997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20' tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:08 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

I like the way a 20in wheel looks on these cars but realize that not everybody cup of tea.. I for one would not go down in size unless I was only tracking the car. To me the 18's tires look too big. Hey just my opinion. I do like how all the tuner companies are using 20's on there tuner cars. They must not feel enough lost in performance to stay away from them..
Old 03-21-2007 | 01:50 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Couldn't disagree more! Although I am not into the "tuner" mentality, I enjoy seeing individualism in car styles and tastes. I wouldn't be so arrogant to think that my way is the only way!

Love individualism... I respect other's rights to do whatever they want... but I personally wouldn't buy a Van Gogh and draw in an elephant in the background just because I like elephants. Just sayin', that's all. To each his/her own.

But then, I'm guilty, too... I changed out to clear side markers...
Old 03-22-2007 | 02:07 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Everyone has a belly button, so seeing something different unique makes for a colorful experience while on this planet.

Bean me up Scotty!

Sign, Space Cadet
Old 03-23-2007 | 10:57 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Here's my 06 997S with 20" Victor wheels and PS2. Also lowered with H&K springs. Still grips and runs great.

Old 03-23-2007 | 11:07 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=CleanSlate]Here's my 06 997S with 20" Victor wheels and PS2. Also lowered with H&K springs. Still grips and runs great.

QUOTE]

Thant's HOT!
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CleanSlate
Here's my 06 997S with 20" Victor wheels and PS2. Also lowered with H&K springs. Still grips and runs great.
Originally Posted by cvazquez
Thant's HOT!
..... yes, very HOT!
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Couldn't disagree more! Although I am not into the "tuner" mentality, I enjoy seeing individualism in car styles and tastes. I wouldn't be so arrogant to think that my way is the only way!

I think you are wrong in implying that he is being arrogant in thinking that his way (the stock way) is the only way.

He was specifically replying to SYMA's post about these cars being one of the least amenable to the pimped out look. He was essentially saying these cars look their best in stock form. Regardless of how you personalize them by the options you choose when you order your car from the factory it is still in stock form.

It would be absurd to think there is arrogance in someone's opinion that the stock form is best. Porsche designs these cars the way they want to, with the options they want to, which they deem best suited for the car. If anything, it could be said that anyone who thinks they know better than Porsche by making their own changes to the car might be arrogant to think they know better. But customization is everyone's prerogative if they wish to deviate from the stock look, even if it's in the extreme (a la black/terra), and there's obviously nothing wrong with that either so long as you are happy with the look.

Just be careful how you word things as they can be misinterpreted.
Old 03-23-2007 | 01:40 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Not trying to hijack, but if any of you guys switching wheels have a set of 18" Carrera III for a narrow body I would be be interested in them.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Blue Ocean; 03-23-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2007 | 03:01 PM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Thanks CV & Gota
Old 03-24-2007 | 02:52 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
I think you are wrong in implying that he is being arrogant in thinking that his way (the stock way) is the only way.

He was specifically replying to SYMA's post about these cars being one of the least amenable to the pimped out look. He was essentially saying these cars look their best in stock form. Regardless of how you personalize them by the options you choose when you order your car from the factory it is still in stock form.

It would be absurd to think there is arrogance in someone's opinion that the stock form is best. Porsche designs these cars the way they want to, with the options they want to, which they deem best suited for the car. If anything, it could be said that anyone who thinks they know better than Porsche by making their own changes to the car might be arrogant to think they know better. But customization is everyone's prerogative if they wish to deviate from the stock look, even if it's in the extreme (a la black/terra), and there's obviously nothing wrong with that either so long as you are happy with the look.

Just be careful how you word things as they can be misinterpreted.
You said it best. Thanks.

Certainly, we can't expect everyone to agree on everything on this forum? I love to see everyone express their own opinions. Now, that's individualism!
Old 03-24-2007 | 03:04 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Don't 20" wheels weigh a lot more? And I would think that such a low profile would result in a lot of wheel damage on these crappy U.S. streets. Hell, my 18s are bent to **** from LA's quality roadwork - I'd hate to think what would happen if I had 19" wheels, let alone 20".

Personally, I think 19" and up look dreadful. Even my 18s are a bit much.
Old 03-24-2007 | 03:28 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Don't 20" wheels weigh a lot more? And I would think that such a low profile would result in a lot of wheel damage on these crappy U.S. streets. Hell, my 18s are bent to **** from LA's quality roadwork - I'd hate to think what would happen if I had 19" wheels, let alone 20".

Personally, I think 19" and up look dreadful. Even my 18s are a bit much.
I test-drove a 996 with 18" wheels before I bought my 997 and liked it better. I'm only an average driver, but I throught it handled better. I'm used to the 19s now, but 18s should be an option when you buy your car.

Jimmy
Old 03-24-2007 | 04:34 AM
oc997
Racer

20 inch is becoming an OEM standard. The BMW E60 M5's and M6's for instance are coming from factory with 20 inch wheels and l do not think BMW would put these on if they lost a lot of performance and handling to such a car.

It takes some getting used to since the same type of sentiment was there when ppl put 19 inch wheels on their cars 3-4 years ago. Now Porsche offers 19 inch as a factory option or standard.

Absolute Performance and track wise their is no compromise to 18 inch wheels ofcourse. There is no argument in this.

I will not be surprised if the 998 will come with 20 inch wheels as a standard or factory option in a few years and the same discussion will be made about 21 inch wheels.
Old 03-24-2007 | 05:02 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by oc997
20 inch is becoming an OEM standard. The BMW E60 M5's and M6's for instance are coming from factory with 20 inch wheels and l do not think BMW would put these on if they lost a lot of performance and handling to such a car.

It takes some getting used to since the same type of sentiment was there when ppl put 19 inch wheels on their cars 3-4 years ago. Now Porsche offers 19 inch as a factory option or standard.

Absolute Performance and track wise their is no compromise to 18 inch wheels ofcourse. There is no argument in this.

I will not be surprised if the 998 will come with 20 inch wheels as a standard or factory option in a few years and the same discussion will be made about 21 inch wheels.
Soon we'll just have rubber painted on rims. How about these 24"s?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 20' tires