Sponsored by:

washing the car and the little girl next door

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's just that I've been so busy at home with all the remodeling going on that I simply don't have as much free time anymore.

And so the disease of being unclean has spread to my Mini and my wife's car, as I had neglected to wash those in a while as well. I finally got around to cleaning both last weekend and, boy, what a refreshing feeling it is to have clean cars once again.

There is a psychological effect in having a clean car (believe me, I know it well) that makes you treat a pristine clean car as though it were brand new and so you are more careful with it than otherwise. And the more you enjoy that brand new car look, the more you are motivated to keep it that way, and the more you enjoy what you see, the more you enjoy what you do, what you see, do, see, do, see, do.
Good to see your off to a clean start again!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a couple of shots of my previous "clean machine"... Note all the R-comp smudges and about 250 dead bugs. The secrete to post-track clean up? Rain-X brand "Bug and Tar Pre-Wash". Works like a charm!
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2007, 01:50 PM
The B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
so our little girl's friend from next door comes into the backyard, i'm washing the car. she says to me "why are you washing your car?....it doesn't look dirty....you wash your car a lot"

it was the third time since Saturday that i have washed the car. we have had zero rain, it sits in the garage overnight and at work, and i drive 1 mile to work (i do drive it beyond my short commute).

i think i have a problem.

do you?

Ask this girl what her favorite movie is and how many times she has seen it, or ask what her favorite toy is any how many times a week she plays with it. The number will be several.

People learn something new everytime they see the same movie or they do the same hobbie and/or doing the same thing over sometimes for the point of bringing up pleasant feelings...

I think you have a new toy that you are enjoying and are learning about...

Later, I think you will follow the "duster" route between washings, enjoy your passion - it's only offending the persons with dirty cars.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While on the subject of a clean car and "the little girl next door", thought I'd share this story.

At our old place there was this cute little girl that I had come to know the last three years we were there. She was six when I first met her, though I had seen her around at our small condo complex before.

Her scooter had broken down - the handlebar had come loose and she was having a difficult time with it from what I could see from inside my open garage. I asked her to let me have a look at it to see if there was anything I could do. She hesitated at first then brought her broken scooter to see if I could help her. I found a couple washers that would do the trick and repaired the handlebar right there on the garage floor while she looked on with amazement and became suddenly very talkative as I got to know her name, how many brothers and sisters she had, that she was living with her step-mom and dad, etc, etc - way more information than I needed. I also got the impression that she lacked attention at home.

Anyway, since then she was always coming by to say hello and to see what I was doing. If she saw me outside getting the mail she would run over to greet me and talk and talk and talk, as I didn't have the heart to tell her I had to run now. One time she stopped by as I was cleaning the patio and she offered to help and so I let her. She did an excellent job of gathering up the pine needles and I complimented her on the good job she had done. My wife said she had a crush on me and that it showed by her giddiness whenever she saw me and by how she always seemed to make a point of visiting whenever she had on her best clothes and looked her best.

Well, one day after having washed and waxed my baby I went on a quick errand and then returned home. My little friend happened to come over for one of her visits shortly thereafter. My wife told her I was in the garage and so she made a beeline there. She came in and saw my shiny new 997 for the very first time (it had always been covered before and she had never asked about the covered car anyway) and so she was just blown away by its beauty. She goes "Wow, what a shiny car!" and proceeded to run her extended hand over the freshly waxed surface until she reaches the back end and is surprised that it's hot back there and pulls her hand away.

It took all the strength I could muster to keep from telling her not to ever do that again. It was painful. It really was.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:35 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

While on the subject of a clean car and "the little girl next door", thought I'd share this story.

At our old place there was this cute little girl that I had come to know the last three years we were there. She was six when I first met her, though I had seen her around at our small condo complex before.

Her scooter had broken down - the handlebar had come loose and she was having a difficult time with it from what I could see from inside my open garage. I asked her to let me have a look at it to see if there was anything I could do. She hesitated at first then brought her broken scooter to see if I could help her. I found a couple washers that would do the trick and repaired the handlebar right there on the garage floor while she looked on with amazement and became suddenly very talkative as I got to know her name, how many brothers and sisters she had, that she was living with her step-mom and dad, etc, etc - way more information than I needed. I also got the impression that she lacked attention at home.

Anyway, since then she was always coming by to say hello and to see what I was doing. If she saw me outside getting the mail she would run over to greet me and talk and talk and talk, as I didn't have the heart to tell her I had to run now. One time she stopped by as I was cleaning the patio and she offered to help and so I let her. She did an excellent job of gathering up the pine needles and I complimented her on the good job she had done. My wife said she had a crush on me and that it showed by her giddiness whenever she saw me and by how she always seemed to make a point of visiting whenever she had on her best clothes and looked her best.

Well, one day after having washed and waxed my baby I went on a quick errand and then returned home. My little friend happened to come over for one of her visits shortly thereafter. My wife told her I was in the garage and so she made a beeline there. She came in and saw my shiny new 997 for the very first time (it had always been covered before and she had never asked about the covered car anyway) and so she was just blown away by its beauty. She goes "Wow, what a shiny car!" and proceeded to run her extended hand over the freshly waxed surface until she reaches the back end and is surprised that it's hot back there and pulls her hand away.

It took all the strength I could muster to keep from telling her not to ever do that again. It was painful. It really was.

Great story Ben...reminds me of my daughter who is also 6. She loves the "little Porsche" (997S cab) and the "big Porsche" (Cayenne S) and went crazy for the Cars movie with Sally the Carrera. She helps me by cleaning the garage floor and helps clean the wheels. She kisses little Porsche's headlights and also pets her on occasion and gives her hugs. I too experience the same mixed set of emotions, but usually wind up saying what the hell, the car is replaceable and these moments with my daughter are priceless.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by STATMAN
She loves the "little Porsche" (997S cab) and the "big Porsche" (Cayenne S) and went crazy for the Cars movie with Sally the Carrera. She helps me by cleaning the garage floor and helps clean the wheels. She kisses little Porsche's headlights and also pets her on occasion and gives her hugs. I too experience the same mixed set of emotions, but usually wind up saying what the hell, the car is replaceable and these moments with my daughter are priceless.
You bet they are!

That was funny to read that she kisses "little Porsche's" headlights and pets her on occasion and gives her hugs. That is absolutely priceless!!! I'll have to tell my wife about that, she'll get a kick out of hearing that.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:54 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

You bet they are!

That was funny to read that she kisses "little Porsche's" headlights and pets her on occasion and gives her hugs. That is absolutely priceless!!! I'll have to tell my wife about that, she'll get a kick out of hearing that.
Yes, it is priceless...warms my heart everytime. I do have to admit, though, that I have done some "redirecting" here and there...notice how I have tried to steer her toward kissing and touching the headlights and helping me clean the wheels rather than painted surfaces!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by STATMAN
...notice how I have tried to steer her toward kissing and touching the headlights and helping me clean the wheels rather than painted surfaces!
You're a smart dad!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Ahhh, I would have bitch slapped her little ***.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Your stories have warmed my heart as well.
My little gir just turned 4 months.
I can't wait to have these experiences with her. She will for sure be a Porsche nut. The car is just an object that can be replaced. I've realized this much more since having her.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
Ahhh, I would have bitch slapped her little ***.
LOL ... She was too cute for that.

I was actually afraid of saying something and realizing it just wouldn't come out right no matter how I worded it. She would have realized it was a no-no and would have felt bad for doing it, and may have been too embarrassed by it to ever stop by again.

I couldn't see losing the friendship I had with my little friend over fingerprints on the car.

But I remember distinctly the strong impulse I had to say something.

Quick Reply: washing the car and the little girl next door