Sponsored by:

Ruf R Kompressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ruf R Kompressor

Hiya... visitor from the 993/993 Turbo boards.

I was wandering if anyone either owns or has driven the RUF R Kompressor? Any opinons? What's it like? It seems to be the best example of the everyday 'uber-997' wthout going down the turbo-charging route...

So... personal experiences... always interested...
Old 01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm waiting on a friend who went the RUF way with his new Cayman S (he picked his up at the factory the day before I picked up my 911s). The reports will be forthcoming I suspect!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I'm waiting on a friend who went the RUF way with his new Cayman S (he picked his up at the factory the day before I picked up my 911s). The reports will be forthcoming I suspect!
Which one? They do quite a few - 3.8l conversion, X51 conversion, or full-out 3.8l Kompressor...
Old 01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

He didn't go to the extreme. He had the normal Cayman S engine s/c-ed. In fact, I believe it is their first to that particular engine. It's taking some time to sort out. It's been with them since June 06. RUF,--they won't release a car until it's all sorted out.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Nice! I have to say, I bought into the whole RUF myth years ago... now that I'm considering a 997 (either as well as/instead of the 993 - long story), I'm looking at getting on the first rung of the RUF ladder... wish my finances would stretch to an RT12, but I'll have to wait a while for that.

Should be getting the price-list tomorrow, so I'll be able to see if its an attainable goal...

Interesting about the Cayman... why didn't he just go for a 3.8l conversion - he could have had the car back in a few weeks...
Old 01-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Joe is a good friend of Alois and wants this for some minor racing. I think he just wanted to go the S/C route.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:16 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
(either as well as/instead of the 993 - long story)
better be "as well as"... this mistress you have is for life mate... If I were you I'd marry her.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by dianic
better be "as well as"... this mistress you have is for life mate... If I were you I'd marry her.
It's a long story... the 993 is my soul-mate, but the pedal offset (RHD) is killing me, and putting me on a standing-order with my chyropracter...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/325978-question-for-rhd-993-owners.html

I'm still trying to find a solution, but I doubt I will, so I'm looking at other options (many include keeping the 993 - although I'm still desperately trying to find a reason - the word 'investment', totally unrealistically, keeps being bandied around)...

I just find the 997s a bit mass produced and soul-less, and not that special (OK, I've been spoiled with my 993). That is not to say they're not amazing cars - they are!!! It's just that some of that 'uniqueness' in each and every one has been diluted by new materials, production methods and numbers. Even the GT3 is relatively common, and i believe that'll have a terrible effect on residuals of all 997 models. Hell, I couldn't get a GT3 anyway as there's a year waitlist, and surprisingly, I use the rear seats regularly... sorry to my friends who have to endure them

Maybe a RUF could fix that right up on all counts...

Last edited by urban_alchemist; 01-28-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I remember when they mass produced the 993, too.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Bones 997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this on Amazon.com:

Speed Secrets: Professional Race Driving Techniques (Speed Secrets) (Paperback)
by Ross Bentley

The first chapter describes how Dr. Brock Walker built a seat for Buddy Lazier (who was badly injured shortly before) and he went on the win the Indy 500 in 1996.

With regard to your low back pain, and I don't intend to open a can of worms here, Chiropractic treatment can help in the short term for acute low back pain but after a couple of months seems not to provide any benefit over conventional physical therapy (MacKenzie exercises). This is an abstract from a journal:

Growing interest in complementary and alternative medicine in the United States has been paralleled by increased use of spinal manipulative therapy in an attempt to manage symptoms of low back pain, spinal stenosis, and spondylolisthesis. Chiropractors have been the main practitioners of spinal manipulative therapy, with osteopaths and physical therapists providing a smaller fraction of these services. Theories explaining the mode of action of spinal manipulative therapy are largely preliminary and have focused on the mechanical effects of manipulative forces on the spine and neurologic responses to manipulation. The effects of spinal manipulation on patients with both acute and chronic low back pain have been investigated in randomized clinical trials. Most reviews of these trials indicate that spinal manipulative therapy provides some short-term benefit to patients, especially with acute low back pain.

J Am Acad Orthop Surg, Vol 11, No 4, July/August 2003, 228-237.

Though conventional medicine has nothing better to offer, the money may be better spent on getting the seat/driving position equation figured out.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Urby (!) did you try the seat shift proposal? How did that work?
I am not sure you will find a recaro'd car in the UK... Seems like too much of a longshot. Post on the 993 forum, doesnt have to be a Turbo...
I am gobsmacked. Never thought that would be an issue... What a car to let go.

Have you thought of looking for a LHD like yours? with rediculous low mileage? Smiling. I know its a bit of a longshot, but I did go down that path. I had come up with THIS recently but the car was sold when I called... and then I went into 997 category... I know its not a TTS but 23,000 kms... sweet.

Anyway, good luck, tell us how the seat shift goes. I hope it works. I really do!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Edgy: I'm not disrespecting the 997 - hell, I love the 997! It's just that, for me, it doesn't have that intangible quality that makes the 993 feel so special.

Dianic: Two things happened when I twisted the seat - 1. The runners jammed. 2. The angle wasn't sufficient to make much of a difference, and I found myself at a very odd angle with the steering wheel. I'll have to admit that I didn't drive with it like that, as I simple wasn't happy with what was happening. Looking with my P-guy tomorrow at any other possible alternatives.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Did you see the link to the blue car?

Quick Reply: Ruf R Kompressor