Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE960 All Season - My Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007 | 01:33 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Default Bridgestone RE960 All Season - My Review

So I picked these up to use as a winter tire for the 997S. They have a decent amount of traction for an all season tire but they have extremely stiff sidewalls. Because of this, they do not lose traction gradually but rather simply "give out," especially in the front, causing extreme understeer without any prior notice. They also are rough and noisy, especially on less than optimal surfaces. They also have a strange numbness when making very minor steering corrections while driving, lending a very un-Porsche like driving experience.

In snow, they are acceptable. You won't get stuck but you need to be careful when coming to a rapid stop. They don't bite well under braking unless you do so gradually.

Ultimately, the adage "you get what you pay for" applies to these tires. They aren't terrible by any means but they do nothing remarkably well but are a serviceable tire if you need them for both winter and regular use.

Oh, and you'll find the stock sizes won't fill out the tire as well as Pilot Sport 2s.
Old 02-22-2007 | 05:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I learned awhile back that it's best to avoid the "all season" or "mud and snow" tires in favor of just plain SNOW TIRES. If you're going to go to the trouble to put another set of tires on your car that are not summer road tires go to the next extreme. I find a significant difference between any mud and snow tire and a pure snow tire. Thanks for your review.
Old 02-22-2007 | 05:11 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I learned awhile back that it's best to avoid the "all season" or "mud and snow" tires in favor of just plain SNOW TIRES. If you're going to go to the trouble to put another set of tires on your car that are not summer road tires go to the next extreme. I find a significant difference between any mud and snow tire and a pure snow tire. Thanks for your review.
I think you more eloquently summarized my review. The good news is that the 960s are cheap, at least by Porsche standards.
Old 02-23-2007 | 12:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

To go further though,--these beasts perform so well in the snow,--especially with decent snow tires! Anyone in snow country who doesn't have to contend with ammonium nitrate or salt on their roads should really try them in the winter. A good thorough wash afterwards goes a long way.
Old 02-23-2007 | 02:19 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

I've got these on my x-type. Have a few thousand miles on them and I like them a lot. Much MUCH better than the factory Conti touring tires in the dry. When I got my bimmer, I thought the x-type sucked at handling. But once I changed to these, it feels like a new car that's light on its feet now. It's amazing how much tires can change a car's performance. They do pretty well in the snow with AWD.
Old 02-23-2007 | 02:53 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBonus
So I picked these up to use as a winter tire for the 997S. They have a decent amount of traction for an all season tire but they have extremely stiff sidewalls. Because of this, they do not lose traction gradually but rather simply "give out," especially in the front, causing extreme understeer without any prior notice. They also are rough and noisy, especially on less than optimal surfaces. They also have a strange numbness when making very minor steering corrections while driving, lending a very un-Porsche like driving experience.

In snow, they are acceptable. You won't get stuck but you need to be careful when coming to a rapid stop. They don't bite well under braking unless you do so gradually.

Ultimately, the adage "you get what you pay for" applies to these tires. They aren't terrible by any means but they do nothing remarkably well but are a serviceable tire if you need them for both winter and regular use.

Oh, and you'll find the stock sizes won't fill out the tire as well as Pilot Sport 2s.
I have a set of these tires in my garage . I mistakingly ordered them from the tire rack. I was going to keep them until I read your thread. Knowing what you do,if you were in my shoes would you send them back. I drive in the winter ,but I use another vechile if it's snowing or raining.
Old 02-23-2007 | 05:27 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I've got these on my x-type. Have a few thousand miles on them and I like them a lot. Much MUCH better than the factory Conti touring tires in the dry. When I got my bimmer, I thought the x-type sucked at handling. But once I changed to these, it feels like a new car that's light on its feet now. It's amazing how much tires can change a car's performance. They do pretty well in the snow with AWD.
It's all relative. They aren't terrible tires by any measure and among the best all season variety I've ever tried but I find the term "Max Performance" to be a bit misleading when compared to other summer tires I've owned.

Originally Posted by bdmason

I have a set of these tires in my garage . I mistakingly ordered them from the tire rack. I was going to keep them until I read your thread. Knowing what you do,if you were in my shoes would you send them back. I drive in the winter ,but I use another vechile if it's snowing or raining.
They aren't a bad tire at all, especially considering the price, but they are a compromise and if you don't plan on seeing any bad weather, I really see no reason to purchase them over any of the OEM Porsche tires.
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:20 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

I just feel bad for your poor LMs driving around in this crap...

I actually drove my car today with the PZero Rossos - I am just being careful in the cold temps. When there is any moisture on the ground, the A3 pulls full duty.
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:59 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I agree completely. I have continental winters and they make my C2 perform very well in snow and ice. I've used M&S before and no comparison. Interestingly my prior Audi S4 with the M&S and quattro was no better than the C2 with the winters.
Old 02-24-2007 | 09:17 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I just feel bad for your poor LMs driving around in this crap...

I actually drove my car today with the PZero Rossos - I am just being careful in the cold temps. When there is any moisture on the ground, the A3 pulls full duty.
In another month, they'll be shod in proper Pilot Sport 2 rubber.
Old 04-19-2007 | 02:39 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBonus
In another month, they'll be shod in proper Pilot Sport 2 rubber.
How do you think the Bridgestones will perform on the track with heavy braking and cornering as compared to the PS2?

If I track my car, is it worth it to spend twice as much for the PS2?
Old 04-19-2007 | 08:19 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdonline
How do you think the Bridgestones will perform on the track with heavy braking and cornering as compared to the PS2?

I have never taken them to the track but would imagine that the Bridgestones would lose grip very quickly considering they are a much harder compound.
Old 05-15-2007 | 09:45 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mdonline

The 960 is NOT a track tire and not intended to be one. No all season tire is. If you take these to a track they will overheat. If you have any intention of seeing a track you need a set of race wheels, or buy summer performance tires.
Old 05-15-2007 | 10:23 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

For a performance all season tire the 960AS is about as good as you will get - IF you understand beforehand that the tires will give up some of their maximum grip in dry conditions to give you grip in colder conditions. They all do. In reading some the above posts it seems that some of you seem to believe that performance all season tires will give you as much dry grip as a summer tire will, which is not true. Please don't be misled. Many people do not want to hassle with changing summer tires out for snow tires and back again twice a year, so they buy all season tires. The rubber compound will offer traction in temperatures below freezing when other tires get too hard, and will offer some light snow traction, but you guys have to keep in mind that that with tires this wide the only thing that really works in the snow is a snow tire. All tires have compromises. Tire features and benefits are relative, and no tire will give you everything.
Old 05-15-2007 | 12:04 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

THanks Damon, I was going to paraphrase your comments!

Where I live Pac NW, it gets routinely into the low 40's, very rarely 30's in the winter daytime hours and even at that temperature Summer high performance tires cannot cope. Since we rarely get snow I am considering these Bridgestones for my "winter tire".
Would you do these or go to a true snow tire? I've used Dunlop M3's in the past on my Bimmer and they are superb, bought at Tire Rack of course!

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE960 All Season - My Review