Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the story on this car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe she is legit........looks like it is ready to ship!?!

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

there are ads like this all the time on Cars.com and Autotrader.com. I was seriously considering a 2004 M3 last year that was up for $28000. The responses were almost identical. man, i hate scammers and theives.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

When I advertised to sell my 540i, one scammer sent me a REAL cashier's check for $28000.
The catch was.....I was to send back the extra $6000 (can't remember exact amount)...
I knew all along...but decided to play along. I tested him by "admitting" to him that my bimmer was actually in a wreck before and repainted, the engine was dying and a whole long list of stuff. Since it was for his "client", he and I could just ignore that part and it was a win-win for us.
Well, guess what...that didn't bother him, he still sent me the check.

I took the check to my bank, and the manager couldn't tell if it was a fake. She said it looked all real, and suggested I could opt to deposit it, all I had to lose was a $5 fee if it bounced. Guess what...I didn't even want to lose the $5. I still have the check for souvenir.

I suspect they have someone working inside the bank who stole the real blank cashier's checks and print out the details & figures themselves. The scammer was in England (American bank check sent from England), but his affiliate has an address here in the States.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Tell her you will buy it and will send her a check for $100k and to send a Western Union back to you for the differecne.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:41 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jakeman
How do they get passwords? They use pfishing in some cases. I've received twice in the past 4 weeks an email that looks totally real, someone wanting information on an item I had listed. --Except the link is to a bogus site. You can tell these are fake sites because the crucial link to respond to is not an ebay site. You have to start off from a suspicious perspective because they basically have duplicated a typical ebay email enquiry. It even has the legitimate links about fraud on it!! So, an unsuspecting person can easily provide their ebay password. I forwarded it on to ebay...
This is exactly how it's done.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I too reported this sale to ebay.
Here is their reply:

Dear eBay Member,

The items recently listed with this account were the result of an
unauthorized account takeover. We were not aware of this activity until
after the listings appeared on the site.

As soon as we became aware that an unauthorized person took over this
account, we reacted immediately to resolve the problem. We are currently
in the process of restoring the account to its true owner.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 AM
mtv65
Advanced

Funny...these guys must be the same ones from a Nigerian bank and ever since my wife and I came back from Europe, an English bank or the British Lottery since I've been getting notices from the 3 above mentioned establishments ;-). Letters from both banks concerning a wealthy businessman and/or president who passed away recently and apparently has no heirs and needing a US bank account to transfer $$$ to (mine preferably). Oh, and supposedly I'd won the Lottery in London and MUST respond right away. What a buncha clowns!! Unfortunately, there are people out there that fall for this non-sense. Rule #1 CYA...live by it ;-).
Old 02-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtv65
Funny...these guys must be the same ones from a Nigerian bank and ever since my wife and I came back from Europe, an English bank or the British Lottery since I've been getting notices from the 3 above mentioned establishments ;-). Letters from both banks concerning a wealthy businessman and/or president who passed away recently and apparently has no heirs and needing a US bank account to transfer $$$ to (mine preferably). Oh, and supposedly I'd won the Lottery in London and MUST respond right away. What a buncha clowns!! Unfortunately, there are people out there that fall for this non-sense. Rule #1 CYA...live by it ;-).

This really bums me out, I really thought I was the only one who was found through an internet search and that my character and honesty was most sought after.....Damn it!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
I too reported this sale to ebay.
Here is their reply:

Dear eBay Member,

The items recently listed with this account were the result of an
unauthorized account takeover. We were not aware of this activity until
after the listings appeared on the site.

As soon as we became aware that an unauthorized person took over this
account, we reacted immediately to resolve the problem. We are currently
in the process of restoring the account to its true owner.

I reported it too... no response fro m eBay and the listing is still there as of 5 minutes ago
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a great article in the New Yorker last year about a professional guy who was duped by those "Nigerian" scammers. The tale was that he was helping someone in distress; it wasn't a get rich quick scheme. He served as a money launderer and also gave up lots of cash in the process. Now he will probably go to jail. ...and the saddest thing? He still thinks he did the right thing.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Run Forest RUN!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

How do you think I bought my cabriolet with cash? I offered to work with a half dozen of these poor, unfortunate heir-less Nigerian businessmen and women! I became a miliionaire nearly overnight!

They just kept sending me money! It was better than a chain letter!

Signed: Alfred E. Neuman
Old 02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Signed: Alfred E. Neuman
So this is what people mean when they talk about "mad money."
Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

You know Cosmo I had the same thing happen to me when I was selling my wifes car...I knew about the scam though and played it all the way thru....they actually mailed me a cashier check overnight by fedex......The check looked real...and that is where the problem is....the bank will accept it and later decline it as a fake. The problem is that they mail you more money than they owe you and you got to directly western union the difference back!! The guy even called me long distance from Nigeria...this is when I told to F off...that I knew about his scam and that he just lost 80 bucks or so..mailing the cashiers check overnite!! But I saw on TV that a lot of people actually fall for these scams....

rule: If it sounds/looks to good to be true......I probably is!!

Quick Reply: What's the story on this car?