Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts
Default I'd prefer an option with no rear seats...

Of course, that means a GT3 but it would be nice if you could buy an 'S' with rear seat delete. Has anyone done this through the exclusive dept (rather than local)? If they would do it, it wouldn't be cheap.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
rfedele
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
A Britax or similar with armrests & removable back works. Once child is 40" take the back off to transform into a booster. Works will in a 997. Don't get the biggest carseat available, to avoid overhang underneath. Move the front seats forward if they have a hard backing.
For all those parents out there. I just bought the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster seat because it was advertised as narrow. Fits very well (not 100%) in the front or back seats of the 997. Well made and sturdy.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is there a booster seat that will fit the back 100% or close? I have a 4 year old.
I've seen a few posts here noting having kids this age in back w/o boosters, but isn't that illegal, even if perceived safe? I need to find a solution - does Porsche offer one? Thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Tone
So is there a booster seat that will fit the back 100% or close? I have a 4 year old.
I've seen a few posts here noting having kids this age in back w/o boosters, but isn't that illegal, even if perceived safe? I need to find a solution - does Porsche offer one? Thanks
Front or back, they must be in a booster until a certain age and weight. At least 10 yrs old and 80 lbs but each could be higher.

The Fisher Price Safe Zoyage fits really well and is the nest I've seen and tried several. Its only minor flaw is its sides press against the side bolster only for a few inches as it meets the back rest. Hardly a concern but if it sat on the seats all the time I could imagine it causing a crease.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
eyeslasher1
Instructor

Is the 997 rear seat significantly more roomy than the 993?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

No, not significantly more roomy. However my kids have been riding back there since they were 2 and 4 in car seats in a 993, now 8 and 10 in a 997 and they are fine even for multi-hour trips. They always ask if we can go in the rollercoaster car when we go somewhere together.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterS
No, not significantly more roomy. However my kids have been riding back there since they were 2 and 4 in car seats in a 993, now 8 and 10 in a 997 and they are fine even for multi-hour trips. They always ask if we can go in the rollercoaster car when we go somewhere together.

LOL..for my 3 and 5 yr. old it's "Daddy's Vroom Car".

Dave
Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dianic
Well I have more of an issue as I have 3... smiling. So the two boys sit in the back (4 and 7) and love it, and my daughter who is 9 sits on mom at the front. As this is quite risky, its noth something I do often, and only for short distance...
But then again Porsche was not purchased as a family car... Porblem is I dont want to drive anything else to our Sunday lunches...
*Note to self* need to get that Cayenne in the budget soon....

I know this is an old post..but this is a $1k child endangerment ticket in most of the US. I was shocked how Europe and Japan is so cavalier about child seats. Especially Japan...kids in cars just jumping around and such.

Dave
Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

I agree to the above. My 8 y/o has been riding in the back of daddy's P-car since he was 6 y/o and his now 6/yo daughter enjoys the ride right beside him. I forsee this being okay until junior High hopefully! LOL It does however really save mileage and gas on my SUV as well as me having to come home and switch out vehicles as I often have pickup duty from school!

U shouldn't have a problem...

Rob
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Cool to see so many future Porsche-philes being made here.

And some people get highly insulting when I say my dream car is a 997 GT3 with rear seats.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I agree to the above. My 8 y/o has been riding in the back of daddy's P-car since he was 6 y/o and his now 6/yo daughter enjoys the ride right beside him.

(yes, it is pretty easy to figure out what you meant, but still a little funny )
Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
LOL..for my 3 and 5 yr. old it's "Daddy's Vroom Car".

Dave
For our 2 and 3 year olds it is the "Cool Car"--they love the sound of the PSE and constantly ask to go faster.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 AM
TheOldMan
Advanced

The 911 is a great family car. My son has been riding in the back since he was two (now 4). He is currently in the Britax StairRiser and it fits perfectly. We have another child on the way and we intend to install a car seat for him/her next summer.

My son absolutely loves the Porsche. There is something about these cars resonates with young and old boys. Our family drives are a lot of fun in this car. I would not of purchased the car if it did not have the rear seats. IMO, the rear seats are very useable by children and small adults in a pinch.

The cabrio's have rear seats that are less friendly to car seats; the back is too vertical when there is a car seat installed.

The only issue we have had with children in the back is car sickness. The car can corner faster than a childs stomach can tolerate. We keep a 'barf' bag close at hand in case of trouble. So far the bag has saved the car a number of times.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOldMan
The 911 is a great family car. My son has been riding in the back since he was two (now 4). He is currently in the Britax StairRiser and it fits perfectly. We have another child on the way and we intend to install a car seat for him/her next summer.

My son absolutely loves the Porsche. There is something about these cars resonates with young and old boys. Our family drives are a lot of fun in this car. I would not of purchased the car if it did not have the rear seats. IMO, the rear seats are very useable by children and small adults in a pinch.

The cabrio's have rear seats that are less friendly to car seats; the back is too vertical when there is a car seat installed.

The only issue we have had with children in the back is car sickness. The car can corner faster than a childs stomach can tolerate. We keep a 'barf' bag close at hand in case of trouble. So far the bag has saved the car a number of times.
I'm looking at buying a 2006 997 Coupe. I have a 4 month old that won't be able to ride in the car unless I can mount the rear facing car seat in the front passenger seat and switch off the air bag. The 996 required a special buckle to shut off the air bag (I seem to recall). Does the 997 still require this assembly or is there another way to shut off the air bag when the car seat is in place?

When I transfer my daughter to the rear seat at age 2+, is there a forward facing seat that will fit nicely? Has to be safe too! A link would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
rfedele
Racer

My 07 has the passenger seat airbag sensor based on weight and shuts off auto when the kids are there. I think it became std on the 06.

I have the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster seat because it was advertised as narrow. Fits very well (not 100%) in the front or back seats of the 997. Well made and sturdy.

Quick Reply: 997 Rear Seats