Sponsored by:

Center Grill Opening

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 AM
GWD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Center Grill Opening

Anyone with a Tip or powerkit have any damage issues with the center radiator? It seems that with the large center inlet, short distance to the road and no grill mesh there could be the possibility for rocks, debris, etc creating problems. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES! The biggest problem is this unfinished aluminum radiator BEAMING out from the opening. (new car only 80 miles so far.) Planned Mod is to fabricate a wire mesh grill in black say 3/8" sq with trim rim and paint the alum with a light mist coat of black engine paint. Very unsightly, and yes it does seem to be a bit exposed to road debis.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
The B
Racer

The wire mesh for 997 standard front end is avaliable from Cargraphics, I'm considering it to keep out debris, it's amazing what gets stuck in the openings.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There are conflicting solutions with that. First, the grills do tend to collect everything, from leaves, cig. butts, to small dead animals (birds). If you elect to put some sort of grill work over them to 'filter out' the big stuff, make allowances in your design for easily getting inside them periodically for the stuff that still gets through.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 PM
GWD
Rennlist Member

The B. Do you know if the Cargraphics piece an easy on/off? Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GWD
The B. Do you know if the Cargraphics piece an easy on/off? Thanks
AFAIK, you have to take off the bumper area to get the screens on. Cargraphics screens are made for the regular front end and not the Aerokit.

Here's the link: Cargraphic screens

You may be able to install the screens by removing the lower cover under the bumper if this has access, but since I never took my lower cover off, I'm not sure. Would male it easy to install and clean you'd think!

I know FarnbacherLoles also does ones for Aerokit front ends and each can be powder-coated any color. This is also my next item to install, damn front end picks up leaves like mad!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I believe the Cargraphic screens keep you from getting your fingers in there for the little stuff. Effectively blocking access. I'm sure Porsche went through all this thinking as well. Protect it or expose it? What's most important is something that keeps vulnerable parts from damage (e.g., small projectile rocks) and the knowledge that these areas need to be looked at periodically.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have the center with my X-51 kit - yea stuff get's in there but I just clean it when I need too...

Would rather keep the opening as Porsche desgined it...
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a 2006 C2S Tip and yes the center radiator get dinged up some. I have thought long and hard about some wire mesh grills. I actually like the racey look the wire mesh grills give but there is no way to clean out sand, snall rocks and so forth. If there was I'd do the mod. You can straighten out the little radiator fins pretty easy with the correct screwdriver.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5600 miles so far, and lots of leaves, etc get in there, but no fin damage.

I was seriously thinking of the Cargraphic grilles, which I believe have less airflow restriction than the Farnbacher-Loles grilles. The concern for how to get stuff out that gets through the grilles is what has caused me to hold off for now.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:30 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

They actually sell a tool to straighten out the tweked raditor fins...

Keep it as "God" (Porsche) intended it..

Old 01-26-2007, 08:22 AM
GWD
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably keep it open and see what I can collect... But first I have to make it through the dreaded waiting period; build date March.........
Old 01-27-2007, 12:56 AM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by GWD
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably keep it open and see what I can collect... But first I have to make it through the dreaded waiting period; build date March.........

Just showed back up...glad Deanski could help. I need to learn how to attach address to the reply section...I'm doing mesh as soon as I know if I'm keeping this car.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:59 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Try this site. There are a couple of type grills
to choose from.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm

Paul
Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Unless you are doing a lot of track days with your car I would leave it as Porsche has it. For a street purposes when leaves or snow build up on a screen you run a greater risk of complete blockage and heating issues than if they just fall in there, but at least some air would be getting to the radiator.

Quick Reply: Center Grill Opening