Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This Tough to Fix??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

more care in removing the liner, its mae of the most delicate platic on earth.
getting the acuator is a pian as well
Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

So now I know it's the wheel and fender liner that has to be removed.

It is the collateral damage I am worried about; and the fact that once my car is all apart, they may not have the necessary parts to complete the work that day.

I don't like the idea of my car sitting there for a week or so all torn apart waiting for a part. Last time I went in, it took almost 2 weeks to order a trunk latch sensor because they did not have the part in stock.

Just seems easier (and actually more secure) to get a locking gas cap....if I an find one. I have done searches and can't find one as of yet.

Last edited by Dariof; 03-04-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first. if you get a aftermarketgas cap and then have check engine lights, its not going to be warrenty. (seriously is fuel theft that big of a problem)
They may not have the parts that day .........thats the joys of having a german car...........parts arent coming from kansas

there is nothing worse then customers who wont leave their car, that means the tech gets to work for free. as he deosnt get paid untill he completes the repair so if he takes 4 hours to diagnose it then has to put the car back together becasue the owner cant bear to drive a rental overnight. the tech worked for free, and has to stil take it back apart when the part comes in.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

500....im with you.I write letters and bring coronas regularly.Its a bitch to have to do this to get extra care but i own a 911 so nough said.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
first. if you get a aftermarketgas cap and then have check engine lights, its not going to be warrenty. (seriously is fuel theft that big of a problem)
They may not have the parts that day .........thats the joys of having a german car...........parts arent coming from kansas

there is nothing worse then customers who wont leave their car, that means the tech gets to work for free. as he deosnt get paid untill he completes the repair so if he takes 4 hours to diagnose it then has to put the car back together becasue the owner cant bear to drive a rental overnight. the tech worked for free, and has to stil take it back apart when the part comes in.

Brad,

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be just overnight if a part needs to be ordered. I would do that without any hesitation at all.

It would be at least a week or so if they do not have the part. I know because I have already been through this with my inop trunk switch (10 days to get the part from Germany).

I do not want to leave my car for several nights at some dealership (for a very minor repair that doesn't affect driveability), and I do not want to drive a cheap rental car either....can you say Geo Metro

Nor would I ask the tech to put it back together just to take it apart again when the part came in...I would just take my car home and be done with fixing it out here. Why are you assuming I would want the tech to work for free?????

If I have to leave it that long, I just won't fix it out here. I'll find a locking gas cap until I can find a viable alterntive. I don't care about gas theft as you mentioned, but I would care is some kid decided to pour sugar in the tank....or Jim Carrey decided to pee in the tank.

I will see what the dealer says and if they will order the part before they tear it all apart. I believe it can be only the actuator.

If they cannot or won't, I'll call a dealer in California. There are several much larger dealers out there and I would think the parts are more readily available. It would be a fun road trip, and I have a home out there anyway. I'm out there a week per month.

I'll make the best of whatever happens.....I always do.

Last edited by Dariof; 03-04-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had the same issue, didn't lock when the car locked.
So I was looking at it and the plastic piece was stuck in the unlock position.
I tried to pull the emergency release wire by the front/inside of the door and the whole wire came loose together with the plastic latch piece! Great, so I've left it that way since, it's always unlocked.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Mine had the same issue, didn't lock when the car locked.
So I was looking at it and the plastic piece was stuck in the unlock position.
I tried to pull the emergency release wire by the front/inside of the door and the whole wire came loose together with the plastic latch piece! Great, so I've left it that way since, it's always unlocked.

Yeah, the dealer tried a "quick fix" thinking the locking mechanism was not aligned correctly. They took a pair of pliers and pulled on the locking pin. I thought it was going to break off, but it didn't. I didn't say anything except to thank them for trying.

I have my formal diagnosis appointment this Tuesday.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dariof
I'll make the best of whatever happens.....I always do.
I truly wish I could think/live like that . When things don't go well or as planned for me, I work it and work it until I can change it and sometimes I can't; all so very healthy for my stress levels

Quick Reply: Is This Tough to Fix??