Sponsored by:

997 Non-Bose Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 Non-Bose Stereo Upgrade

I visited a local stereo shop which the local P-Car dealer recommended. I have a non-Bose 2006 C2 and wanted to leave a stock appearance, but improve the sound.

It looks like the only options are:

1) Use Factory PCM headunit and tap into the speaker outs and convert them to RCA's and use this to go to a new amp. Does anyone know if their is an outboard amp for the non-Bose system?

2) Replace the speakers with either Focal or JL audio 3 way separates. Any suggestions on which people prefer?

3) Add a single 4-5 channel amp up front (inputs from line level inputs) to power separates and sub. Most likely this will be a JL Audio 300/4

4) Get a custom built subwoofer box that will fit where the Bose system sits. Should be stealthy still. I will likely use 2 six inch JL (6w0) subs.

5) Still unsure how I will add the Ipod to the system.

Has anyone had any experience with using the stock PCM as the headunit, but doing something similar to what I have in mind? I am most curious on how they get to the speaker level outputs and if they are powered by a small amp, if that poses any problems/fault codes.

I tried using the search function, but the main threads are for a full front end replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, the PCM does not have any analog outputs (powered or line level); all audio content is output via MOST (plastic optical fiber).
Old 03-04-2007, 11:32 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Personally, I'm not sure I would do this, but it is one of the better sound system mods I've seen posted. http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...rue#Post188249
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am concerned about having this "mod" turn into a "hack". Does anyone know if the speaker outs (which I understand are analog) on a non-bose system, have the skewed audio characteristics like the second reply states?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point, I would think it would have an effect on resale (negative) if that is of any concern.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think there is a mod of the Porsche system (except the XM/Sirius radio and the Denison Ipod) that is not a hack of some sort. I would definitely be concerned about harming resale value, although this mod seems less severe than most I've seen (black/terra comes to mind).
Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started looking into this, but its not as easy as it sounds. The dealer here in Greece told me that the presence of an external amp - which would turn on via a remote - like they all do - would register on the PCM as a power drain and throw a fault code...
Hmmm... Food for thought... I still havent decided what to do. THe game plan you had in mind is very much along the lines of what I wanted as well. But the fact that no one has done it really troubles me...
So for now I have focused on other things!
Good luck, please keep us posted this is a very interesting topic to be looked into.

EDIT: That link posted a bit higher up is to quite a nice write up. Apparently there is a product by Audio Control which solves the issue my techs were worried about as it gives the remote lead to the amp. Found here

Then they talk about THIS which is a product by JL to correct the frequency reposnse tweeks that Porsche has done to compensate for the limitations of the system in our cars.
SHould have read this post before answering. I believe it asnwers your question, and provides a solution. Good luck.

Last edited by dianic; 03-05-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Rehoo
5th Gear

This is not that hard. There is a full range output on the back of the PCM unit for front and rear speakers. I am looking at the wiring diagram now. This will happen to my Cayman S in April. You can splice into those outputs and put into a unit like the JL Audio cleansweep. You do not need to remove PCM or the ASK amplifier. Just bypass them, install a seperate amp, run new wires and and replace the speakers. With a small amp, it will be invisible.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

Just go with a good double din after market unit with navigation, cheaper, lighter and way better than PCM especially the 2.1! E
Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Rehoo
This is not that hard. There is a full range output on the back of the PCM unit for front and rear speakers. I am looking at the wiring diagram now. This will happen to my Cayman S in April. You can splice into those outputs and put into a unit like the JL Audio cleansweep. You do not need to remove PCM or the ASK amplifier. Just bypass them, install a seperate amp, run new wires and and replace the speakers. With a small amp, it will be invisible.
Do you have instructions and the diagrams on how to do that?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 AM
f1realtor
Intermediate

Not sure on how you can do it, but I do have opinions on your speaker and amp choices. I'd go with Rainbow speakers and go with an Arc Audio or Zapco amp.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

In a non-Bose system, is it possible to just swap out the Amp section with an upgraded amp? Also, where is it located?

Quick Reply: 997 Non-Bose Stereo Upgrade