally higher than it would be on a sports car like the 911/Cayman.

Quick Reply: Interesting comment May 07 Excellence