Sponsored by:

Quick easy XM radio pseudo-install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Quick easy XM radio pseudo-install

Just a little tip for those who are desperate for XM radio, but doesn't want to pay big bucks to replace the whole radio unit. I found a quick easy way to install the Delphi SkyFi2 XM radio for your 997 (see pics below). The unit attaches to one of the vents pretty well (doesn't rattle) if you use the kickstand. I use the power source from the passenger's side and run the wire behind the dash seams. The antenna is magnetic and sits somewhat inconspicuously on top. The antenna wire is tucked under the rubber edge. Looks hard wired if you do it right... The FM signal quality can be variable, so you have to do a little trial and error. I find 107.3 works best where I live. I've pretty much stopped listening to anything else since I got XM.

Jimmy

p.s. I think now there's a SkyFi3 out, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Attached Images    
Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I sell these :P
The skyfi3 is a big step up, but the Pioneer inno is the way to go.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Is this FM Modulated?
How is the sound?

Last edited by ELUSIVE; 03-10-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
cobra06
Pro

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Can the inno interface with the Dennison unit?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Why the Pioneer Inno?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
How is the sound?
I'm not really an audio-tech-phile, but once I found the right FM frequency, it was CD quality (much better than regular FM radio). I've tried rock, jazz, hip-hop (with the deep bass), classical, etc. and they all sound great.

Only problem is that you need to be under mostly clear skies (not deep in the mountains, e.g.). Nevertheless, I haven't had many problems with weak signals, even within Downtown San Francisco...

Jimmy
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
cobra06
Pro

Why the Pioneer Inno?
The Inno is also a MP3 player & XM, looks like an Ipod. From what I remember you can do direct , cassette (remember them?)and FM modulation to interface.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think I would want to look at that.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quality of the sound depends on how dense the station coverage for radio is. In Atlanta, there is a radio station on just about every available frequency. If you find something somewhat clear, like 88.3, you drive 20 miles and you have interference from another station. It's really frustrating. If you are in the backwoods of Alabama, it works great. Funny - don't see many 911s out there. We also have a $20,000 Honda Element - it has satellite radio as well as an auxiliary line in for an iPod. Porsche is really behind the curve - no Bluetooth, no Satellite Radio.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Why the Pioneer Inno?
Originally Posted by cobra06
The Inno is also a MP3 player & XM, looks like an Ipod. From what I remember you can do direct , cassette (remember them?)and FM modulation to interface.
Yep.

Additionally, because with the cost of the skyfi3 being $299.99 retail canadian, and the inno being fully 100% portable (though only 5 hours of battery life) and costing $399.99 regular price (plus another $100 for the car kit) it just is a bit of a better package. Personally though I like the portability factor. I think the Skyfi3 is just a little overpriced for what it is, frankly. New models will be coming out in the next few months however.

Personally living in Canada I like the reception quality of XM better right now, and I think that the products they sell, in terms of the actual hardware, have more features and are built a little bit better, as well as being more aesthetically pleasing and offering better reception (again not so much an issue for you guys down south closer to the equator the XM satellites orbit) - additionally with Sirius units they have a much broader range of units to choose from.

Having said all that, soon it won't be as much as an issue.

And not sure if the inno will interface with the dennison - you can always get FM modulator boosters however.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RADManZulu
The quality of the sound depends on how dense the station coverage for radio is. In Atlanta, there is a radio station on just about every available frequency. If you find something somewhat clear, like 88.3, you drive 20 miles and you have interference from another station. It's really frustrating. If you are in the backwoods of Alabama, it works great. Funny - don't see many 911s out there. We also have a $20,000 Honda Element - it has satellite radio as well as an auxiliary line in for an iPod. Porsche is really behind the curve - no Bluetooth, no Satellite Radio.
Sounds like you need to have it hardwired. Not too costly and any local place can do it for you.

Or alternatively get an FM modulator booster.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by RADManZulu
I suppose that may be true in some places, but I have driven through some dense urban areas (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose) without any interference, even in places where the "natural" 107.3 broadcast is strong. Personally, I'm quite happy with the FM signal. In my other car, however, I use the tape adapter.

Jimmy
Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is just like that only the small one that fits in the little hole under the radio, so it isn't blocking the AC.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another Idea for XM

Here is what I have done or am about to complete.

Using a Arkon SR088-TS-1 Mount, mounted to the passenger Left side Seat bolt I will be using a Roady XL hooked into a Dension unit. I plan to velcro or two sided tape the Antenna to the cowl cover between the Wiper blades.

The Seat bolt is a Torx E12 bolt so you may have to go to Sears or an Auto parts store and buy this socket. The Plastic end on the Seat Rail is removed and stays off. This just requires a screw driver to pry up the tab and it slides off.

When it is complete I will take some pictures and try to post.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by dndodd
Here is what I have done or am about to complete.

Using a Arkon SR088-TS-1 Mount, mounted to the passenger Left side Seat bolt I will be using a Roady XL hooked into a Dension unit. I plan to velcro or two sided tape the Antenna to the cowl cover between the Wiper blades.

The Seat bolt is a Torx E12 bolt so you may have to go to Sears or an Auto parts store and buy this socket. The Plastic end on the Seat Rail is removed and stays off. This just requires a screw driver to pry up the tab and it slides off.

When it is complete I will take some pictures and try to post.
Sounds great. Look forward to the pics.

Quick Reply: Quick easy XM radio pseudo-install