Reason for car vibrating at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007 | 04:18 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmoss
for some real fun check out the ot forum
I suggest posting a political topic of some nature.
Old 02-26-2007 | 04:27 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Hey Ben, Red, et al, you getting this?
Old 02-26-2007 | 04:32 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Assuming you were wondering about the shudder after the patch but before the tire started shredding I'd say it was out of balance. I'm guessing when they patched it, they didn't re-balance. So, if the patch weighs say 1/2 ounce, then think of what sticking a 1/2 ounce lead weight onto the wheel would do - throw it out of balance. Just a theory...
Old 02-26-2007 | 06:51 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Listen Sherlock, if you had explained that you had the tires already to put on youw wouldn't be getting the heat. Re read your post as the rest of us have and tell us where it says you had replacement tires to fit onto the car.
It doesn't matter what he said or how he put it.
Maybe you should rephrase your comments and show some respect for fellow members.
He simply asked a question, you were the one who jumped at him with a rude attitude.
Then instead of an apology, you came back with more sarcastic remarks.
Old 02-26-2007 | 07:07 PM
bdmason
Instructor

::
Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Take it easy bdmason, stick around here and you'll develop some thick skin!

Lets assume your tires are new and perfect round and you still get a wobble over 60, I'd have them balanced.
Thank you diver . I went outside and stuck my head in the snow for a minute . and Lechef I didn't know I was accountable to you .I'll remember next time .I promise!! ( help me lord for I have just told a lie ) I asked a question I was hoping for a simple answer.but that ok I'm gettin to like this forum. Thanks again
Old 02-26-2007 | 07:25 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

If you and Diver are that sensitive I suggest using less moisturizer and getting over it. And thankfully I don't have either of you accountable to me. The original post was anything but clear in terms of the salient facts, hence the response.
Old 02-26-2007 | 07:40 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
If you and Diver are that sensitive I suggest using less moisturizer and getting over it. And thankfully I don't have either of you accountable to me. The original post was anything but clear in terms of the salient facts, hence the response.
See what I mean! Moisturizer? lol I prefer lubricants but to each his own.
Old 02-26-2007 | 07:52 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Once you've worn the tires down to the cords, any balancing that was done when they were first put on is out the door... I noticed a vibration on mine, checked the tires and they were worn but good. Then on a second inspection later on I noticed a small piece (1/2" in length 1/8th in width) of the inside rubber gone and you could see the cords. Changed the tires and the vibration was gone. It's most likely the worn tire.
And I also have to agree, your first post was a little shocking, I too thought you kept on going with cords showing. The cords are strength of the tire, once you break through the cords, the integrity of the tire is gone.
On hual truck tires (12ft dia) you can go run with the cords showing but once you break through a ply you have to shut the equipment down.
Old 02-26-2007 | 08:42 PM
bdmason
Instructor

enuff already me nor my car needs a lube job
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:24 AM
carbonfiber
Advanced

In answer to the real question, Yes the tire with the cords showing will definitely cause the vibration and replacing the two rears will eliminate the problem. When tires are run low on air they will wear prematurely on the outer edges, and with the camber on the rear tires of the P cars they will wear even more on the inside edge. an over inflated tire will wear the center out. So by running low air for even a few miles on a rear engine P car will easily wear down to the cords on the inner edge showing the cords, which will cause the steel belting to start to shift and quickly throw the balance off.
Hope that helps
JIM
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:44 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbonfiber
In answer to the real question, Yes the tire with the cords showing will definitely cause the vibration and replacing the two rears will eliminate the problem. When tires are run low on air they will wear prematurely on the outer edges, and with the camber on the rear tires of the P cars they will wear even more on the inside edge. an over inflated tire will wear the center out. So by running low air for even a few miles on a rear engine P car will easily wear down to the cords on the inner edge showing the cords, which will cause the steel belting to start to shift and quickly throw the balance off.
Hope that helps
JIM
Finally !!!Thanks carbonfiber . I'll check the car out to see how it handles first after the tires are changed. I didn't want to open a can of worms by telling the tireshop the the car was vibrating.
Thanks again
Old 02-27-2007 | 02:04 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
I suggest posting a political topic of some nature.
Or religion.
Old 02-27-2007 | 02:41 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Apropos absolutely nothing in this topic..... would someone educate me and explain why a 997 Turbo is referred to as a "tt" in the 'States?
Old 02-27-2007 | 02:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by draxa
Hey Ben, Red, et al, you getting this?

Apropos absolutely nothing in this topic..... would someone educate me and explain why a 997 Turbo is referred to as a "tt" in the 'States?
I'm as clueless as you, Draxa.

I never refer to the Turbo as "tt" and have no idea why people insist on calling it that. Maybe it's a sttttutter problem they have.

Btw, while we're off on a tangent here, how's your biological experiments coming along in your garage - I mean, your lab?
Old 02-27-2007 | 03:04 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Btw, while we're off on a tangent here, how's your biological experiments coming along in your garage - I mean, your lab?

Oh you mean this guy?
<<<<<<
He's doing OK. Got to grips with quadratic equations, basic trigonometry and is pawing his way through the earlier of Kipling's Jungle Books but still finds it impossible to stop panting like crazy when a good-looking girl walks by (which is quite embarrassing as dogs don't wear pants if you know what I mean).

Quick Reply: Reason for car vibrating at high speeds