Sponsored by:

Had a bad day...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
bonesmd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a bad day...

My 16 year old son just had "Dad,the worst day of my life". He was driving to school when his backpack fell out of the front seat of his car.As he grabbed for the backpack he ,of course, forgot about driving.He veered off the road and clipped a tree(fortunately in his Jeep--not a P car). The Jeep was still driveable so he went on to school.When he got there he realized he had forgotten to bring his shoes!!I have suggested(many times)that he get dressed before he leaves home but he knows better of course. He decides to attempt school in his socks and as fate would have it EVERYBODY notices!"hey dude,aren't you supposed to like wear shoes like to school or somethin?" The teachers and principal(who he ran into at the front door--omg) gave him a pass because of the wreck.Well except for his speech teacher who yelled at him in front of everyone "for nothing". Then he gets his chemistry grade back and he made a 50!! Anybody have a worse day than that?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

he hit a tree out of neglince .........he didnt get hurt.........he didint kill any body and he didnt get a ticket ..........sounds like a goodstart to the day to me
he didnt have any shoes........everybody laughed at him but he didnt get sent home and he didnt step on broken glass in the parking lot......still sounding pretty lucky
he got a 50 on a test............so he should study more thats not a bad day.........thats incentive to no be a slacker.

over all id consider that a damn fine day
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

No offense, but he may be in for more bad times in the future if he can't even remember to wear shoes when he leaves his house. And a 50 on a high-school chemistry class? Don't they give you a 60 just for showing up?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

C'mon guys, you're missing the point entirely.

His intent was to share with us a little slice of his personal life as a parent, as his son just experienced the worst day of his young life. I know at 16 I hadn't experienced anything that bad.

The story is actually a comedy of errors and I'm sure he'll laugh at it when he and his dad recount the story in a few years over a beer together. And he'll probably bust out laughing over the part where he forgot his shoes and was attending classes in his socks. That will certainly be a memorable story for years to come, and may get him honorable mention in his school's yearbook in a section called "remember when" or something like that.

The little minor accident was a good lesson on paying attention to his driving above all else. It may well save his life later on. His forgetting his shoes - I bet it won't happen again. His ego was bruised a little but he'll bounce back I'm sure and develop a good sense of humor for the little mishaps that happen to us in life.

Thanks for sharing the story, Bones Dr.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If this was Alabama in the 1930s I don't see the problem...
Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank God he's OK, but consider this a warning call. Sounds like too many "issues" here to just write it off as a comedy of errors or a bad day. Check your PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Dro
Instructor

I feel for your son. Heres a story to make you feel a little bit better...

This was about 7 years ago when I was 17. I was taking summer school to get ahead so i could slack off on my senior year of HS. All my friends went to this school, it was real small and everyone knew everyone. It was more of a social gathering then a school. Anyway. One night there is a party and my friend ends up getting wasted and wakes up the next morning in his house and goes outside to get in his car to go to summer school and low and behold his '89 Volvo wagon (the Silver Bullet) is not there. So he recalls that he might have left his keys in the door at a local hangout spot the night before so someone must have stole his car. Being belligerently drunk he walked home without remembering.
He reports the car stolen to the police and gets a ride to school. He proceeds to tell everyone that his car got stolen and that was the great gossip of the day.
Heres the embarrassing part...
He gets a call that afternoon from a girlfriend asking when is he going to pick up his car from her house!! He left the car at her house because he was too drunk to drive and walked literally 5 miles down PCH back to his house.
The next day at school he had to tell everyone, including the teachers and the police, that the car wasn't actually stolen...he just forgot he left it at his friends house!!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just had the first of the new series of Top Gear here in England; Hamster's crash...... Now THAT'S a bad day.......

(How soon can you watch this show in the US?)
Old 01-28-2007, 05:03 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense but it sounds like you may be enabling this kid too much and his screw ups are a result. Detach yourself a bit and let him discover the hard way what the real world is all about. Anyway, it's your choice and I'm sorry that you have to feel the brunt of this. Things will be better providing he starts using his noggin. Glad it wasn't more serious.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At least he is OK. We have all been 16 and not payed attention to things we should have been. Just tell him no matter what happens while he is driving, "driving" is first priority. The back pack, CD, drink, will be fine.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It reminds of of flight school. First and foremost, FLY THE AIRCRAFT. Then navigate, and then deal with the other issues. Kids usually have difficulty multitasking because that comes with time.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Snoopy
Racer

He's lucky that he didn't hurt himself or someone else by not paying attention while driving. I'm a fairly avid road cyclist and I really worry about getting hit by a driver that's not paying attention. There was a situation on the news here maybe a month ago where a guy reached down to grab something, jumped a curb and took out a mom and a kid at a bus stop.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that the one that happened here in Orange County? I think there were a couple of similar situations in the last month or so. ... The case in OC was where the driver dropped his cell phone or was making a call I believe. ... And the father wants to sue the city for not having barriers on bus stops.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Is that the one that happened here in Orange County? I think there were a couple of similar situations in the last month or so. ... The case in OC was where the driver dropped his cell phone or was making a call I believe. ... And the father wants to sue the city for not having barriers on bus stops.
Yep, I believe that's the one. Re suing the City -- I used to work for a firm that did quite a bit of municipal law (we represented the cities) and people always go after the city.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

"Pretty Good Day" by Loudon Wainwright -- Written I believe during and about the Bosnian war. Kind of puts stuff in perspective for me.

I slept through the night, I got through to the dawn
I flipped a switch and the light went on
I got out of bed and I put some clothes on
Its a pretty good day so far

I turned the tap, there was cold there was hot
I put on my coat to go to the shop
I stepped outside, and I didnt get shot

I didnt hear any sirens or explosions
No murders coming in form those heavy guns
No UN tanks, I didnt see one