997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Break In

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007 | 01:10 AM
Moderato
Racer

Just follow the break-in procedure in the owner's manual. Every car manufacturer from A-Z has some kind of break in so it must be necessary for SOME reason.
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:21 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
.....I'm sure the motor is run by Porsche before delivery, eh. Prolly to red line and above, too. I'm sure I'd do that pre-delivery if I were Porsche. It must have the **** run out of it before it is installed in the rear end of the P-car? ....
It might not be a problem if the motor is run to redline on a bench without load. It might be a different story once the engine is installed.

Either way it's your car. Drive it like you own it (you do, don't you?). As for myself I feel that Porsche builds these cars and knows what's best for them. If they recommend a break in period I'm going to follow it. If someone wants to redline the car from day one that's fine with me too.

It's your car. It's your money. It's your perogative. It's your problem....
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:24 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Wow... boolala, I'm more interested in the specs of your avatar... LOL
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:14 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boolala
It might not be a problem if the motor is run to redline on a bench without load. It might be a different story once the engine is installed.

Either way it's your car. Drive it like you own it (you do, don't you?). As for myself I feel that Porsche builds these cars and knows what's best for them. If they recommend a break in period I'm going to follow it. If someone wants to redline the car from day one that's fine with me too.

It's your car. It's your money. It's your perogative. It's your problem....
I am certainly not suggesting that one should take the car off the lot and 'red line' it. I'm merely asking, why not drive it "normally"? And, if that means getting it above the 4500 mark here and there, what actual harm is done.

My question still is ... "What's behind this keeping the revs below xxxx and varying the speed"? What does this do for the motor? And, if one does not follow these suggestions, what does that do? I can understand if one drives to the red line ALL THE TIME ... this would not be a good thing. But, what about my question?
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

My question still is ... "What's behind this keeping the revs below xxxx and varying the speed"? What does this do for the motor? And, if one does not follow these suggestions, what does that do? I can understand if one drives to the red line ALL THE TIME ... this would not be a good thing. But, what about my question?
I think what everyone here is trying to say, especially to the noob who posted the thread, is if you do a search here, this question of yours and all other questions regarding break-in have been covered thoroughly to everyone's satisfaction, with expert opinions from engineers and metallurgists.
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:34 AM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

I believe the US break in limits are a CYA by Porsche, becuse of the US legal system (trial lawyers). It give the new Porsche owner some time to get familar with the car. If he wrecks or worse his new Porsche in the first 2000 miles, Porsche might able to show he was not in compliance with the manual which would help their case.
Old 02-28-2007 | 12:44 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joe 996
I believe the US break in limits are a CYA by Porsche, becuse of the US legal system (trial lawyers). It give the new Porsche owner some time to get familar with the car. If he wrecks or worse his new Porsche in the first 2000 miles, Porsche might able to show he was not in compliance with the manual which would help their case.
This is the real reason why the break-in for US cars is more conservative than ROW cars.
Old 02-28-2007 | 12:44 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

You want the piston rings to seat themselves, to do this its best to vary the engine speed instead of just one long highway trip across the country. In other words a mix of highway and city driving.

Dave
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:17 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
You want the piston rings to seat themselves, to do this its best to vary the engine speed instead of just one long highway trip across the country. In other words a mix of highway and city driving.

Dave

Dave I just wanted to you to know that I've just done a nice job 'seating the piston rings and valves'.

Hope you don't mind.

(j/k) lol
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:20 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Please ... can someone tell me what 'varying the rpms' does to the rings, pistons,
A google search of 'engine break-in' will give you more info than you care to read. Basicaly, you are seating the rings which means that the cylinder walls are wearing in to create a good seal. The most important variables are the cylinder pressure and temp which are directly related to engine load (ie, throttle). By varying the load, you are able to force the rings against the wall so that they wear-in without causing excessive temp build-up. I've run up the RPM's for short bursts on new engines and have not had an oil burner.

And, why do the Europeans and the Americans have different manuals for breakin' in the car? Odd.
Odd? Not when you consider the US tort system. Remember the 930 lawsuit? Lawyers argued the car was dangerous because of the rear weight bias. What would you do in Porsche's position? I'd recommend low RPM's during break-in so a newbie won't find themselves backwards the first time they brake late in a turn. This doesn't apply so much to the 997 as it's a long way from a 930 but the concept is the same.
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Dave I just wanted to you to know that I've just done a nice job 'seating the piston rings and valves'.

Hope you don't mind.
Were they courtside seats or general bleacher nosebleeds at Gund Arena?
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:31 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I think I have my answer. Thanx.

I'll drive the car 'normally'. I don't intend to take it to the red line for some time. I don't think that is wise anytime, and what would it prove anyway? Nuttin' ...

This certainly is not my first P-car. I have throttle driven Porsches in the 70s and 80s, swapping ends only once (without incident) at high speed in rain. BTAIM ... I'm not concerned with my C4S swapping ends. And, many new cars seem to 'use a quart' or so every 1500 miles or so. No one seems to know why. Even when broken in "to the mark".

As far as the search function of this and other message boards is concerned .... yeah, it's pretty EZ to use if one is looking "exhaust", "clear markers", and such. But, spending hours looking at this and that is a PITA. Yes, I search stuff all the time. I guess I'm just not bright enough to type in the proper 2-3 words to access the 'good threads'. Whatever ... I still like this place.

Ya know, noobs come along in message boards all the time. They ask questions that have been asked, and asked, and asked, and .... well, you know. And, many cronies just say ... "Do a search, dummy ... this has been asked since dinosaur crap was fresh". Ok, I can dig it. But, if you don't wanna respond to the query, don't. Just let the question sit there .... moldering forever.

But, there are only so many questions. As, the clock continues to tick, there will certainly be another, "How often should I change the oil?", "What about break in?", "What tire pressure should I run?", "What color interior goes with silver?", "PSE?" .... and stuff.

Hey, it's a message board.

Folks frequent here because they wanna give info to noobs ... knowitalls love message boards. If some folks think this is their private deal cuz they have 4397 posts ... well, you're wrong, m'friends ! Folks and members can ask what they want. If you don't wanna answer, don't. "Do a search, Dummy" is not friendly, informative, or helpful to someone who wants information. Just tell 'em ... or don't respond.

I've read stuff like this on Rennlist before .... on a couple other forums. Why is that?

BTW ... what level of tint should I get? 35%? I think the car comes with 25%, eh.
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:41 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?

Hope you don't mind.

(j/k) lol

Can't wait..Chad says on the truck by Friday...I'm praying I'm cruising in it by next weekend on the coast.

Dave
Old 03-01-2007 | 07:29 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

"Stick to car maintenance common sense and you will be fine. By that, I mean don't stress the engine, brakes, or tires until they are up to operating temperatures, not myths like change your oil every 3000 miles regardless of conditions or driving habits - this is not your father's oldsmobile."

GReat advice, I'm with you on this one Gravedgr!

Quick Reply: 997 Break In