Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange surging in 1rst and 2nd gears...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

From the symptoms shared here that is a known problem that might be related to having a lower level of fuel on board, but Porsche is still trying to figure it out. One Rennlister actually had some test equipment hooked up to his engine for several days so that special in-flight tests could be conducted when that symptom reappeared. I don't think they have found the solution yet.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Still happens with my car as recently as two weeks ago and none of the techniques mentioned resolve the issue. Eventually it goes away and the joy of owning a 997 comes back.

This is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed. What type of coordinated effort is required to get action?

Link to my original post, which contains links to other stories as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...74&postcount=1
Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by zumaron
Still happens with my car as recently as two weeks ago and none of the techniques mentioned resolve the issue. Eventually it goes away and the joy of owning a 997 comes back.

This is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed. What type of coordinated effort is required to get action?

Link to my original post, which contains links to other stories as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...74&postcount=1
How many have of you w/ this problem have gotten their Porsche factory reps involved?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next week I plan to report my two incidents with the Service advisor for documentation purpose.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Next week I plan to report my two incidents with the Service advisor for documentation purpose.
In addition, owners of 3.6L have reported this issue and 3.8L, so I bet an electronic Kremlin is at fault.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM

You'll serve yourself and others better by reporting it to the Porsche District Service Rep...
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 500
You'll serve yourself and others better by reporting it to the Porsche District Service Rep...
Consider it done... thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 PM

Consider it done... thanks!

Anyone else having this problem needs to do the same, as Porsche USA needs to know and hear about the growing number of customers having it and it's delivered best through the DSM's to them.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem occur twice. Once I was driving on the fwy, 6th gear constant 75mph. It felt like someone was stepping on and off the brake, similar to driveline lash or running out of gas. The next time it happened in the morning from 1st gear through 6th. Each time lasted about 10 minutes.

I called the service advisor and they told me to bring it in. They think it's caused by the software becoming corrupt somehow. He said that they Cars come in a shipping state (max 25mph) and they get reflashed to remove it. I guess there's two ways to flash it. The long way takes an 1 hour to reflash the short way, well, I guess shorter. They reflashed it the long way and I haven't seen the problem come back but I also don't have many miles since the fix. I'll let you know if it comes back.

Quick Reply: Strange surging in 1rst and 2nd gears...