Sponsored by:

Fog Lights as Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bdmason
Sorry it is a halogen H8 . The rear fog is just one light but it's the same as the brake light P21/4w The brake light brightens when you step on the brake . I assume the foglight will when you pull the switch . My problem Is that only one side gets bright and I am positive it's not the bulb.

See my previous post and Edgy's - there is only ONE rear fog lamp on the driver's side - strange but true
Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too just use the fog lights on front as DTRL. A whole lot cheaper to replace an H8 bulb than burning the bi-xenons even at reduced wattage. No need to use the bi-xenons, the fog lights work fine for me.

You can even get brighter H8 bulbs to match the bi-xenons if you want.

Xenon Match H8 bulbs

Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Post Speechless

Are you sayin that what I see is what it's supposed to be? The drivers side rear fog light is the only one of the 2 that brightens. How did you come to the conclusion there was only one rear, I'm curious ,( i'm not questioning you) PS lmao If you only knew how long I spent tryin to fix a problem that never existed. Thanks Jhbrennan
Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

We covered this in brief once before, for the USA market (and Germany, and many others) only one rear fog light is supplied. The UK market employs two. I believe the logic behind the 1 vice 2 question comes down to keeping tail gaters in thick fog from confusing a set of two bright rear lights (brakes!) from a single bright light (rear fog). Years ago when traveling up for an early flight out of Amsterdam I was particularly happy to see so many people had rear fogs on their cars! It really helps.

Recently I got pulled over in California by a very courteous CHP who told me that I had a light out. I quickly realized that I had accidently selected the rear fog on detent,--and turned it off, satisfying his curiousity. (I think he was curious about the odd plates and the odd car, as well; I'm still awaiting my Calif plates and have left the tourist del. plates on).
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
I too just use the fog lights on front as DTRL. A whole lot cheaper to replace an H8 bulb than burning the bi-xenons even at reduced wattage. No need to use the bi-xenons, the fog lights work fine for me.

You can even get brighter H8 bulbs to match the bi-xenons if you want.

Xenon Match H8 bulbs

Regards,
Deanski
Unfortunately I think DRL are at full power not reduced - that's why I turned mine off. I think I tested them in the garage and the was no cange from DRL brightness when I turned the headlamps on.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Unfortunately I think DRL are at full power not reduced - that's why I turned mine off. I think I tested them in the garage and the was no cange from DRL brightness when I turned the headlamps on.
You're right, I thought they were lowered, but I stand corrected. Thanks!

Anyway, I don't use them. I just use the fogs for now. I do not use the rear single fog unless it's, well, foggy. I always get someone who thinks the light has a problem. Most Audi and others have the same one rear drivers side light that is brighter when on rear fog. On some, they use a single seperate light (Audi).

In any event, the fog lamps are enough for DTRL in my opinion.

One day, I have to change these to the new Xenon match H8's just to brighten them up a bit more.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Deanski: I got the 'match H8's. There's no wattage change - he justs adjusts the color spectrum to better color-match the Bi-xenon main lamps - only comparable when both are on. Amp up the wattage; you're likely to melt something. ..done that already on another car.

...got the clear/yellows for the sides too.. but the best ones were the little license plate lamps. They really change color to a nice blue/white. $12.

Mason: Like others have said - it's only the LH. My Canadian Mercedes (better exchange rates) has the same thing. Canadians also require DLRs and I can't imaging driving any color but Yellow without. ...it just my wife doesn't pay attention to the difference between one pull and two. Like, cruise control, Mercs handle this function better also. Porsche needs an 'intuitive' advisor.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights as Daytime Running Lights?