Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping Bumping the Front Spoiler: about to throw in the towel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Scraping Bumping the Front Spoiler: about to throw in the towel!

looks like a 3rd car daily driver may be in order. yes, i did it to myself for lowering the car (c2, no pasm, techart springs, still plenty of space in the wheel wells). just back from taking the kids out to dinner and really pounded the front spoiler exiting the restaurant driveway, at an angle of course. this was not the "scraping" that usually comes from the front splash guards but the actual scraping/bumping that comes from bottoming out the front spoiler. it's not the first occurence and i'm sure it won't be the last but it simply causes me excruciating pain each and every time it happens. no, i'm not going to put the original springs back on the car as i just can't stand what it looks like all jacked up in the back. time for a 3rd car me thinks.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I really don't think the 997 is a car you want to lower any lower than it already sits in the front.

If only there was some way to lower the rear without lowering the front and not adversely affect handling, that would be the solution to go with.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

not too low, right? i've seen worse....ugh
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
not too low, right? i've seen worse....ugh
Yeah, you're right, I've seen lower (and worse) myself.

Yours is a base 997 and sits a little higher than a 997S, so you can imagine the problem that 997S owners who've lowered theirs are experiencing.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
soc_fans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine if you have Aerokit for the car. I'm putting H&R spring for my car tomorrow. I hope it isn't as bad as what you have experienced.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soc_fans
I can't imagine if you have Aerokit for the car. I'm putting H&R spring for my car tomorrow. I hope it isn't as bad as what you have experienced.
Please post your initial experience with the springs.....

I have a set of H & R's sitting in my garage and a Aerosport front bumper cover being painted. It will be ready this week. I pretty sure I won't be able to install both and get into my garage. I have a friend with both, and he tears up the lower lip occasionally but manages....I'm hating having to choose between the 2 options, but I'd probably go with the springs as I can't stand the SUV look....
Old 03-05-2007, 11:56 PM
raffi
Pro

I dont have any problems with scraping the actual painted part of the bumper. I have a 997s with techarts, and even an aftermarket front bumper which has more overhang than the stock one.
The added benefit is that since your car is lower it is harder to notice that you have scraped the bumper...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

^ that is one way of looking at it!

remember, i'm not talking about scraping so much but actually "bottoming out" the front spoiler. it makes a loud noise, nothing compared to the scraping of the front splash guards.

nothing a 3rd car can't fix
Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't know how they function in Europe with the -20mm suspensions! The other evening leaving out of a B&B driveway I heard all this scraping and thought, now I've done it! (I had a full load,--4 adults!) Well, it appears that my front license plate design has an alternative benefit! It's slightly lower than the front spoiler. If I hear that I KNOW I'm close with the rest! The skid plate offers a backup.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (04-23-2023)
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yours is a base 997 and sits a little higher than a 997S, so you can imagine the problem that 997S owners who've lowered theirs are experiencing.
Or GT3 and especially GT3RS owners...the car is lower, and the front spoiler is lower and further forward.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have a source for the protective plastic parts?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Ron Adair
Racer

I've got an "S" lowered on H&Rs and I've yet to hit hard. The splash guards, however, regularly scrape.

I'm careful entering and exiting and won't park in a lot if it looks dicey.

Street parking works just fine + no door dings.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I don't know how they function in Europe with the -20mm suspensions! The other evening leaving out of a B&B driveway I heard all this scraping and thought, now I've done it! (I had a full load,--4 adults!) Well, it appears that my front license plate design has an alternative benefit! It's slightly lower than the front spoiler. If I hear that I KNOW I'm close with the rest! The skid plate offers a backup.
I like the skid plate you have. Where did you get it?

I have to ask....how did you get 4 adults in your Carrera? I don't think I've ever seen that done before!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

The skid plates are available from Performance Products. I augmented their installation with additional bolts near the ends. They din't provide enough.

Yes. 4 adults! I was driving and I'm 5-8, another guy in the right front at about 6-2, and the seats forward, two women in the back. We left the top down the whole time so I'm sure that helped a lot! Of course, these were not overly large women...petites.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

As regards how they function in Europe. The roads are flatter.

It was quite a shock to me when I first moved to the USA from England around 15 years ago. I've always owned low sports cars and wasnt prepared for the humps and bumps in intersections, driveways, parking lots, everywhere here. I means its actually pretty rare NOT to have the humps isnt it? And what are they for exactly? Floods? torrential rain?

They dont have them in England (and this is a country that understands Rain!). I guess building codes are different. You exit a gas station or a resturant parking lot or an apartment building parking lot and the transition from driveway to road will be Flat. Always. Completly flat.

There must be some builders or architects on here who can tell us why the humps are mandated here?

-mike

Quick Reply: Scraping Bumping the Front Spoiler: about to throw in the towel!