Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nordic Gold Targa @ Detroit Auto Show pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm familiar with the 350Z color, it's a dark metallic orange. This Nordic is far more of a dark metallic gold in person (my camera rarely gets reflective colors right!).
Old 01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
rurella
3rd Gear

Didn't mean to offend. As I said, I did see it in person (N.H. dealer and outside). It did look to me and others like a color we had seen or would expect to see on a Z, not a Porsche. I agree with an old post that this color will not be popular or around long. See it before you order it (just a suggestion).
Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The person at the dealer I spoke with said that Nordic Gold was chosen by a design team, partly to stand out and be a unique color and partly to stand out against the rocky nature background used in the web-special (which was taken in New Zealand). So perhaps this is an example of a design team getting carried away. The color is very trendy, by the way, but my observation (so far) is that that most P-car buyers in the US are not the trendy type. (Not trying to be insulting at all- this is just my observation.) I bet this color will do better in other countries.

EDIT

Let me rephrase this- the people on this forum like Porsches because of the driving experience, including the mechanics and mechatronics. The 997 body style is popular here because it is somewhat retro and reminiscent of the (now) classic 993. The Nordic Gold is trendy, and seems to be Porsche's attempt to market the Targa towards a more "trendy" crowd. The whole Targa concept is somewhat trendy, if you think about it. (Looks slick, provides a nice visual driving experience, but is not as physically tight for high-performance driving.) This color may do pretty well among that target market, especially among those who don't care about resale etc.

Just my humble opinion. No intention to offend anyone!!

Last edited by geof; 01-21-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had a handful or so of 911s over the years. Some models are .... well, less beautific than others IMO.

Targas have never been at the top of my list of "must have" P-cars. They still aren't. Cabs seem to have a bigger butts than the others, too. Kinda the J-Lo's of the P-car issue. Coupes seem to be what the 911 seems to be meant for. And, C4S's seem to be the best of the lot. IMHO again.

Same/same with colors. The color of my first Porsche seemed 'nice' when I got it, but I don't know what I was thinking as I look back. And, I almost got a green 997. (shaking head ... )

Anyway, the Golden Targa P-car is not to my liking ... and I don't care for the wheels much either. Just my opinion and many in this thread disagree.

Ain't it great ?!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I've had a handful or so of 911s over the years. Some models are .... well, less beautific than others IMO.

Targas have never been at the top of my list of "must have" P-cars. They still aren't. Cabs seem to have a bigger butts than the others, too. Kinda the J-Lo's of the P-car issue. Coupes seem to be what the 911 seems to be meant for. And, C4S's seem to be the best of the lot. IMHO again.

Same/same with colors. The color of my first Porsche seemed 'nice' when I got it, but I don't know what I was thinking as I look back. And, I almost got a green 997. (shaking head ... )

Anyway, the Golden Targa P-car is not to my liking ... and I don't care for the wheels much either. Just my opinion and many in this thread disagree.

Ain't it great ?!!
I recall when you were seriously thinking about getting the Forest Green with Sand Beige interior, and I was hoping you would get it so I could see some good pics of that combo. I still think that would be a very stunning and rich looking 997, very much on the order of the Carmona Red with Sand Beige interior.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a new truck recently .... I almost got Forest Green/Beige. But, found a different combo on the lot and leased that. FORD.

The FG/B 911 idea was squashed when I drove to RI and found a Cayman there that color. Altho, it was not a 911, it was close enuf for me to nix that combo for me.

I'm happy with my new selection. I just hope it is delivered a bit early.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

I think people have become really conservative about car colors. Dont know whether its good or bad but almost every single Porsche I see is silver/grey/black. If you look at used ones there are pages and pages of silver and black ones. They are a dime a dozen. I hear the same argument - what about resale value.

Its kind of illogical actually because the theory is that you pick the same color to appeal to the widest range of people. If that is correct than why not just paint the cars all the same color with no choice ala Henry Ford - you can have it any color you want as long as its black . He wasnt far off the mark actually.

On a car as individual, expensive and special as a Porsche do you really want it to be the same as every other car on the road? I dont but thats just me. I keep reading that "the right color for a Porsche is X".

There really is no "right" color. If you go back back to the beginning of the company and examine their original color charts their was always silver and black but there were tons of other colors - reds, blues, burgandys, greens, yellows that are just not available today.

Porsche used to be known as having very vibrant colors. Guards red and the speed yellow are nice as is the cobalt blue but the rest... is well... kind of well dreary. 4 shades of grey, dark blues that look almost black, etc...

I read an interesting article about it recently - whatever happened to all the good colors.... Of course there is that custom option for 4K
Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought, dwelled, debated, polled the forum, asked my wife, priest, rabbi, 4th grade school teacher and the local drunk on which color I should get.

The forum...all knowing... said SILVER ..as it is the best resale
The Wife ....never wrong... said BLUE...as it matches her eyes
The Priest...empowerd to know such things...said WHITE as it reflects from above
The Rabbi...said BLACK...as it is the color for the orthodox
The Teacher...said GUARDS RED...as it was true the color of her undergarments that I imagined
The Drunk....said..."what the heck is a Porsche...is that like a Bud Lite?"

So I went with Carmon.........
Old 01-25-2007, 06:28 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Sounds like a modern day parable.

I read recently that Porsche is discontinuing Carmon because its not selling. I guess it has to much color for the every car must be silver or black crowd.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the parable is that leasing, instead of buying, is the best color "insurance"
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I saw and sat in an identical Targa for the first time yesterday. The color does look better in person, but I could never imagine buying it - to me it just seems on the "odd" side. Having owned 993 and 996 Targas, I can say I still like the glasstop concept and I would consider a Targa again in the future.

The Targa has been the odd man out in the line, though - 996 sales were more or less dismal, and I was somewhat surprised to see it resurrected in the 997 line, although the 996 to 997 roof line did not change, making it easy for PAG to knock out some 997 Targas with minor retooling.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I think people have become really conservative about car colors. Dont know whether its good or bad but almost every single Porsche I see is silver/grey/black. If you look at used ones there are pages and pages of silver and black ones. They are a dime a dozen. I hear the same argument - what about resale value.

Its kind of illogical actually because the theory is that you pick the same color to appeal to the widest range of people. If that is correct than why not just paint the cars all the same color with no choice ala Henry Ford - you can have it any color you want as long as its black . He wasnt far off the mark actually.

On a car as individual, expensive and special as a Porsche do you really want it to be the same as every other car on the road? I dont but thats just me. I keep reading that "the right color for a Porsche is X".

There really is no "right" color. If you go back back to the beginning of the company and examine their original color charts their was always silver and black but there were tons of other colors - reds, blues, burgandys, greens, yellows that are just not available today.

Porsche used to be known as having very vibrant colors. Guards red and the speed yellow are nice as is the cobalt blue but the rest... is well... kind of well dreary. 4 shades of grey, dark blues that look almost black, etc...

I read an interesting article about it recently - whatever happened to all the good colors.... Of course there is that custom option for 4K
I totally agree! We need more COLOR in our cars (and not just P-cars)!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

it's definetely one of those Nissan Z color..... what color was it? LeMans Yellow or somthing... or was it Mustard?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jnx
Looks great. Love those wheels.

-1 Looks too busy....GR
Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
it's definetely one of those Nissan Z color..... what color was it? LeMans Yellow or somthing... or was it Mustard?
Sunset Orange IIRC. It's definitely NOT the same, the Nissan color is much more orangey and this is much more goldy.

That's it, I'm going to settle this by flying to LA, renting an orange Z, driving to the lot where one of these sits, and taking picts of how different they are in person. Be Right Back.

Quick Reply: Nordic Gold Targa @ Detroit Auto Show pics