Sponsored by:

Which Headers / Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:59 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Three comments:

1) IMHO - AWE on 997S is terrific. Great sound, excellent quality, competitive price. I had cats and muffler and loved the system.

2) Numbers - Not sure how you argue that the numbers are hoopla? AWE posts the actual dyno results. Seems hard to argue with the numbers. That said, the sound is what mattered to me and it was great.

3) Fabspeed - Waiting on my Fabspeed system to arrive for my TT. Can't wait. Stock muffler sounds (or doesn't sound) awful

My two cents.
Tim
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, restriction impact on power is pretty much Engines 101. I think we all know that less air and more restriction in the exhaust = less power. We have a pair of Vespas down at the shore and because of the US laws governing scooters vs. motorcycles, each muffler has a "restriction ring" welded in as a way to lower the escape of exhaust gas. With the restriction in, the Vespa is rated at about 2 HP. Those who remove it (drill it out), then basically a Euro specification Vespa, is rated at about 5 HP. Same intake, carburator, 49cc engine - but just a higher-restriction exhaust.

So apply that to any car - more restriction = less power. So why does it sound unreasonable that if you had better flowing headers, cats, and exhaust that you would receive more power? One of the ways the X51 package provides more power is that the intake and headers are higher flow / lower restriction. There's an article online about the X51 headers and it talks about how the 997S header is a left-over from the 3.6 liter 996 engine and that the X51 header was designed specifically for the 997S 3.8 liter engine.

In the end I got a very special deal on an "as new" AWE set of headers, cats, and exhaust (was on a car for about 3 weeks / 500 miles). We shall see...
Old 02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997driver
For those who are waiting on the Borla, hang tight, it's almost here. I just got my car back from them this morning and have had a blast with my car all day. I'll be giving them feedback within the next weeks and see what happens from there. I have the mufflers and the headers, and the car's sound has really changed. It sounds so deep and throaty and a lot louder! It's hard to explain in words so one of these days i'll shoot pics and get video of it if Dave Borla allows me to show the system to the public.
This is going to be my choice probably as I had a great experience with Borla on my M3 as well as some of my Mustang Cobras. Is the "race" system with the headers? Also, do you think the muffler will include the tips??

Can't wait..

Dave
Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
soc_fans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have fabspeed on my car and i love the sound!

Previously, i had techart exhaust on my car.. realized that nobody here mentioned about techart mufflers. They sound more sporty and throatier than my fabspeed in my opinion. Its still lying on my garage now and i'm thinking to sell it, anyone ?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
This is going to be my choice probably as I had a great experience with Borla on my M3 as well as some of my Mustang Cobras. Is the "race" system with the headers? Also, do you think the muffler will include the tips??

Can't wait..

Dave
The "race system" utilized mufflers headers and test pipes aka cat bypasses. They haven't gotten the results they wanted from the r&d with that system. The system I have is the "street" system which utilizes mufflers and headers. The mufflers will come with tips and will probabally come with different options as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:56 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
In the end I got a very special deal on an "as new" AWE set of headers, cats, and exhaust (was on a car for about 3 weeks / 500 miles). We shall see...
I can't wait to hear your review... I have been so torn on this issue. I had the Champion F77 kit in mind (Champion CF airbox, Tubi header/exhaust, GIAC flash), but then there were a ton of naysayers.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Porshaphile
Advanced

Question

[QUOTE=RonCT]So apply that to any car - more restriction = less power. So why does it sound unreasonable that if you had better flowing headers, cats, and exhaust that you would receive more power? One of the ways the X51 package provides more power is that the intake and headers are higher flow / lower restriction. There's an article online about the X51 headers and it talks about how the 997S header is a left-over from the 3.6 liter 996 engine and that the X51 header was designed specifically for the 997S 3.8 liter engine.

RonCT,

Could you point me to that article online about comparing the 997S header to the X51 header? I've got AWE cats and mufflers and am trying to decide wheather to keep my stock 997S headers, get AWE headers or go with a set of X51 header take-offs that I can get for a couple hundred dollars.
Also, any opinions or experience with putting X51 headers on a 997S would be appreciated from anyone.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I can't wait to hear your review... I have been so torn on this issue. I had the Champion F77 kit in mind (Champion CF airbox, Tubi header/exhaust, GIAC flash), but then there were a ton of naysayers.
I'm sure it's a fine package but the price is outrageous for the Champion kit.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's one of the write-ups I found about the 997S headers:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=103

There was another that talked about the development of the X51 header as being a proper replacement for the undersized stock 997/997S headers - will try to locate it.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Porshaphile
Advanced

Thanks RonCT. Good info from Sharkwerks.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Here's one of the write-ups I found about the 997S headers:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=103
I second the thanks for this reference. Sure looks like a nice system.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 AM
oc997
Racer

I had B&B exhaust before on my M3 and they are garbage. The build quality is not great and i felt i lost so much low end torque.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by soc_fans
I have fabspeed on my car and i love the sound!

Previously, i had techart exhaust on my car.. realized that nobody here mentioned about techart mufflers. They sound more sporty and throatier than my fabspeed in my opinion. Its still lying on my garage now and i'm thinking to sell it, anyone ?
pm sent....why aren't they on your car?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oalvarez
pm sent....why aren't they on your car?

I have a BRAND NEW EVO MS Cold-Air Intake lying around, actually it's underneath my bed! The filter is still in plastic! I'll sell cheap cheap!
Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 AM
nate barsky
Intermediate

I just had Fabspeed install headers and their muffler delete pipes with sport resenators connected to straight pipes ending in sexy twin tips. She's loud but sounds like she should. In the cabin the sound is perfect with out being intrusive. I also have their intake and software. My car breaks loose when wot in third gear. Could MOT be happier with the product and service. Jeremy the man. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Which Headers / Exhaust?