Sponsored by:

New 07 C2 - Atlas/Sand

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
rfedele
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So I've got to ask...why did you go from a 2005 C2S to a 2007 C2?
Interesting story. Purchased the 997 S used. Was not a member of this forum prior to purchase and didn't know to ask for DME report. When I had some serious mechanical trouble within weeks of pick-up (clutch and trans had to be replaced), I started to wonder about abuse it may have suffered by prior owner (got it with 13K miles).

I requested a DME report and the car had been beat on. Type 1 & 2 overrevs were in the thousands and type 3 & 4 were in the hundreds. When I brought this to the dealers attention they said "how can we make you happy". They basically gave me back my money on the 997S and sold me a new C2 with a very solid discount (9%).

The price diff was negligible which was a factor in the decision making process, but also the options on the 997S which accounted for the high price (original MSRP $96000) were things I learned I really didn't want or need. Those being nav, PASM, 19s, short shift. It also had PSE which I miss, but from the recent thread on problems with PSE I'm glad I don't have it now. The only options on the C2 are heated seats, crests in headrest and bi-xenon.

So far I haven't missed the power diff but I am still in the 2K break-in period. The ride is better without the PASM/19s vs. the 18s.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Keep us posted on your opinions once the car is broken in. Most here believe the 'S' is a no brainer, however there is some press that praises the non-PASM suspension and power delivery of the 325hp motor.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

What are Type 1,2,3&4 over revs? Im guessing downshifting versus flooring it?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
rfedele
Racer

Keep us posted on your opinions once the car is broken in. Most here believe the 'S' is a no brainer, however there is some press that praises the non-PASM suspension and power delivery of the 325hp motor.
I can already tell you I prefer the 18s vs. 19s & PASM. Don't know what PASM with 18s would be like, mayber even better.

The 3.6 vs. 3.8 is an interesting item. The torque is only 16ft/lbs less and peaks a few hundred RPM lower so I suspect its not going to be noticeable but we'll see. Recent article in Excellence praises the power delivery of the 3.6. saying, "It's noticeably keener through the revs" than the 3.8.

Same article seems to prefer the 18s w/out PASM saying there are several dynamic advantages: more lucidity in handling, more feel, chassis response better, less road noise, & more comfort. Only negative they note is appearance better with 19s.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by cleanme
What are Type 1,2,3&4 over revs? Im guessing downshifting versus flooring it?
1& 2 are not a big deal, like hitting the rev limiter, but 4s are upto 1000RPM over red line (i.e. missed downshift).Rumor is PCNA will void warranty based on DME reports
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would be interesting for the base car in US would be a PSS-9 overcoil setup. This would lower the car, firm it a little while retaining comfort. You could also add a set of lightweight 18" wheels, and if you really had the cash PCCB's. I wonder what the cost difference would be against a standard S with PASM and 19's.

The one thing Europe gets that we can't is the lsd that comes with the -20mm setup.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the Excellence article is one; there was also a good write-up in a UK Porsche mag recently praising a minimally spec'd 3.6 with the ROW -20mm sport suspension/mechanical LSD option and PCCB (and no sunroof). Basically the lightest and 'purest' (least computer control) 997 variation available (and that includes the GT3/RS on both counts). Wish we could get one like that here...thow a set of Dymag 18" wheels and GT3 buckets in it, and you'd be looking at a great 29XX lb. street/track car.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

LeChef, I like the cut of your jib.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
rfedele
Racer

Yeah, the Excellence article is one; there was also a good write-up in a UK Porsche mag recently praising a minimally spec'd 3.6 with the ROW -20mm sport suspension/mechanical LSD option and PCCB (and no sunroof). Basically the lightest and 'purest' (least computer control) 997 variation available (and that includes the GT3/RS on both counts). Wish we could get one like that here...thow a set of Dymag 18" wheels and GT3 buckets in it, and you'd be looking at a great 29XX lb. street/track car.
someone here once wrote "no options = more porscheness". So far I agree, but had to have the heated seats.

If there was no price diff I'm sure I'd get every option, expect for the 19s and short shift. There really is some satisfaction in having a new 911 for under $70K.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice color combo. That sux about your previous one....amazing how some people just kick the **** out of their cars like that. Over-rev type 3s' and 4's in the hundreds means the previous owner was one hell of a nutbag
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Very nice color combo. That sux about your previous one....amazing how some people just kick the **** out of their cars like that. Over-rev type 3s' and 4's in the hundreds means the previous owner was one hell of a nutbag
When I saw the DME I almost shat myslef.

The actual #s were:
1-4695
2-1364
3-669
4-453

I don't think I could repeat that if I tried.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:36 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Verrrry nice! Love the sand interior.

Woulda got it myself if I didn't have to haul kids around occasionally.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Verrrry nice! Love the sand interior.

Woulda got it myself if I didn't have to haul kids around occasionally.

A tear comes to my eye every time my 5 yr old son climbs into the seat. I have him and twin 2 1/2 yr old daughters and all 3 get in happily.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Congratulations. You can't believe it's going to snow tomorrow, how about us guys in CT. At this point I think that we'll never get a chance to detail and drive our cars again. We still have ice and snow in the drive way. BTW great car and great color combination. Get the K 40 you'll need it especially where you live. I grew up in South Jersey and I can remember all of the speed traps on the Turnpike and 295 which is a great road to drive at speed occasionally. Enjoy and pray for warmer weather for all.

Jay
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 AM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ23
Congratulations. You can't believe it's going to snow tomorrow, how about us guys in CT. At this point I think that we'll never get a chance to detail and drive our cars again. We still have ice and snow in the drive way. BTW great car and great color combination. Get the K 40 you'll need it especially where you live. I grew up in South Jersey and I can remember all of the speed traps on the Turnpike and 295 which is a great road to drive at speed occasionally. Enjoy and pray for warmer weather for all.

Jay
I just completed a full detail on it - clay, klasse aio, klasse sg X2, carnuba - thinking spring was here and now this. I don't even mond the snow, but the damn road salt.

Quick Reply: New 07 C2 - Atlas/Sand