Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spike Strips!! How no good deed goes....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spike Strips!! How no good deed goes....

UNPUNISHED!!!..... So I responded earlier today to a thread by new user "ozcav" asking if someone could look at a 997S at Rusnak in Pasadena. Being that I had to visit one of my projects just a few blocks away I stopped by Rusnak on my way home. I drove down their used car lane between 2 buildings but I didn't see the car. So I turned around and drove slowly back down the narrow lane while looking into the showroom windows on the passenger side. I though I saw something white inside so I slowed down as I was almost to the street. While still squinting at the showroom I felt a bump and assumed it was the track for their sliding steel gate across the driveway. WRONG! It was a spike strip across the driveway with big, red warning signs that I somehow completely missed or ignored. One of my fronts made it through unscathed, but the other front caught one spike while the rears caught 2 and 3 spikes respectively. I looked up to see what must have been the entire staff of Rusnak's looking out the window in horror. A very nice saleman named Sam came rushing out and said when they saw me heading back down the driveway several people started yelling through the glass for me to stop, but of course my skull was just too thick to hear....

So, I called auto club who towed my car to a nearby tire shop where they removed the tires and installed 6 patches from the inside. Obviously I won't be taking these tires down the freeway at 100, but they should be OK for the street for a few weeks while I decided which rims I want for the car. I'll get a set of PS2's then. I've owned the car for about 2 months and put on about 700 miles bringing the total to 6k. Murphy's Law indeed!

BTW "OZCAV" the car is still flawless looking, it has 10k miles. If you're interested call SAM, he was very helpful to me.....
Old 02-10-2007, 05:18 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it okay that I laugh at your misfortune? Because I feel bad doing so, especially after helping out a fellow Rennlister.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel really bad for you, sounds like you took it well but I am so sorry.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Is it okay that I laugh at your misfortune? Because I feel bad doing so, especially after helping out a fellow Rennlister.
Please laugh away. I called my son in Wash.DC and he's still cracking up. Called me a "Stimpy" which I believe is a cartoon character of questionable intellengence.....

BTW Ian, how are the H & R's? I ordered a set last week though I'm concerned about them in lieu of the thread about shock damage. How many miles have you put on them and are they still OK? I also ordered aerosport front bumper cover which arrived yesterday. I'm not sure I'll be able to get into my garage with those springs and the lower lip but we'll see. I'm also considering the LM's which look perfect on your car...
Old 02-10-2007, 06:28 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Please laugh away. I called my son in Wash.DC and he's still cracking up. Called me a "Stimpy" which I believe is a cartoon character of questionable intellengence.....

BTW Ian, how are the H & R's? I ordered a set last week though I'm concerned about them in lieu of the thread about shock damage. How many miles have you put on them and are they still OK? I also ordered aerosport front bumper cover which arrived yesterday. I'm not sure I'll be able to get into my garage with those springs and the lower lip but we'll see. I'm also considering the LM's which look perfect on your car...
I have approximately 10,000 miles on them and haven't had a problem (Including in the snow - I daily drive my baby). The PASM works strong and hard on SPORT and NORMAL and the difference in ride quality from stock is negligible except when you're on really bad pavement.

As long as you have a capable installer, I doubt you'll have any issue with them.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My car has H&Rs on them as well. I have about 6k miles on mine. Ride is slightly firmer.

I like 'em.

Sorry about your tires.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 PM
bonesmd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Down here in the South that is worthy of a big ole "BLESS YOUR HEART"
Old 02-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

JR - that is such a sad story. Glad you got things 'patched' up.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
UNPUNISHED!!!..... So I responded earlier today to a thread by new user "ozcav" asking if someone could look at a 997S at Rusnak in Pasadena. Being that I had to visit one of my projects just a few blocks away I stopped by Rusnak on my way home. I drove down their used car lane between 2 buildings but I didn't see the car. So I turned around and drove slowly back down the narrow lane while looking into the showroom windows on the passenger side. I though I saw something white inside so I slowed down as I was almost to the street. While still squinting at the showroom I felt a bump and assumed it was the track for their sliding steel gate across the driveway. WRONG! It was a spike strip across the driveway with big, red warning signs that I somehow completely missed or ignored. One of my fronts made it through unscathed, but the other front caught one spike while the rears caught 2 and 3 spikes respectively. I looked up to see what must have been the entire staff of Rusnak's looking out the window in horror. A very nice saleman named Sam came rushing out and said when they saw me heading back down the driveway several people started yelling through the glass for me to stop, but of course my skull was just too thick to hear....

So, I called auto club who towed my car to a nearby tire shop where they removed the tires and installed 6 patches from the inside. Obviously I won't be taking these tires down the freeway at 100, but they should be OK for the street for a few weeks while I decided which rims I want for the car. I'll get a set of PS2's then. I've owned the car for about 2 months and put on about 700 miles bringing the total to 6k. Murphy's Law indeed!

BTW "OZCAV" the car is still flawless looking, it has 10k miles. If you're interested call SAM, he was very helpful to me.....

Sorry to hear that JR. At least on the bright side you'll have brand spanking new PS2's soon!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:09 PM
ozcav
Instructor

I feel terrible that this happened. On the upside, as a new user I have to say that the support from this forum has been overwhelming. And, greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ozcav
I feel terrible that this happened. On the upside, as a new user I have to say that the support from this forum has been overwhelming. And, greatly appreciated.
Okay, good. Now go buy the darn car already and stop playing around ...
Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Wow. Steel spikes on a dealer's lot!!! That's awful. Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Signs or not I would hope the dealer would be helpful in getting you tires at cost or at least mounting them. I'd be embarassed to no end if I was the GM having to resort to spikes for security ...
Old 02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Signs or not I would hope the dealer would be helpful in getting you tires at cost or at least mounting them.
That is a pretty good point I'd have to agree... Did you talk to them at all? Did they offer?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks....
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Wow. Steel spikes on a dealer's lot!!! That's awful. Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Signs or not I would hope the dealer would be helpful in getting you tires at cost or at least mounting them. I'd be embarassed to no end if I was the GM having to resort to spikes for security ...
+2
Just make an appeal, I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out.

Quick Reply: Spike Strips!! How no good deed goes....