Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Break In

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007 | 10:10 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I think RTFM is very helpful. I don't understand people who buy things, especially expensive complex ones, and don't read the manual to understand how to use it. The answers are in THERE, straight from Porsche.
Not quite. The German and the US manuals give different break in mileages. There have been many threads on this, and it is a common question, and it is confusing.

Perhaps a sticky thread is in order?
Old 02-25-2007 | 10:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Old 02-26-2007 | 12:08 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Be sure to PM 1999Porsche911 on all questions regarding engine break-in and oil usage. Feel free to use the search to extract his wisdom too!
Old 02-26-2007 | 07:28 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Be sure to PM 1999Porsche911 on all questions regarding engine break-in and oil usage. Feel free to use the search to extract his wisdom too!
Doug, that was a mean thing to do, even to a "Newbie" ..... but it is funny!

This poor guy probably thinks you gave him a good lead on all oil related issues! Even I am not THAT mean to the "Newbies!"
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:13 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

I would just follow Porsche's recommendations. Your going to want to drive it a lot, so it won't take that long.
Old 02-26-2007 | 02:29 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Doug, that was a mean thing to do, even to a "Newbie" ..... but it is funny!

This poor guy probably thinks you gave him a good lead on all oil related issues! Even I am not THAT mean to the "Newbies!"
I'm sorry. Gab - please pay no attention to me.
Old 02-26-2007 | 03:17 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Well it's Monday now, time to be serious.

I broke the rules a couple of times but generally I kept the engine under 4k rpm for 2000 miles.

I tracked once and another track event planned in April and have almost 10000 miles on the clock. In all this time with one oil change I have yet to add a quart, actually about 2/3.

Some will say the same thing with 1000 miles, ok true but I think its always a safe bet to follow the manual.
Old 02-26-2007 | 08:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The factory guy told me to keep it under 5000 rpm for the first 2000 miles and I used 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Vary your speeds and warm it up slowly.
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:28 PM
gab997
Racer

Ok, think I need to start over.

I am a newbie on the board

I just ordered my dream car a 97 911S.
Midnight Blue
Sand Beige Interior
Adaptive Sport Seats
19" Turbo Wheels
Chrono Sports Pack.

The car will be arriving in June and was starting to think about the mechanical break in process. Due to not having the car yet, which equals no manual..... I thought that a post on the site would be helpful to see what others have done and get a feel for what best process would be. And yes, will be asking the dealer the question when I get the car and of course will be reading the manual. Many thanks for the all the good input, appreciate it. Greg
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:36 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kauai_diver

I broke the rules a couple of times but generally I kept the engine under 4k rpm for 2000 miles.

I tracked once and another track event planned in April and have almost 10000 miles on the clock. In all this time with one oil change I have yet to add a quart, actually about 2/3.

Some will say the same thing with 1000 miles, ok true but I think its always a safe bet to follow the manual.
Thanks for the excellent information, you really seem to know what your are talking about!

Greg I'd follow this guys suggestion, oh and grats on a nice color combo! If you know off hand the turbo wheel weights I'd be interested.
Old 02-27-2007 | 10:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the excellent information, you really seem to know what your are talking about!

Greg I'd follow this guys suggestion, oh and grats on a nice color combo! If you know off hand the turbo wheel weights I'd be interested.
Kurt - what the hell, you're quoting yourself now? Too funny!

In case you don't know, that is tantamount to "talking to yourself"... and then replying!
Old 02-27-2007 | 06:03 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gab997
Ok, think I need to start over.

I am a newbie on the board

I just ordered my dream car a 97 911S.
Midnight Blue
Sand Beige Interior
Adaptive Sport Seats
19" Turbo Wheels
Chrono Sports Pack.

The car will be arriving in June and was starting to think about the mechanical break in process. Due to not having the car yet, which equals no manual..... I thought that a post on the site would be helpful to see what others have done and get a feel for what best process would be. And yes, will be asking the dealer the question when I get the car and of course will be reading the manual. Many thanks for the all the good input, appreciate it. Greg
Greg, you definitely need a BS filter to get to the good information on Rennlist - and it is there, but you DO need the fulter.

FWIW, my dealer told me not to worry about the break-in period. So I ignored the arbitrary mileage number and focused on varying speeds and RPMs while it was new (no cruise control). And I always, ALWAYS keep the engine below 4000 RPMs until the oil temp (not the water temp!) is at the 200 mark. I have 7 months and 7200 miles on my C2S and I've added less than a 1/2 quart so far (way back around 2-3000).

Stick to car maintenance common sense and you will be fine. By that, I mean don't stress the engine, brakes, or tires until they are up to operating temperatures, not myths like change your oil every 3000 miles regardless of conditions or driving habits - this is not your father's oldsmobile.
Old 02-27-2007 | 08:34 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by gravedgr
And I always, ALWAYS keep the engine below 4000 RPMs until the oil temp (not the water temp!) is at the 200 mark.
Very good point - even now, after break-in, I don't give it any stick unless the oil temp is up to normal.
Old 02-27-2007 | 10:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

There's a lot of doubt amongst Porsche owners about the validity/need of the break-in period, a doubt amplified by the "fact" that the European manuals give a different set of guidelines (I quote it only because I've never seen the other manuals). I think anyone who tells you they know what is best is at best kidding themselves.

Personally, I don't see any reason to not follow the 2000 mile guidelines in the manual. Keep the revs below 4200 (I think that's the number), don't burden the engine at low RPM's, and generally drive more conservatively for those first 2000 miles. I waited a long time to own a 911, and I could wait 2000 miles before I really opened it up. The wheels won't fall off if you jump on it earlier, but why take a risk of doing something that might lead to problems down the road?

Congrats on your soon-to-be new car. Great color combination. We'll look forward to the obligatory photos when it arrives.
Old 02-27-2007 | 10:58 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Default I don't get it ....

I've never been able to figure out why a car needs to be "broken in". I buy a Chevy Corvette and drive it like I stole it. No problems. American Muscle.

I just "offed" a 2003 M5 and we had all this same discussion on the M5 board. Vary the rpms, don't go over the red line, don't drive it at the same speed for long periods, do some stop and go, very the throttle pitch, make sure you back the car up every 48 miles, and such. Huh ... ??

Every time I buy a new motorcycle ... the boards say the same thing. EXACTLY ! What's up with this ? Next, it'll be what to do with a new riding lawn mower ... 'vary the rpms, change the oil at 3k, don't mow at the same speed for long periods, vary the direction of mowing, yada, yada ... '.

I don't understand.

I'm sure the motor is run by Porsche before delivery, eh. Prolly to red line and above, too. I'm sure I'd do that pre-delivery if I were Porsche. It must have the **** run out of it before it is installed in the rear end of the P-car? Or, do they just 'hand assemble' these deals and hope that someone will drive it at less than 4k rpms FOREVER? Maybe my grandma should buy one ... with a tip.

Please ... can someone tell me what 'varying the rpms' does to the rings, pistons, oil journals (is that how they are spelled? forgive me ... I'm a dentist, not a wrench), cams, gears, and what not? I'm soooooo confused with WHY we need to baby the car? What's the science? The physics? Opinions are not approved.

And, why do the Europeans and the Americans have different manuals for breakin' in the car? Odd. Do the Kiwi's have yet another version? Maybe one that varies the rpms cuz the loo swirls anti-clockwise down there? Hmmmmm.... that's obvious.

I still don't understand why we need to 'break in" the car's motor? Maybe I'm just an idiot here. (not asking for opinions about THAT, tho) I don't think we need to bump the 'gov'na' ALL the time, or rap out the engine to the 'red line' either. But, hey .... it's a car that has been put together by folks that know how it's done. Drive it 'normally'? I think so.

Someone has to give me more info regarding WHY we need to break the motor in over 2400 miles ... or is it 600 miles ... or is it 10,000 miles. I don't understand. Let's see something more than RTFOM for a response.

Thanx, folks ... Id really appreciate it a great deal. BTW, new car's 'on the boat'.

Quick Reply: 997 Break In